The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 22, 2015, 12:28 PM   #26
ingEneer22

As I said before, I ordered JP's MK3 Handguard and most recently their .308 Supermatch barrel which was supposed to come with a High Pressure Enhanced bolt. It came with their standard Enhanced bolt. After calling twice and leaving messages, I got no reply. Finally got hold of someone and they offered to exchange the bolt and sent a return label for the bolt itself. I am a little ticked because one of the selling points of this $600 barrel is that they come with an individually headspaced bolt. They assured me that there would be no headspace issue with a new bolt. If headspace isn't an issue with their products then why do they list, "This barrel also includes a JP High Pressure EnhancedBolt™ individually head-spaced to the barrel for flawless fit and function" in the description.

We will see how it works, I'm sure it'll be fine but it still kind of bothers me. I asked them to include a firing pin retaining pin with the new bolt which they were sure to charge me an extra $13 bucks for.
Old May 23, 2015, 03:30 PM   #27
HKFan9

That really sucks. As for the headspace, I would assume since its generally a non issue on an AR you won't have and issues at all. As for the way they word it on their website... I am sure it is pretty liberal marketing. I would GUESS they follow closer tolerances than standard parts for them to be able to list that, but I doubt it is going to be like custom makes where they machine the barrel, bolt, and dies from the same barstock.
Old May 27, 2015, 01:49 PM   #28
ingEneer22

-SLR Sentry 7 Adj. gas block and gas tube
-BCM Gunfighter Mod 3
-Rubber City Armory bolt carrier

Wrapping things off with the last few parts. Praying that everything is compatible! I am please to announce that for no apparent reason, my particular set of receivers works fine with an unaltered BCM Gunfighter charging handle. I've not heard that Aero has done anything, as far as redesigning goes, to their lowers to get them to accept the Gunfighter charging handles. Anyone else hear anything about it?
Old June 10, 2015, 09:11 PM   #29
ingEneer22

Here's a peak!

Still need to get gas system installed and tighten everything down. Once I get an Atlas bipod and some optics we'll be set!
Old June 12, 2015, 03:56 PM   #30
skizzums

That's a pretty unique AR. I like it.
Old June 14, 2015, 09:49 AM   #31
Gunplummer

Just like all the AR15 aftermarket junk, I am guessing that the AR-10s have gone the same way. I remember when you could still order AR-10 de-milled parts kits from Canada. There were a LOT of countries using them. Funny they did not have a problem replacing parts. The only "Standard" most of those aftermarket companies have is the amount of time it takes to get them out the door.
Old June 14, 2015, 06:05 PM   #32
HKFan9

You won't regret the atlas bipod I have one I switch between my guns along with a Harris, I don't think I'll ever buy another bipod unless it's an atlas or similar.

Gun looks great, can't wait to see the groups, what kind of glass were you considering.

I have two Vortex Razor HD gen 2's and I love them, but even the Viper PSTs for the money are nice too.
Old June 14, 2015, 10:29 PM   #33
ingEneer22

Gunplummer, there are a good number of AR15 manufactures that put out some quality stuff...far exceeding "Mil-spec". For some reason people tend to insist on having mil-spec this and that. In reality, there are so many options these days that are beyond the military specification. The problem remaining is that when you start building "franken-rifles" one company's specs may not agree with another's.

That is the problem plaguing the AR-10 and LR308 market. The .308 AR pattern has never been standardized like the AR-15 pattern. Most parts are make to either fall into one of two categories, Armalite or DPMS. DPMS, being more common, is starting to take over the .308 market but even then, not all DPMS style parts are as compatible as we would like.
Old June 14, 2015, 10:35 PM   #34
ingEneer22

HKFan9,

I can't wait to get my bipod! Got the QD model for $240 brand new off ARFCOM. I fully expect it to be worth every penny!

As far as glass goes, I am looking into a US Optics LR17 right now. I wasn't quite sure what magnification range I should go with. The other option I was considering was US Optics' MR10 model which has a 1.8-10x power as opposed to the LR17's 3.2-17x. My concern was buying too much of a scope for my rifle. After talking to JP about their 18" barrel, I'm no longer worried about the higher power scope being "overkill".

I have had a bunch of people recommend Nightforce over USO but I really like some of USO's features and options.
Old June 15, 2015, 04:34 AM   #35
Gunplummer

Really? A government would supply it's forces with a rifle that has no standardized parts? The AR 10 has been around a long time, it is the aftermarket scrap that will not interchange. I see this "Won't interchange, won't feed, short bolt travel, ect." stuff all the time on the forums. I would certainly worry about headspace if these companies can't even get the simple parts to go together.
Old June 17, 2015, 10:22 PM   #36
HKFan9

The only Gov. Supplied "AR-10" is the MK11 made by KAC, which is a a fancy SR-25 (better barrel, from the civvie versions if I am not mistaken).

The price tag on them is hefty.

Ing is absolutely right "Mil Spec" means nothing unless you list the specific military specification you are talking about. I DO enjoy mil-spec carbines on an AR-15, but when building a precision AR-10 type rifle, I would not want a Mil Spec gun, and neither did the actual military.

The KAC its pretty much exclusive as far as military interchangeability obviously.

Heck even for the marksmanship programs they took existing "Mil-Spec" M14's and re-worked them, through them in Sage Chassis, and slapped a scope on to make an EBR.

The Navy had Crane come up with the MK12 Mod 0, Mod 1, and Mod 2 for the seals.

Marines had them cook up the SAM-R 20'' rifles with GASP NON MIL_SPEC STAINLESS STEEL BARRELS oh the humanity.

While I do appreciate true mil-spec'd AR-15 carbines, they are not the end all be all, actually they are far from it when wanting certain performance standards. Mil-spec guns are meant to work, and keep working with minimal effort, that is great when you need minute of man at 100 yards. When people want precision, Mil-spec guns, and more important mil-spec ammo goes right out the window.

To be honest most mil-standards are out dated.

You bicker about different design specs across not standardized guns.... which is about the same as complaining AK parts won't work on an AR-15, or a Winchester mod 70 stock wont fit a Remington 700 action. Truth be told the only company who actually makes an AR-10, and AR-15 is Armalite.

Most if not all ar-15 parts will interchange, no matter what stamp is on it, AR-10's have always been a different ballgame.
Old June 18, 2015, 09:51 AM   #37
Gunplummer

Apparently I have been around longer than you. I am talking 30+ years ago you could buy de-mil AR-10 parts kits from Canada. De-mil, as in ex-military guns. Now and then you would see some in the US, but not the amount being sold out of Canada. I remember lowers being sold for the parts kits. I believe some were even stainless. If a company sells a gun or kit claiming it is an AR-10, then I expect it to be one. I bought the first 1911A-1 frame available (Essex). You were supposed to be able to build a 1911A-1 on this frame. The company screwed up and used a print from a 1911. You either had to use a 1911 trigger or an extension. I look at some of the modern ARs the same way. They were screwed up when manufactured.

Tags
.308 , aero precision , aero precision m5 , dpms