The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 8, 2010, 08:04 PM   #1
ozzman

Hornady SST 20 gauge shells

I own a 870 and 11-87 Remington 20 gauge synthetic shotgun and purchased a few boxes of SST Hornady shells. I noticed that out of the box, some shells the tip is right to the end of the casing and some are at least a quarter inch away from the end of the casing. I can actually shake the sabot slug so that it moves to the end. Does this sound normal? I can load all shells in my shotgun and all of them tight to end of casing and when I unload they are all over the place. Some casing ends aren't even flat, on a slight angle. Once the slug comes out it will not fly out the way it should? I have been finding that some shells are going all over the place. It doesn't seem normal to me that I can shake a sabot slug around like that. Some shells are purchased in Orlando, and the rest in two different places in Ontario. All different batch numbers. If anyone can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated. I couldn't find an email address for Hornady. Thanks
Old September 8, 2010, 08:06 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I've never used the 20ga version, but I don't see why it would be any different than the 12ga version that I have used and, no, they should not do that.
Old September 8, 2010, 09:13 PM   #3
zippy13

Greetings ozzman, and welconme aboard,

By chance, were the rounds (with the loose slugs) in the magazine when your gun was fired, and then returned to the box? It could be a case of recoil induced bullet pull that loosened the sabots. Typically, we hear of pull being a concern with revolver loads; but, stranger things have happened with shotguns.

Here's a link to contact Hornady's tech reps: http://www.hornady.com/contact_us
Old September 8, 2010, 11:30 PM   #4
Hoskins

I have Hornaday SST 20 gauge for my wifes Mossberg 500 & they have always been great, no problems, & very accurate.
Old September 9, 2010, 05:08 AM   #5
ozzman

Zippy, the shells were all new and never been fired, just loaded and unloaded as I was bear hunting on the weekend. I would load them and they would be to the top and when I unload them, they would be all over the place and I could shake them back up. I'm not sure if they should be up or down.
Old September 9, 2010, 05:09 AM   #6
ozzman

HOSKINS, if you have time could you look at your shells and see if there is a quarter inch gap at the top of the shell or if they are all at the top. Thanks.
Old September 9, 2010, 10:15 AM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The 12ga version is consistently just below flush with the top. I don't have one right here, it doesn't seem like it was a 1/4 inch, more like and 1/8 or less, but it was consistent.
Old December 12, 2010, 10:33 PM   #8
Hoskins

I have been off the net for a while, but to answer your question... all my shotshells have a gap.