The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 19, 2001, 06:10 PM   #26
VictorLouis

I do appreciate that, Dave. The shopkeeper where I purchased it is going to have his 'smith rectify it. No charge, as I bought it from him. I asked him to call with the charge for converting the lifter to an anti-jamb(flex-tab?) style while he is at it. Do you know what a reasonable fee for that should be?
Old February 19, 2001, 08:19 PM   #27
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

'Fraid not, Vic, I'm out of the loop these days. And, the smith that did mine was/is a friend.

Best guess, $50-75, but it is a guess.

One thing on the Flextab, when I had it done, it was this same smith/friend that recommended it. At that point, after thousands of rounds, I had never had the problem of losing a round behind the carrier. Proper technique....

Old March 29, 2007, 10:14 AM   #28
phm14

Love my M1S90

I've had this gun for 10-12 years. 18" bbl w extended mag. I've put lots of cheap remmy heavy dove loads though it @ the sporting clay range, as well as slugs and buckshot from varios makers with not a single hiccup, and I don't clean it very often. This gun has the PG stock and wears a butt cuff. I have several other 12g shotguns, including an 18" 870 and an old A-5. I completely trust the reliabilty of the M1-my favorite shooter hands down
Old March 29, 2007, 10:23 AM   #29
Smitty in CT

Mossberg has a new version of their 930

Not a lot of $$ and a great reliable gun.

The mag extensions for the 9200 Jungle Gun fit on the 930, too!!!

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old March 5, 2011, 05:43 PM   #30
silverrado58

You couldn't give me a Mossberg anything, I owned 2 Model 500's
As the raven said "Nevermore, Nevermore"! Posted the long story on another forum, will copy and paste here, as Arnold said "I'll Be Back"

Ok I'm back, here is the other post;

You couldn't give me a brand new Mossberg, owened one years ago, actually two of them one was a 20 ga. Model 500 did not have it long, say about a day. I bought it a K-Mart took it to the range, loaded it up, and the carrier would not bring the shells up high enough to allow the bolt to push the shells into the chamber. It went back to K-Mart, and since they didn't have another to replace it they gave me my money back. The next one I purchased, a couple years later was also a Model 500, but this time in 12 ga. Had it for awhile until one day while at the range I guess I racked the slide a a little too hard, (is that possible with a shotgun)???????????? Hmmm!!!!! Never seemed to happen with my Winchester Model 1300 Defender,(still have it) and no I was not doing a verticial rack like you see in the movies. Well anyway back to what happened to the Mossberg, it jammed up tight with a live shell half way into the chamber. Could not move the slide forward or back, and since I didn't have any tools with me, I had take it home in that condition. At home I found out what the problem was, a Torsion Spring that had one of its legs fall out of place and jammed up the trigger mechanism. There was nothing there to hold that leg in place, no cut out, nothing but the tension. I was totally amazed at this design flaw. Oh lets not forget about that cheap POS tang safety that seems to be broken on just about every Mossberg I've seen that is not brand new.

Last edited by silverrado58; March 5, 2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old March 5, 2011, 09:54 PM   #31
zip22

You dug up a 10 year old thread about automatic shotguns to post about your bad experience with two pumps?
Old March 5, 2011, 10:31 PM   #32
chasep255

I don't know too much about shotguns but maybe the Saiga 12.
Old March 5, 2011, 10:32 PM   #33
chasep255

Wow, I didn't realise that I just tried to answer an 12 year old question.
Old March 6, 2011, 05:16 AM   #34
silverrado58

I was looking for something else when I just happen to stumble upon it, wasn't paying attention to the date, just the subject. I don't know why everybody gets weirded out about posting on an old thread. People still read them, I did, and SO DID YOU!!
Just because a thread is old, doesn't mean you can't pick up valuable info from it. And if me posting a bad experience on an old thread, will save somebody from making a bad decision in the choice of a crappy firearm, then so be it, I will post all they way back to windows 95, or until a moderator closes it. So lets just say that a good majority of the people in these fourms, don't want to read old threads, then all I got say to them is, don't, and move on. I'll bet that I'm not the only that reads them. Now that I said my piece, HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!