The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 1, 2010, 12:06 PM   #1
blackdog_507

DPMS Sportical???

Looking to buy my first AR-15/M4 Rifle. I've been looking at them for months (since roughly November 2nd, 2008). The main reason I haven't "pulled the trigger" is that I didn't want to follow to the crowd. However, after doing considerable reseach on AR alternatives (mini 14, etc.) and after shooting a couple that belong to friends, I've found that they're just a really nice platform. Light, handy, reliable, customizable, etc, and I really want a semi-auto 223, all I have now is a savage bolt. My ONLY problem since deciding to buy one is price. I've never spent $1,000 on a gun before. I've found the DPMS sporticals are pretty reasonable at $650 to $700. I know they don't have a chrome lined barrel, no forward assist, etc, but to be honest, I probably won't shoot it all that often. It will be range/plinking toy, and of course nice to have around "just in case". Is the sportical a rifle that will fit my needs? should I spend an extra $2-$400 to move into a stag, bushmaster, armalite, or colt? What is the general consensus on the sportical? Advice please?
Old January 1, 2010, 05:35 PM   #2
cimarronvalley

DPMS

Whats not to love? I've got 7 of them in various models/configurations; 5 Ar-10 and 2 AR-15. I've got the AR-15 Tactical 16" bull (I think they quit making it), an AR-15 custom 20" target upper on a Superior Arms lower. In the big boys I've got 3 - 308s (2 of them 16" heavy barrel Sporticals and a 24" sniper), an LR308 lower with a 20 bull .243 upper quad rail, and a Remington R-25 (DPMS) .243 with the 20" fluted barrel. All accurate and reliable.
Old January 1, 2010, 06:00 PM   #3
RockyMtnTactical

The cheapest I would go is Stag Arms.
Old January 1, 2010, 06:15 PM   #4
tju1973

I actually almost bought one from sportingarms.com for somewhere around $675-- but I found a Stag Model 2 for $800 NIB. Nothing at all wrong with the Sportical, but after you spend money for irons to put on it, the price wasn't that different than the Stag. I still may get a Sportical in .308 then get a .243 upper for it (or a .338 FedMag), but right now the Stag worked best for me out of the box...
here is the one I put on layaway--
http://www.stagarms.com/product_info...roducts_id=206
Old January 1, 2010, 07:30 PM   #5
Quentin2

The Sportical isn't a bad choice since you said you're willing to live with its limitations. It should work well but I'd aim a little higher though. Since you have buddies with ARs why not examine theirs more closely. As said earlier Stag is a good lower price AR and very accurate. S&W has been having sales.

Look at the CMMG bargain bin ARs for $600 or you could build your own for $700+. I went the latter route and have to say I'm pleased with my rifle and there's a lot of pride when someone asks what it is and I reply "a custom build."
Old January 1, 2010, 07:31 PM   #6
Lloyd Smale

Ive got 8 differnt ars from most of the manufactures and i think my favorite one to grab and go to the range with is my sportical. Its light and accurate and runs like the energizer bunny. personaly i think its one of the best bangs for your buck in an ar.
Old January 1, 2010, 07:38 PM   #7
Catfish25p2000

The sportical is a good rifle, I would just hate to see you get one, then wish you got a different model and your stuck with a sportical. Check into S&W Optic ready carbines. Right now they have a deal going where you get some free mags also. I would say save your money and get the "full" AR.
Old January 2, 2010, 01:11 AM   #8
silent_warrior

I bought a DPMS LPC (16" Bull Barrel, flat top upper) a little more than a year ago, paid $750. I didnt know much about AR15s at the time. Since then, I've learned there are better options out there... but I still haven't found a better rifle for the money, IMO. Especially now, with virtually all AR15s netting 4-digits new, I'm sticking with my choice. The nice thing about the AR15 platform, is almost any accessory you add to one can be latter removed and added to another.

I'm sure a chrome lined 1:7 twist barrel would be nice, but my 1:9 bull is pretty darn accurate for an out of the box semi auto. I'm told the forward assist plunger is a "must have" though I'm not sure why. Mine doesnt have it, and my way of thinking tells me that if you have a problem chambering the round you should just eject it and chamber then next. And if your rifle repeatedly fails to chamber ammunition, something is wrong, and it's not that you lack a forward assist. The dust cover would be nice to have, but for the difference in price, I'll get over it. A piston system is the only thing I think would really improve the rifle, but again, for the price difference... I'm happy with what I've got. The great thing about the AR15 platform is that you can change it, modify it, and upgrade it however you please. If I want a different barrel down the road, just swap it in. New upper with forward assist? Around $100 and it's yours. Even want to add a gas piston system? Enough dough will buy you a conversion kit for that as well.

My advise is to shop around and look at all your options. Buy one that fits your budget that you won't regret buying later on. Realize that you're first one probably won't end up perfect, and as you shoot it and customize it you're going to see little things here and there that you'd like to change. When your budget allows, you can alter the one you've got, or buy a second. Personally, I'm happy with my DPMS as I have it set up now. It's not perfect, but I'm satisfied. Granted, I've also added quite a few things that may come factory on other rifles, like 4-rail handguards, Flip-up BUIS, and a 6-position stock. I plan to leave it how I have it, and when my budget allows, buy a SCAR16.
Old January 2, 2010, 01:19 AM   #9
Tucker 1371

I wouldn't buy anything from DPMS less than an AP4. I think you could buy the Sportical and be happy with it for a while but you'll end up wishing you had waited a little longer to pick up a decent AR. Go with a Rock River at the least is my recommendation. If you've got the patience Colts can be found for just a hair over a thousand, that's what I'd do. Just my 2 cents.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old January 4, 2010, 03:09 AM   #10
chineseboxer

I was in the same boat, I went with a stag model 2. The Sportical was about 650 I got the stag for $793. If your just gonna plink, the Sportical is a great rifle. If you plan to run it hard you may want to upgrade some. But don't be afraid of the Sportical, it is a great gun for the money.
Old January 4, 2010, 03:25 AM   #11
10-96

I've recently been able to check out a couple of the CMMG Bargain Bin Rifles. Man, they really under sell those things. I had to look hard to find any sort of blemish on either one, and was kinda torqued off to find that I'd bought a Rock River that had more dings and a less quality finish than the CMMG's.
http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/...09748&cat=161&

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old January 4, 2010, 07:53 AM   #12
gotigers

shop for a S&W M&P15 ORC or a Stag or CMMG bargain bin. If those dont work for you get the Sportical. Nothing wrong with it for your intended use. IF you want more later, just change the upper.
Old January 4, 2010, 08:40 AM   #13
Lloyd Smale

dont know about the guys worrying about having problems because you shoot it alot. My sportical has seen about 5000 rounds so far and its not showing a bit of wear. Only part added was a heavier ejector spring and donut but i do that to all of my ars.

Tags
223 , ar-15 , ar15 , dpms , m4 carbine