The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 7, 2013, 01:37 AM   #1
FLChinook

Best 6x42 Scope

In another thread on Fixed Power Scopes, Bart B said, "I'll gladly take a scope with excellent mechanics and average image quality to a scope with average mechanics and even the very best image quality."

It's pretty well established that fixed power scopes have simpler mechanics/optics to variable power scopes so a fixed power should give the best chance for consistent accuracy.

Based on this, and lots of head-scratching regarding which power and objective size, I've settled on the 6x42 as the most reasonable for my needs.

So the question is, which is the best 6x42? Which has the best mechanics?

Leupold makes the FX3 6x42 for about $450 with the LR duplex reticle. Swarovski used to make a 6x42 but don't think they do anymore.

Thanks
Old November 7, 2013, 04:37 AM   #2
Been there

It really depends on your budget, the FX3 is a decent scope for the money.
Few manufacturers offer good, fixed power scopes anymore. The best 6x42 scope, still available, is the Schmidt & Bender Klassik.
I'm pushing 60 now,so give me excellent optics any-day. The S&B offers the best of both worlds but at a price.
If it were me, I'd be looking for a s/h Pecar .
Old November 7, 2013, 05:34 AM   #3
HiBC

I have a Leupold I have been happy with for a long time.

You might look at the Leupold custom shop page.If you will be twisting knobs both the CDS with 15 moa and a target turret are available,pretty sure.

Standard duplex is real close to 2 mils,tip to tip.

I have no experience with Valdada,but they may have something.

IMO,Leupolds service support is worth considering
Old November 7, 2013, 06:01 AM   #4
Jimro

Give IOR a try: http://swfa.com/IOR-6x42-Hunting-30m...ope-P2149.aspx

Jimro
Old November 7, 2013, 11:01 AM   #5
FLChinook

The S&B is about $1200 new. Whew... Does Schmidt & Bender have a US operation that does repairs and/or warranty work? What's the risk in trying to find a used one?
Old November 7, 2013, 01:01 PM   #6
Been there

The question was '' the best'' & the best usually costs more , if it is outsde your budget the choice is easy-FX3. I have no experience with Rumanian IOR scopes.
Without breaking the bank, s/h may be the best option - S&B , Pecar or Swarovski, bought from a reputable seller.

Last edited by Been there; November 7, 2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old November 9, 2013, 11:52 PM   #7
FLChinook

Here's my plan for now. I currently have a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 on my Weatherby .257 Weatherby Mag.

Someone in another thread (sorry, I'd like to give the credit but I've done a lot of searching lately and can't recall where I saw this... if anyone knows, please post the credit to this thread) suggested using a 6x42 fixed power for general Western-states hunting and something bigger (24x) for greater precision when testing reload combinations. I can almost do that now by using my 14x for testing and once a bullet/powder/primer/case has been found, I can set the scope to 6x, do a final sight-in and go hunting.

Hopefully, my Zeiss will keep it's POA if I don't change the power. I'm not sure about changing the parallax knob...

Then I can keep my eyes open for a good buy in the Schmidt & Bender 6x42...