The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 15, 2013, 04:43 PM   #26
Skitter

I guess the cool thing about reloading is you can figure out how far into the physics you want to go. Me, I just want to find something that I can shoot paper with and bring down babmi and thumper at 100yds
Old March 15, 2013, 05:13 PM   #27
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

If you really want to gain insight into what's happening when you pull the trigger, get yourself QuickLoad.

It predicts the pressure and velocities generated by any load combination that the user can create from it's massive database of cartridges, powders and bullets.

There's a ton to learn and good results from QuickLoad require that the user is reasonably knowledgeable in both the input variables and the intricacies of the software but what it can tell you is amazing.

Burn rate charts, I've never even looked at one.
Old March 15, 2013, 05:48 PM   #28
TimW77

ABCs of Reloading

I'll upset the internet experts but...

Forget the "ABCs of Reloading", buy a REAL & RECENT reloading manual that includes reloading data!!!

My first choice is the new Lyman 49th edition.

T.
Old March 15, 2013, 06:34 PM   #29
Skitter

Brian, you are not helping us cheapskates
Old March 15, 2013, 08:25 PM   #30
Slamfire

Quote:
I'm also really curious about casing design. How and why exact lengths, diameters, angles, etc. were chosen and what they do for the performance of the cartridge.

Hopefully I can find materials pursuant to this.
If you ever find them, please post the sources. This is a topic I have been looking at, spent hours going through reports on DTIC and there is very little information out there on case design.

The best concept presentation on cartridge design that I have found starts section 4-76, page 4-117 in AMCP 706-247 Ammunition Series:

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=AD830296

This section at least provides basics on what a cartridge case is supposed to do, but specifics such as shoulder angles, have not found that yet.
Old March 15, 2013, 09:43 PM   #31
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitter View Post
Brian, you are not helping us cheapskates
Sorry.

Slamfire,

QuickLoad (and its associated program QuickDesign) is good for that too. It's doesn't "explain" the changes but you can change things and see what it does.
Old March 16, 2013, 08:41 AM   #32
Bart B.

Slamfire deserves a huge monetary reward for posting that link on ammo design and technical stuff. We all should send him a huge check with lots of numbers before the decimal point. If we don't have funds to cover it, we can get a loan someplace.

Kudos to you Slamfire, you did good.

As soon as I learn how to write, I'll fill one out and send it to you.
Old March 16, 2013, 10:46 AM   #33
Idaho Spud

I cut my reloading teeth on the 1st edition of "ABC's" by Dean Grennell way back, also on John Wooters (great book, esp the section on boolit casting) and Geo. Nonte. These are mostly out of print, find 'em at your local library. They all had informative sections on boolit casting the way we used to do it, such as home made Kookie Kutters, bullet sizer "dies", some of which were nothing more than polished holes in steel, etc. And then the free wheel weights. Lead in any form was mostly free. Ah, the good old days. Sometimes I think we have it TOO good today. Little ingenuity.

That said, after 25+ years of dippin' boolits, I'd have a tough time giving up my Lee Pro 20 bottom pour pot (and a few other things!)
Old March 16, 2013, 04:13 PM   #34
reynolds357

Lee Reloading Manual tells you most of what you need to know to get started.

Tags
beginner , hand gun , reloading