The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 30, 2012, 10:57 PM   #1
Once Fired

Shopping list help?

Hi all

I'm ready to start casting my projectiles.

I've think I have the concepts down now about smelting lead. I've done two sessions over the propane turkey fryer, and I think I am starting to get the groove of it.

I've got my new stainless steel condiment cups for ingots instead of the baking steel muffin tins. Hopefully those will not give me the fits the muffin molds did re: extricating the ingots.

I've got my bottom pour melting pot, pristine and ready to work. Safety equipment is good to go - including a cheap leather apron I just picked up at Harbor Freight. That'll be better than the huge sweatshirt I was wearing in the summer evenings. hahahahah

I plan on quenching in a bucket of ice water so I can handle the boolits faster overall. And I plan to tumble lube.

So, my question is this - which mold should I get? I am casting for my Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm, as well as my wife's Kahr CW9. The last things I need to buy are the mold, liquid alox

I found there are several more versions of the 9mm mold than I originally anticipated. I am looking for general purpose projectiles - I figure I want to buy one mold and cast the heck out of it, and want them to very hopefully work in any 9mm pistol. So I am choosing round nose, and 125g since that is what I have been shooting from store-bought, and it seems quite common.

Please check my shopping list, and see if I am missing anything.

Do I need a punch for the lube/sizer, or anything else you can think of?

Thanks!

ZAG
Texas Security Guard Jobs
Old August 30, 2012, 11:41 PM   #2
Adamantium

Well if you are going to tumble lube the bullets why now buy a tumble lube mold? Thats what I use and it works great. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/476...2-ogive-radius

The resizer will come with the punch to push the bullets through, it will go where the shell holder normally goes. Have you been shooting .356 lead bullets through your two guns already? If not it may be worthwhile to slug the bores and make sure they are both .355. A lot of us size our 9mm bullets to .358 because 9mm barrels can consistently run a bit big compared to other calibers.
Old August 31, 2012, 07:02 AM   #3
Shootest

For tumble lube I would consider this bullet.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/340...truncated-cone
Or this one if you must use a round nose.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/476...2-ogive-radius
Old August 31, 2012, 08:25 AM   #4
chris in va

Slug your bores first. My CZ's boolits wouldn't stop tumbling until I got a mold for a 38 Special and sized them at 358. 356 just went in sideways.

As for tumble lube I just use mineral spirits and johnson's Paste Wax. No tacky mess like ALOX.

I haven't had any luck with dedicated tumble lube bullets. Just stick with the regular versions. My go-to is the Lee 358-125-rf.
Old August 31, 2012, 01:40 PM   #5
Once Fired

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

@ Chris in VA
I have no idea how to slug a bore. I know what it is, but I don't even know what equipment I'd need, let alone how to do it properly. I love the advice, and appreciate it. But that is also the only time I have heard I should slug first. Not saying you're wrong - just outnumbered.

For now, I will go with the mold identified here as 124g tumble lube (good catch on that in particular) and test that out. From everything I have researched, that seems to be the general consensus.

Thanks again,
ZAG
Texas Security Guard Jobs
Old August 31, 2012, 06:31 PM   #6
chris in va

Slugging is actually very easy. Grease the barrel, the using a wood or aluminum dowel, tap a lead bullet down the bore from the chamber end. Measure across the widest point on the 'slug' and voila...there's your bore diameter.

Keel in mind the 'tumble lube' bullet design does absolutely nothing, and much of the grooves will be ironed out anyway once it's sized. Been there, done that.

Tags
casting , cavity , lube , mold , sizer