The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 26, 2007, 09:18 PM   #1
ARmasterzach

Chokeing questions.

what is the effect on a lead only choke when you shoot steel through it? Also can you buy a choke that will accept slugs?
Old August 27, 2007, 09:23 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Don't shoot steel through a choke marked lead only. The choke may head downrange.

Shotguns and grenades have similar working pressures.

Most slugs work well through Mod chokes or less.

HTH....
Old August 28, 2007, 08:43 PM   #3
nutty ned

They make rifled choke tubes.
Usually it is the full choke that has to be made for steel, mod or more open choke tubes are good to go. If you have any worries call your manufacturers customer service.
I will shoot a foster slug if I have to through a full choke tube. But having posted that, when a deer stumbles by when I'm hunting small game, I'm usually using a full choked barrel on an older gun.
Old August 29, 2007, 02:26 PM   #4
ARmasterzach

I put some T steel shot through the extra full lead only choke and checked everything out after one shot and it looked fine. I put another 20 or so through and nothing has happened. dont think ill put a slug through it though.
I took the choke out and shot a few slugs through and screwed the choke back in so it worked out alright. But nothing is scarrier than slowly pulling the trigger waiting for something bad to happen.
Old September 6, 2007, 11:33 AM   #5
dakotashooter2

I can't say for sure however I wonder if it isn't partly safety and partly a marketing issue. Steel and other "hard" shots tend to pattern tighter than lead. It has always been recommended that you drop at least one choke size (with standard lead tubes). In other words to obtain "full choke patterns with steel you want to use a modified choke. I've never checked but I suspect that a "made for steel" choke will probably measure out larger than the similar "lead" choke.

Hard shots could potentially cause problems with chokes because the shot cannot compress and deform as it passes through like lead shot does, however those problems most likely would occur with large size shot and tightly patterned chokes. I could see where a large payload of BB size shot or larger through an extra full (lead) choke may raise pressures enough to "blow out" a choke but have yet to hear or see an actual case. You can bet the manufactures are going to CYA by saying it is dangerous across the board.

Another factor may be the backbored and overbored barrels very common now. I suspect they would be "less" prone to such problems than older barrels.
Old September 6, 2007, 01:18 PM   #6
wolverine350

shooting a lot through it may make your choke tube where you cannot remove it easily, open tubes for steel or chokes made for steel shot where the choke is extended out from the barrel
Thompson Center Encore 243