The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 9, 2012, 08:46 PM   #26
Uncle Malice

I would very much recommend the Gen 4 Glock 21 or Glock 30. I can't specifically talk about the Gen 4 30... but I can the gen 4 21... and it has become my favorite Glock of all time. It's absolutely perfect for me. Carries well, recoils light, good trigger, not too heavy. I'm definitely interested in the Gen 4 G30 as well.. but I'll probably get the Gen 4 G20 first because I want the dedicated 10mm as my hiking/camping/woods gun.
Old December 9, 2012, 11:10 PM   #27
jackpine

pick ONE GUN and one gun only that you would choose to fight with, get two of the same for back ups, shoot the stuffing out of the thing and get some pro training to go with it. No rotation no gun of the season just a gun you know inside and out.

M&P or glock of the correct size and caliber for your liking and be done
Old December 10, 2012, 11:02 AM   #28
dgludwig

Quote:
No rotation no gun of the season
What would be the fun in that?

But, seriously, I'm not about to try and tote concealed my usual carry gun (the aforementioned SIG Model 220) when the temperature's in the nineties and I'm wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Summer in Florida is why God made mouse guns.
Old December 10, 2012, 12:37 PM   #29
ScotchMan

I kind of agree with jackpine, and that is the approach I've taken. The answer to the seasons thing is to choose a gun you can conceal year round. A 10+1 9mm subcompact can be concealed in any clothing in my experience. Everyone is different though.

Back on topic, I think the Sig P220 Carry is the correct answer, but will also throw in the HK45c in LEM (no safety, constant action trigger, superior to strikers or DA/SA in my opinion). Both are going to be more expensive than $700, but anything else is a compromise. I've chosen not to compromise on carry guns, and over their lifetimes, I suspect I'll spend more on ammo and training than the firearms themselves, so I'm ok with it.

If under $700 is a must, look at the Beretta PX4 Storm in decocker-only variant. Given that criteria, I would personally probably get an M&P .45.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old December 11, 2012, 08:27 PM   #30
Texshooter

Chaim,

I hear very clearly what you are saying in regards to Mr. Glock and past associations. I feel very much the same, despite having received great CS from Glock.

But please check out the history of Croatia (The country of origin of the XD and the home the most viscious of nazis) and the problem I have is that many in their country today are trying to reclaim their prior association with that. The President on down.

That being said, I heard the head of the JPFO say that all those evil doers were long gone and to buy what will serve your needs.

Also being said, my BIL had one live fire "shootout", if you will, in his LEO career. One of the 3 LEOs involved was a person of long time service, very professional and trained. He carried a 1911 (one of my favorites) and during the actual fight he never got a shot off. He kept pulling the trigger on a pistol he did not release the thumb safety on.

Just sayin. Good Luck
Old December 11, 2012, 09:40 PM   #31
bitttorrrent

I'm sure with enough training that can be overcome, but that reason is why i would not carry a 1911 - the safety.

I'm just not a fan of it.

I do like mine and aside from a little bit heavy they could be a fine carry weapon, but not for me.

I'm now (with the hope of actually being able to carry soon) looking seriously at CCW and am leaning toward:
Khar
Glock
Skky (9mm though only I think)
Sig - there is a new one coming out I think
Old January 9, 2013, 01:35 AM   #32
meanmachine1961

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411552870

Great deal on a new P220 carry at Buds.
Old January 9, 2013, 01:49 AM   #33
MRL21

Everyone is throwing their money in on the sig p220 carry. Why are we neglecting the Sig P245? I recently acquired one at $600.00 trade value and it quickly became my favorite carry. I can't remember what I found the dimension difference to be, but it's close to a 220carry. Lgs shop gets them in for 500-600 fairly regular.

Just another option in the DA/SA Sig compact 45.
Old January 9, 2013, 06:52 AM   #34
thedudeabides

The P245/P220 Compact is a better choice, because the P220 Carry has the same frame as the P220, just a shorter slide. It's stil a HUGE GUN.

The P220 Compact is much smaller, and most have been de-horned for CCW.
Old January 9, 2013, 12:47 PM   #35
dean1818

The M&P45c is awesome

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old January 9, 2013, 04:43 PM   #36
SGT405

I agree with Texshooter. If you really wanted to go down that road then SIGs would be out also. Buy what you shoot most accurately, what feels most comfortable in your hands, what you can carry easily.
Old January 9, 2013, 05:09 PM   #37
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Also being said, my BIL had one live fire "shootout", if you will, in his LEO career. One of the 3 LEOs involved was a person of long time service, very professional and trained. He carried a 1911 (one of my favorites) and during the actual fight he never got a shot off. He kept pulling the trigger on a pistol he did not release the thumb safety on.

Quote:
I'm sure with enough training that can be overcome, but that reason is why i would not carry a 1911 - the safety.

I'm just not a fan of it.

Agreed.... Amazing and accurate range gun. If you haven't extensively trained with the 1911 under stress. I don't recommend carrying it.

I'm trained with a Glock 22 from start the Miami Dade Police Department.

My muscle memory is trained with Glock and SIG Sauer.

I tried to do classes with a 1911, after a while shooting and training with the two aforementioned. It was disastrous.

No where near as pro efficient as with the SIG or Glock under stress.