The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 3, 2006, 08:08 PM   #26
Clayfish

Welcome Longboard. Glad to see you share the same hunting ethics as most of us here.
Old October 3, 2006, 08:50 PM   #27
Axion

Any one who enjoys "hunting" drugged animals trapped in a confined area is pretty pathetic in my eyes.
Old October 5, 2006, 03:06 PM   #28
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

http://www.outdoorchannel.com

You can email about the NWF article. I did; have you?

Art
Old October 5, 2006, 06:52 PM   #29
Wingbone

My "trophy" last year was a good sized bodied 3 pointer. It was on public land, and the only "cheating" I did was use a tree stand. That 3 pointer meant more to me than any of those monsters on the video would have, useing those tactics. Sad and pitifull,
Ken
Old October 5, 2006, 08:05 PM   #30
ZeroJunk

This is disgusting.You wonder what type of person would get any satisfaction out of it.As far as records go,I take them with a grain of salt.There are always reservations and large private ranches that cater to the people willing to pay for a trophy.At least they are not fenced in.FF is right to consider that we kill several million chickens,cattle ,and hogs every year with no remorse.Curious to condemn cruelty to animals while chewing on a chicken leg.
Old October 5, 2006, 10:30 PM   #31
Savage10FP308

Zero an others...

we are covering this (sort of) in one of my criminal justice classes. It is amazing what the general public will tolerate and it is even more amazing what they throw a fit about. There aren't to many vegetarians out there (% wise) but there are a lot of people who dont like hunting because it is "cruel". In this case (and some others) they are right. But a guy in the woods having a legitimate hunt to bring food back to his family's table is as good as it gets. Just like the guy who got the 3 pointer stated. It's his 3 pointer and a fai one at that. He didn't cheat and he didn't leave a skidmark on the public image of hunting. We could us more good people in this world!
Old October 6, 2006, 08:25 AM   #32
buzz_knox

Seems like there are two ways this hurts us. From the general point of view, this crap is horrendous because it turns people away from the entire hunting/firearms industry. If my only exposure to hunting was this, I'd be calling my congresscritter.

From the point of view of those who watch the show, we must now consider it as proven what many have long suspected: some, but not necessarily all, of what is seen has as much reality as pro-wrestling. That makes those experts and guides who partake in this either frauds or simply fools.
Old October 6, 2006, 10:28 AM   #33
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Buzz, what I've watched over the last thirty years or so is the increase in what I'd call a hedonistic approach to "hunting", with most of the work taken out. Add to this the notion that the size of the rack is the only criterion for success.

I'm generalizing: Many city folks want to hunt. They have money, but not a lot of free time. They have no background in camping or in "roughing it". Further, they have no innate understanding of "fair chase".

So, there are those who will cater to this mix of ignorance and hedonism. If you get it on TV with the proper camera angles, it looks like real hunting. The sponsors can then persuade people they need to buy all manner of inconsequential garbage in order to be a successful hunter.

"Cherchez le moolah."

Art
Old October 6, 2006, 11:31 AM   #34
springmom

I have indeed

Yes I have emailed them. When you go to the contact page, make sure that the email goes to the company president (one of the options presented). No sense letting this protest get lost in the lower echelons, guys.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old October 6, 2006, 12:05 PM   #35
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Contacting Houston's sponsors is, I'm sure, the most effective means of putting pressure on, but I'm thinking it wouldn't hurt to voice our displeasure directly at the source as well.

Jimmy Houston can be contacted here.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old October 7, 2006, 01:57 PM   #36
spraynbuckshot

This totally disgusted me. This video is a disgrace to all of us hunters. 110% unethical and immoral. Where is the fair chase? Why would anyone pay $15,000 to do this. We need to round them up and put them in a high fence. This is the kind of crap that evokes legislature that effects all of the ethical hunters. I knew this kind of crap went on, but I never actually saw it. Man this has ruined my day.
Old October 7, 2006, 04:42 PM   #37
silicon wolverine

I can forsee in the near future "canned" hunts like this being verboten. However, if you buy and raise and animal from infancy or buy its parent and raise it, IT IS YOURS to do with as you see fit according to the law. they are considered domesticated. No license, no oversight, no GF&P. While this butchery sickens me, and the guy got everything he deserved in court, raising animals to trophy status and relaseing them to be hunted is a legit buisness. think of it as the results of driving small farmers out of business with low crop prices and excessive costs. Many of them resort to business opportunites such as this to stay afloat. Where my dad's farm is many of the farmers grow phesants and grouse from chicks and relase them to be hunted by payinf hunters. while i think it sucks, (especially at 50$ a bird) its not illegal, and sometimes the only incmoe older farmers have. Im not trying to excuse this idiot for what he did, but there is another side to this type of hunting.

SW
Old October 9, 2006, 06:35 PM   #38
FirstFreedom

Just a brief aside here

Anyone see these two numbskulls on the Outdoor Channel couple days back on a pronghorn hunt in NE New Mexico with muzzleloader? This jackass takes a shot on a *running* pronghorn at what looks to be well over 200 yards (they don't say how far - wonder why), and he completely misses to the rear of the animal (thank goodness not a gut shot). So they stalk up again - he shoots again - again with a tripod, but this time on a still animal, but completely misses again, to the front of the animal. Third time they tried and stalked up, he hit the buck at 160 yards with his iron-sighted ML.

What a incredibly BAD example to put on TV, showing such an incredibly low-percentage unethical shot as an example to kids and the public of what hunters do. It sickens me, so as a result, the sponsors are going to get an earful from me (including Thompson/Center and Limbsaver). If you saw it too and are equally disgusted, I encourage you too to send a brief note to the sponsors. The show's name was "Limbsaver Outdoor America".

And these guys' "stalk" consist of trotting along slightly bent over. No crawling involved. And they were plenty young enough to try to be stalking more stealthily, and thus getting closer to be more ethical. Absurd. :barf:

Send your complaints here:

http://www.tcarms.com/TC_HTML/TC_Contact01.htm
http://www.limbsaver.com/limbsaver/contact/contact.aspx
Old October 9, 2006, 08:36 PM   #39
SCcdp

That is absolutely dastardly. These people should be put under the jail for the actions that now implicate all hunters as trophy seeking killers. Don't get me wrong I'd like to kill the largest deer possible when I go in the field but I am not willing to sacrifice my moral and ethical standards for anyone or anything. My father taught me the ways of the woods and the rules of conduct when pursuing and taking game, and I recall at no point during his tutelage did he make mention of harvesting game that is not wild - no matter how much you've paid. How can people think that this is right?? Fair chase has gone by the wayside it seems in our results oriented culture. I am ashamed!

Matt
Old October 9, 2006, 09:06 PM   #40
skipjack

"Where my dad's farm is many of the farmers grow phesants and grouse from chicks and relase them to be hunted by payinf hunters"

hunting pen raised birds is a little different; you still have to make the shot at a flying bird. That's a far cry from shooting a drugged or injured deer and perpetuating a fraudulent video production.

In most parts of the country, wild bird populations are very low. Birddog enthusiasts have little choice but to hunt released birds. Sure, there are wild populations of grouse and pheasants, but pheasants are in decline in most of the eastern US. Same situation with quail.

PA game commission stocks pheasants for put and take hunting opportunities.
I am sure that other states do, as well. Maryland stocked mallard ducks a while back, but I believe they have stopped due to the threat of disease being introduced into the wild bird population.

My biggest bone of contention with Houston, et al, is the misrepresentation of the video. In addition, I have absolutely no regard for Houston or his abilities after viewing the video. I have seen hunters risk personal safety to rescue an injured game animal, not to slice it's throat and put it's head on a wall.

I guess it just shows how the almighty dollar and it's pursuit have become more important than the noble spirit of the hunt.
Old October 10, 2006, 07:47 AM   #41
SCcdp

Skipjack,

I should have prefaced my comments a little better about not hunting anything that isn't wild. I understand the need to pen raise birds of certain species due to dwindling populations in a lot of areas. Here in South Carolina I might see a handful of wild coveys of quail a year and the pen raising and releasing efforts that have been made in this state have helped the native populations not only by easing pressure on them but also by the numbers of released birds that acclimate themselves to the wild and due in turn reproduce in the wild.

Matt
Old October 10, 2006, 09:17 AM   #42
skipjack

Matt, you and I are on the same page on this issue.

I can see no reason to hunt whitetails that are penned. There is a virtual whitetail population explosion in the eastern US.

The "rationale" that is probably used by the video makers is that they are trying to market videos, and yes, size does matter. Sad, really, when you think about it.

Sadder, still,that millions of hunters take to the woods every year and are deluded into thinking that they fail if they don't kill a B&C or P&Y buck. Any fair chase deer is a trophy, particularly if it is taken on public land.

Good luck, and good hunting!
Old October 10, 2006, 10:08 AM   #43
SCcdp

I reckon we are skipjack How is the deer season in Maryland - ya'll even hunting yet? If ya'll are having the deer problems up there that we are having here than I would definitely agree that there is a population explosion on the east coast!

Matt
Old October 11, 2006, 02:14 PM   #44
skipjack

Matt, archery season is in full swing here in Maryland, but I haven't been out, yet. We have an early muzzleloader season that starts next week for a 10 day period. I have been too busy with my springer spaniel pup to do any bowhunting, plus it has been a little on the warm side.

With all the seasons available to Marylanders, and extremely generous bag limits, our whitetail population just keeps increasing. A factor in this is that as more land gets developed, there are fewer places to hunt. I still get the greatest satisfaction by going up to our family cabin in north-central PA.
We hunt on state land, and it is difficult hunting, but I like it!

Best wishes to all for a safe and succesful season!
Old October 11, 2006, 10:47 PM   #45
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Have y'all voiced your opinions to the network or the sponsors?

Art
Old October 12, 2006, 08:20 PM   #46
DynaBMan

No way!!

The kind of "hunting" they are showing can not compare to the times that I have spent in the woods, all alone except for the wildlife, big and small, that had no idea I was around. What a thrill it is, when it is done the right way.