The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 7, 2006, 05:38 PM   #1
newworldCurmudgeon

Help with Womem's training in Arizona

It seems the firearms gods are smiling at me from overseas. Long story short is my Brother-in-laws significant other is apparently having second thought of her career/schooling because it MAY require her to carry a gun. He is not ready to throw away 2 years of school, and has graciously offered to pay for my wife to join his SO at a training course (I have allready talked to my wife about woman only classes and she is interested)

What I need your help my learned TFL Friends, does anyone have experience with any training/training centers in Arizona, close to Tucson if possible. I looked up Gunsite's Ladies Pistol but I am looking for other alternatives also.

My wife has shot before but only a couple times (and she likes a .45 and hates a .38 snubby), His SO has no experience at all with firearms (she may also need to rent a pistol). I figure the initial purpose is to just get her over her fear of firearms. (My Bro-in-law and I cannot do the intro as we are both out of the area at this time)

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

wouldn't it just be a kicker if he paid for the gunsite training
Old March 7, 2006, 07:11 PM   #2
mete

Vicki Farnam has written a book with Nichols "Teaching Women To Shoot". This is for instructors . She also gives courses for women and that would be something to look for.
Old March 7, 2006, 07:21 PM   #3
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Give Pax a PM. She is involved in an ongoing women's only group.
Old March 7, 2006, 07:23 PM   #4
Friiguy

If I am correct you may want to contact Desertscout1. He owns a shop that runs regular courses for women only in nearby New Mexico!
Old March 12, 2006, 10:28 PM   #5
newworldCurmudgeon

Thanks everyone

Thanks for your help everyone

Old March 12, 2006, 10:42 PM   #6
oldmaster111

Before you go to New Mexico, call Ben Avery shooting facility up here in Phoenix. I know they have several programs for women.
Old March 13, 2006, 10:17 AM   #7
KC135

Go to www.defense-training.com

This is John Farnams site.

IMO Vicki is the top women's instructor in the country, bar none.

John is also a top instructor and both are very fine people.

I could recommend several other men but no other team that will give you the quality you will get from these two.
Old March 13, 2006, 11:01 AM   #8
rezmedic54

Women Only

Have your friends wife or yours go out to the NRA's web site and look for Pistol instructors that live in the Tucson area. I am sure there are a bunch of them. If you can't find anyone I do classes. I am about 30 minutes from Tucson. But like I said try NRA's web site first. Good Luck. Kurt
CCW Instrutor
NRA Certified Instructor
Gunsmith
Maricopa ,Az.

http:www.maricopashooting.com
Old March 13, 2006, 08:59 PM   #9
highyellow1

AZ Shooter's World

I'm new here but I thought I would throw this out there (Hi everyone).
AZ Shooter's World (http://www.azshootersworld.com/CALEN...CH%202006.htm), just went there today as I go on my quest to find my gun and begin improving my shooting skills. Anyway pretty nice place, I went there rhis morning for some private instruction, anyway they have a free women's basic handgun course, and they also have free Friday nights for ladies from 4pm to close. I know its a little far from Tucson but may be worth it, I don't know. Good luck, can't get my wife to do it.
Old March 14, 2006, 06:24 AM   #10
newworldCurmudgeon

Thanks again

Oldmaster, thanks for the info on Ben Avery, I found this:

Quote:
Classes for Women Annie Oakley Sure Shots
This program was designed by women and is hosted by women. It's held every Thursday from 7to 9 p.m. It's free and it's fun. You do not need to have a firearm to participate, nor do you need any knowledge of firearms. Join us and learn!

Now that would be a bit of a drive since she would be coming from Sierra Vista, but she has friends up that way from when she lived in Pheonix.

KC, unfortunately none of their classes are close to us/her (heck none of them are close to Korea LOL) but I checked out the Farnhams website, and maybe I can talk my wife into going sometime (like maybe for our anniversary "

Kurt, I might have found something at the "Marksman Pistol Institute" are you familiar with them? Also do you have regularly scheduled classes anywhere?

HighYellow I checked out your link, and let my wife know about it too. Did you like your training? Also for your wife, just keep trying. It took me a while, but (before we were married) my wife finally agreed to go to the range with me. She is actually a good shot, but I refuse to train her anymore, I want to stay married For me, I just bought a .22 rifle and spent as much time at the range as possible, one day she wanted to see what was keeping us apart, and she liked it. Has your wife ever shot? I found it was mostly just a lack of education about firearms that kept my wife away, and now she wants training and to get other women into the shooting sports....life is good, at least when I am in the states

Thanks again everyone
Old March 14, 2006, 09:28 AM   #11
rezmedic54

Womens Classes

I have classes at least twice a month. I teach everything from beginners to move advanced . I live about half way between Phoenix and Tucson. If she is interested have her e-mail me at [email protected] and we can set something up to her schedule if possible. I start with the basics and progress as fast as she wants to not as fast as I want makes life easier for the students. Let me know want you want to do and we can go from there. If she e-mails me just have her put Womens classes in the subject line so that I know it's from her. Thanks , Kurt
As far as the Marksman place I really don't know anything about them.
CCW Instrutor
NRA Certified Instructor
Gunsmith
Maricopa ,Az.

http:www.maricopashooting.com

Last edited by rezmedic54; March 15, 2006 at 08:26 AM.
Old March 19, 2006, 04:28 PM   #12
Az Qkr

I also live in Az and train from basics to advanced firearms.

Robin Brown
Old March 20, 2006, 10:08 AM   #13
chopinbloc

my girlfriend enjoyed the tactical carbine course she took from shooter's world but her ccw course from the same place was a little heavy on the classroom time and light on range time compared to the one i took from another instructor years ago. i haven't taken a course from them but i've shot at their range quite a bit and i have a good impression from that and what my lady has told me.
Old March 20, 2006, 10:23 AM   #14
azspyder

You might want to check out the Scottsdale Gun Club. My wife learned there and took her CCW there with a .45 3" lightweight. They have numerous, competent classes. Great facility!
www.scottsdalegunclub.com

"Old age & treachery will always overcome youth & skill"
Kimber Ultra Carry .45
Springfield Service Model PX9109L. .45
Springfield LW Micro Compact .45
Springfield XD 45ACP Service Model
Walther P-22
Remington Tactical 870 w/light & laser
Hi-Point 9mm carbine w/light & laser
Old March 22, 2006, 06:40 PM   #15
Erich in Az

newworldCurmudgeon - Let me know if you find something in/near Tucson (I'll keep an eye on this thread as well). I'm looking for a course for my wife (never handled a gun) around here.

I live in Tucson, and work in SV at the fort.