The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 11, 2000, 08:04 PM   #1
ol blue

I was just wondering if someone here would be able to tell me what's different about these two chamberings. I assume that the Palma chamber would be shorter overall to fit the 155gr bullet specifically? Anything else different? Same dimensions otherwise? Thanks for your help....ol blue
Old August 12, 2000, 08:21 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Ol Blue, I haven't seen anything on the chamber dimensions but I'm sure that you're correct about the shorter throat. I did read where they had special ordered their barrels with a 1 in 13 twist. They have a web site. I don't know what info they might be willing to share but you could ask them. http://www.palma.org/ George
Old August 13, 2000, 01:08 AM   #3
ol blue

Thanks George. I used the link you referred to and was indeed able to find a friendly guy named Grant over there that had the answers to my questions. For others who might be curious about this as I was, basically, the Palma chamber will be tighter bodied, shorter throat, tighter straighter neck, with a shallower lead angle on the bullet....ol blue
Old August 15, 2000, 08:57 PM   #4
Bud Helms

'Sounds like a way to get a chamber closer to the minimum side of SAAMI's tolerances. I was not aware of a "Palma" chamber.

A friend of mine had a 700V built in 7mm-08 with a "tight neck". What a pain in the arse. A SAMMI minimum chamber would be more practical, not withstanding the occasional commercial brass that might need some sizing for the first firing.

I guess you might need a custom sizing die to take advantage of a SAAMI minimum or Palma chamber?
Old August 18, 2000, 06:11 PM   #5
Bud Helms

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited August 18, 2000).]
Old August 18, 2000, 06:13 PM   #6
Bud Helms

Fellas, the question mark signified I was asking a question. Are Palma dies needed with Palma chambers?

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited August 18, 2000).]
Old August 19, 2000, 01:49 PM   #7
ol blue

Sensop, I don't really know for certain,so don't take this as me knowing what I'm talking about, but I don't think special dies are needed. I know some people are using it to acheive a shorter throat in rifles where it is hard to get anywhere near the lands. That's one advantage of the Palma chamber. There may be disadvantages as well. The shallower lead angle is specifically for the 155gr Palma bullets, as I understand it. So don't know how it works with other bullet shapes. Maybe someone else knows some more about it...ol blue