The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 15, 2015, 01:24 PM   #1
Roland Thunder

Shipping handguns

I am sure there are threads discussing this but when I search using the search word shipping, it brings back too many results to go through all of them, so I will ask here:

What are the guidelines for shipping a handgun? I noticed on sites like Gun Broker, et al, some of the postings offer priority mail:$35. I was told by my LGS that handguns have to be shipped 2nd day air which could be as much as $60, would be my guess.
Old November 15, 2015, 01:41 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Non-FFLs cannot ship handguns by mail (but we can mail long guns). For handguns, the rest of us unwashed masses have to ship guns by UPS or FedEx. It isn't law, but both companies have regulations requiring firearms to be shipped by 2nd day air.

FFLs can send handguns by mail through the USPS. If a handgun is small enough to fit in the small Flat Rate Priority box, an FFL can mail it for $5.95, compared to whatever UPS or FedEx would charge you for a 2nd day air shipment.
Old November 15, 2015, 01:54 PM   #3
Roland Thunder

My local gun store who is an FFL told me that for them to ship a gun there would be a $35 FFL
fee plus shipping which had to be 2nd Day Air.

However they have been known to be wrong. They're also known for never missing an opportunity to make an extra buck off their members
Old November 15, 2015, 02:28 PM   #4
AzShooter

Some FFL dealers will ship your gun for as little as $20 plus cost of shipping which is much cheaper for the Dealer than for you. Ask around and find the best deal.
I'm lucky. My FFL dealer won't take any money from me except the true cost of shipping.
Old November 15, 2015, 03:21 PM   #5
dogtown tom

Read the sticky

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=539529

Quote:
AzShooter Some FFL dealers will ship your gun for as little as $20 plus cost of shipping
I do it for $10

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old November 16, 2015, 08:48 AM   #6
hoghunting

Quote:
dogtown tom....I do it for $10
dogtown tom has shipped a few of my handguns and did it much cheaper than any other local FFL, his transfer fees are significantly cheaper than our LGS. Highly recommend dogtown tom if you're in the Dallas to McKinney area.
Old November 16, 2015, 09:21 AM   #7
aarondhgraham

shipmygun.com

http://www.shipmygun.com/go/

This is a place that will ship your handgun for $39.00.

I've been told it's run by Buds Gun Shop,,,
But I have no idea if that's true or not.

It's perfectly legal and available to us mere mortals,,,
Who don't have access to a friendly FFL.

But do ask around some different gun shops,,,
My FFL is one who ships handguns by USPS for $10.00,,,
That's in addition to his normal FFL transfer fee of only $20.00.

Bear in mind though that there is no law controlling their shipping prices,,,
One local FFL charges the full $70.00 that FedEx or UPS does,,,
You can understand that he just doesn't want to do it.

I'm thinking in a large enough city,,,
An FFL holder could do okay just shipping and receiving.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old November 16, 2015, 10:41 AM   #8
chris in va

A local FFL uses UPS Ground and they only charged about $15 to ship mine across country.
Old November 16, 2015, 04:36 PM   #9
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in VA
A local FFL uses UPS Ground and they only charged about $15 to ship mine across country.
He is probably cheating, and not declaring the contents as a firearm. UPS regulations require that firearms be shipped by 2nd Day Air. There is no exception (that I'm aware of) for FFL dealers. The reason for the regulation is that UPS used to ship a lot of guns, and a lot of guns were stolen from UPS by UPS employees. Requiring 2nd Day Air reduces the time in transit, thus reducing the time the package is exposed to theft. Also, I believe the tracking is better for 2nd Day Air shipments, which also reduces the possibility of a gun package going walkabout.

If that's what he's doing, I wonder if he knows he's breaking Federal law by doing so.

18 U.S. Code § 922 - Unlawful acts

Quote:
Originally Posted by § 922(e)
(e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped; except that any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip without violating any of the provisions of this chapter. No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.
In other words, Federal law doesn't require 2nd Day Air, but UPS requires 2nd Day Air if the package contains a firearm. And Federal law requires that the shipper inform UPS (in writing) when the package contains a firearm, at which point UPS will require that it go by 2nd Day Air.
Old November 16, 2015, 04:48 PM   #10
Roland Thunder

Here's another twist

I just talked to an FFL here in the metro Atlanta area where I live. He said that I can ship via Fed Ex or UPS myself and I only need an FFL on the receiving end. I need and FFL on both sending and receiving end if using USPS, according to him.
Old November 16, 2015, 07:04 PM   #11
laytonj1

Quote:
I wonder if he knows he's breaking Federal law by doing so.
He's not breaking any law.

Quote:
It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped;
See the area I highlighted above in the statement you posted. It's only required by law if it's being shipped to a non FFL.

See last paragraph of ATF letter below.

Jim

Last edited by laytonj1; November 16, 2015 at 07:09 PM.
Old November 16, 2015, 08:32 PM   #12
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by laytonj1
He's not breaking any law.

Quote:
It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped;
See the area I highlighted above in the statement you posted. It's only required by law if it's being shipped to a non FFL.
You're right. And I actually knew that, but I had it wrong for so long that my dinosaur brain reverted to the default setting.

Thanks for the correction.
Old November 17, 2015, 04:20 PM   #13
dogtown tom

Quote:
aarondhgraham http://www.shipmygun.com/go/

This is a place that will ship your handgun for $39.00.

I've been told it's run by Buds Gun Shop,,,
But I have no idea if that's true or not.
If you click on the "About" tab it tells you they are a division of Bud's

What they don't tell you is that the drop off isn't always as close as you would like. (you still have to use a UPS Customer Service Center).

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old November 17, 2015, 07:48 PM   #14
claydoctor

In addition to being able to use USPS for handgun shipments , I believe FFL holders are able to utilize 2nd day air with UPS , whereas mere mortals are required by UPS to use overnight shipping . Thats why dealers pay half the approximately $70 that we get stuck with .
Old November 18, 2015, 01:20 PM   #15
dogtown tom

Quote:
claydoctor In addition to being able to use USPS for handgun shipments , I believe FFL holders are able to utilize 2nd day air with UPS , whereas mere mortals are required by UPS to use overnight shipping . Thats why dealers pay half the approximately $70 that we get stuck with .
No UPS (or FedEx) policy allows dealers such an exemption.

Do enough volume (like Bud's) and the cost of UPS Next Day shipping is less than USPS Priority Mail.

Old November 18, 2015, 08:42 PM   #16
Dreaming100Straight

I just shipped a handgun to Sig via Fed EX and there is an exception that allows shipment by 2nd day air to manufacturers on a approved list of manufacturers. UPS may or may not have the same deal. Otherwise, I believe you have to ship overnight air express.

This was done with a RMA label provided by Sig.

Last edited by Dreaming100Straight; November 18, 2015 at 09:16 PM.
Old November 19, 2015, 09:34 AM   #17
Roland Thunder

I called FedEx customer service yesterday and they told me that I could not ship a firearm, 2nd day air, overnight or any other way unless I was a dealer
Old November 19, 2015, 01:49 PM   #18
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregInAtl
I called FedEx customer service yesterday and they told me that I could not ship a firearm, 2nd day air, overnight or any other way unless I was a dealer
The person you spoke with obviously doesn't understand company policy.
  • Note the applicable FedEx Rules (emphasis added):
    Quote:
    Firearms
    1. Carrier will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:

1. Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or

2. Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).

• Note UPS Rules (emphasis added):
    Quote:
    UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) for transportation only (a) between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code), and government agencies and (b) where not otherwise prohibited by federal, state or local law (i) from an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector; and (ii) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to an individual.

And BTW, last week I shipped a couple of Glocks off to Robar for some work. I packed them well and took them down to our local FedEx "hub." There I said to the counter person, "In compliance with your tariffs, I'm advising you that the package contains unloaded firearms being shipped to a federal firearms licensee." The guy at the counter didn't bat an eye.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old November 22, 2015, 09:45 AM   #19
VTRich

My FFL ships handguns for $20 plus cost of shipping. He uses USPS Priority Mail. USPS will not ship handguns if you are not an FFL.

UPS and FedEx will ship handguns if you are not an FFL (if you are shipping to an FFL), but they have to be dropped off at a Hub (The UPS Stores will not accept guns), and they must be shipped overnight.

Even with the $20 fee my FFL charges, shipping handguns is cheaper through him, since he can use priority mail. I have shipped long guns via the USPS and UPS several times.

UPS will ship a long gun ground (at least they have for me). I always inform them that it's a long gun, and they usually ask to see a copy of the FFL that it's being shipped to. Sometimes they just look at FFL and give it back, and other times they keep it ??. I've found shipping UPS Ground is usually cheaper than USPS if you are insuring it, which I always do.