The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 3, 2011, 06:34 PM   #1
Pahoo

Tips When Stopped by Police

I know we have had many posts and replies on how a person should respond when stopped by police on the road. This video is really a common sense responce to that encounter. In my opinion, very well done. .....

http://imomags.com/gunsandammo/2011/...ped-by-police/

Be Safe !!!
Old June 3, 2011, 08:40 PM   #2
Patriot86

Looks good to me, but any LEO critique from forum members?
Old June 3, 2011, 09:32 PM   #3
Justice06RR

Pretty good video.

Key thing is to "Use Common Sense".
Old June 3, 2011, 11:04 PM   #4
Tom Servo
Staff

Love the music that plays when Mr. Ayoob exits the cruiser. Tom Gresham carries a Taurus?

Solid advice on the video, but wouldn't this serve better in Tactics & Training?
Old June 4, 2011, 08:32 AM   #5
ConlawBloganon

Great video, thanks for the link.
Old June 4, 2011, 09:40 AM   #6
Glenn Dee

From an old Police Officers point of view...

The video was ahh OK. I would also advise the person stopped should keep their hands on the steering wheel. Also that I'd wait until the officer asks for my licence before I started reaching into pockets. I know Gresham didnt produce until asked... but most of us keep their license in back pocket, or inside jacket pocket. Retrieving a license may mimic drawing the firearm. If your actually wearing one... It could be disasterous. I'm a big fan of sharing that information with the Officer before I make any moves. I believe that many people wear their firearm strong side as they do their wallet.

I'd advise to choose your words carefully. I'd say something to the effect of.. " Ahhh I'm sorry officer.. I didnt realize I did something wrong... Umm I need to let you know that I'm licensed to carry a FIREARM, and I have it with me."

Most cops just want to issue the citation and move along. Their attitude about yor firearm will differ from jurisdiction to jurisdiction... For example an Officer in Florida may just yawn, and say yeak OK just gimme ya license... while an Officer in New Jersey may call in an air strike, and a SWAT team.

Once again your situaltional awareness will make all the difference in how you come out on the other end.

When ever I stopped a person with a licensed handgun I only wanted to see the handgun license... not the gun. But thats a street cop tactic.

Glenn D
Old June 4, 2011, 06:57 PM   #7
Micahweeks

Dee nailed it on the head. Keep your hands at 10 and 2 and inform me about the firearm (not "gun") before you move your hands. I'll direct you from there. I'm in MS. It's legal to keep a firearm of any kind loaded in your car even without a permit, so don't worry about telling me about the permit. I wouldn't check it anyway. But, in other states, do it. Do it as general rule, just know here you might not have one and still carry a gun in your car and that it's fine to do that. Still inform me of the firearm. Don't hide it.

Last edited by Micahweeks; June 4, 2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old June 7, 2011, 04:01 PM   #8
bitttorrrent

Quote:
I'm in MS. It's legal to keep a firearm of any kind loaded in your car even without a permit
Wow, I did not know those kind of rules existed. Been in Chicago too long. I think the cops around here would run away if that was the law here.
Old June 7, 2011, 04:18 PM   #9
MLeake

And yet the cops in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina etc all seem to do pretty well....

I'm not too impressed with the attitudes of some officers, that they should be the only ones allowed to carry. Guess they've never read the various identifiers of a "police state."

That said, most of the cops I know favor "shall issue."

It's the administrators and elected types who set the wrong tone, normally.
Old June 7, 2011, 04:57 PM   #10
cracked91

Quote:
Wow, I did not know those kind of rules existed. Been in Chicago too long. I think the cops around here would run away if that was the law here.
Always funny to hear that, seeing as the ones who would actually pose a threat to the officer aren't going to be too worried about whether or not carrying a loaded firearm in their car is legal or not.

Being that this is also the law here in AZ, I have always kept my hands at 10 and 2 and always said "officer, for your safety I want to let you know there is a loaded firearm in the glovebox/console" The two times I have been pulled over, both officers were very appreciative of me letting them know. One removed the weapon (glovebox), the other just told me to leave it where it was. Didn't get a ticket either time
Old June 7, 2011, 05:59 PM   #11
Micahweeks

Cracked91 has it perfect. Personally, I have no desire to secure your gun. I just appreciate being made aware that it's there.
Old June 8, 2011, 09:04 AM   #12
twobit

Good video. Agree with the above two posts (Cracked91 & Micahweeks). Key issue is do not surprise the officer either visually or vocally. Don't be digging around in the vehicle for your ID when the officer approaches. If it is night have your window down and your inside dome light on. As an officer first approaches your vehicle he is focused on spotting any threat to him before it can be used against him. Making things easier for the officer to rule out threats as he first approaches makes the whole stop go smoother.

I liked the part about not using the word "gun". To us "GUN" is an alarm word (has been for decades), especially between us and a partner, as they were talking about in the video.

In my area of the state (TX) we have Border Patrol checkpoints on roads near the border. These are not the crossing checkpoints but are within about 75 miles of the border (I NEVER go to Mexico).
When in my personal vehicles at these checkpoints near the border I do this;

* I have my identification out before I get up to the agent, so I am not reaching into my pockets while they are standing at the window of my vehicle.
*At night I turn the dome light on. The tinted windows are rolled down (all of them, day or night).
*Other people (if any) in my vehicle stay still and don't dig about under seats and such.
*I show them my identification and usually say something like this... "Hi, I am a Police Officer,... there are weapons in the vehicle and in the camper" (if I'm pulling my RV). Also If I am pulling my RV I will ask if they need to see inside the RV. Other applicable comments after I have identified myself might be "I am wearing a weapon" (I am not wearing a weapon)".
*A civilian could have his ID at ready, show your DL and your carry permit together, say "This is my firearms license, I am (or am not) carrying a firearm at this time ....or there is (or is not) a firearm in the vehicle at this time". They are looking for smugglers or illegals, but every contact starts with the phase of "Am I safe standing next to these people in this vehicle". Help them through this phase so they can conduct their business. They will ask if you are a US citizen and may ask where you are going. They have to do this hundreds of times a day at a checkpoint, so be nice and be helpful.
Old June 8, 2011, 09:26 AM   #13
B. Lahey

It usually takes a cop a while to actually walk up to the car once they have stopped you, in my experience and area. So I tend to get things ready:

1. Put the car in park, turn it off.
2. Turn on the dome light.
3. Place license and other documents on the dash so I don't have to go reaching around to get them.
4. Keep hands on the steering wheel.

Then at the first reasonable opportunity I calmly inform them that I have a carry permit, and am armed.

The above procedure has worked out well for me so far (knock on wood).
Old June 8, 2011, 09:46 AM   #14
Carne Frio

Here is a funny and twisted video from Chris Rock on the topic.

Warning for foul language !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQLCF4Tiqg4
Old June 11, 2011, 07:20 PM   #15
Brandon.Glidden

In florida you dont even have to tell the officer youve got a gun, until youre asked.
Old June 12, 2011, 12:50 PM   #16
Carry_24/7

Brandon; true, none-issue in Florida for traffic stops.
Old June 12, 2011, 12:59 PM   #17
youngunz4life

B. Lahey

to each his own, but I disagree with your methods. Turning off the car is ok + probably appreciated, but its best to just wait for the officer to ask for something- otherwise they might be unsure if you were hiding something and/or what you were doing. This is just my experience. They also have lights when needed, but I don't see anything wrong with the dome light being turned on by a driver. it is just my personal understanding that searching pockets, gloveboxes, or consoles for documentation is a no-go. I have known some to shine the spotlight or whatever and sit and wait to see if any of this stuff is happening or if the driver is leaving their hands on the sterring wheel.
Old June 12, 2011, 05:16 PM   #18
Micahweeks

^

That is sometimes true, but mostly with new officers. Older ones do notice, but they've seen enough to know that people do keep documentation tucked away and don't get as spooked. As for Florida, I would still suggest informing the officer. You don't have to in MS either, but most everyone does because it makes the stop easier. If I see your gun and you aren't being forthcoming, I'm more likely to order you out of the car and secure your weapon. You'll get it back, but I won't take a chance if I think you didn't want me to know. That's the least I owe my family that would really like me home for breakfast. LEOs have a stressful enough job. If you can help them out and ease their minds, it doesn't go unnoticed or unappreciated. And, it goes a long way to improving community relations. Officers are a lot more likely to be less stand-offish if the citizenry is helpful and supportive. They are not the enemy and don't want to be.
Old June 12, 2011, 05:24 PM   #19
MLeake

I've had one experience with being pulled over while carrying, and it mirrored the experiences of my friends.

I informed the officer (though I did it at first by handing my my permit along with my license). He asked, "are you carrying now?" I said yes. He said, "Just keep it where it is, then." I said ok.

He ran my license, gave me a warning, and sent me on my way.

Seems to be the norm, at least if one isn't in Philly, Chicago, etc.
Old June 12, 2011, 05:24 PM   #20
Pahoo

Excellent reply !!!

Quote:
Officers are a lot more likely to be less stand-offish if the citizenry is helpful and supportive. They are not the enemy and don't want to be.
Well stated and thank you for your thoughts. When I first posted this, it wasn't to stir up a debate but to have a good starting point on what to do. LEO's have a job to do and the entire process works better with cooperation. Don't get me wrong, I've had my share of disagreements but they are few and far between. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old June 12, 2011, 05:32 PM   #21
MLeake

I've found the ratio of jerks in uniform to be no worse than the ratio of jerks in the civilian world.

Unfortunately, most jerks in the civilian world don't have the same power to disrupt our lives, and so some people put more of a spotlight on the police.

I understand that, but most of the cops I know are good folks. I tend to start any encounter with the assumption that I am dealing with one of the good ones. That way, even if I get unlucky and draw one of the jerks, I'll have started things off on a respectful note.

But my luck is normally pretty good.
Old June 22, 2011, 01:05 PM   #22
spacecoast

Informing an officer

I'm a Florida concealed permit holder and I'm going to be doing some car travel relatively soon. I have checked the states through which I will be passing at handgunlaw.us to see what the "inform officer" requirements are. I noticed that they are all "No" except for the Carolinas, where they are "Yes".

If I should be stopped while passing through (however unlikely that is), my intent is to show the officer (when asked for my license) both my driver's license and my CCW permit license, which I keep immediately behind my driver's license in my wallet. Does that meet the requirement, or does my informing the officer have to be verbal as well? What options could I see the officer exercise after he sees that I am a permit holder? All the states through which I will be passing have reciprocal agreements with Florida.
Old June 22, 2011, 01:21 PM   #23
cwok

Informing an Officer

Well if its verbal -- I'm sure you already figured out that:

"Officer I am licenesed for Concealed Carry - do you wish me to display the firearm ?

May just possibly work out better than:

"I have a gun".
Old June 22, 2011, 01:29 PM   #24
CowTowner

Or "Officer, I am licensed to carry and have it on me. How would you like to proceed?"
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old June 22, 2011, 01:32 PM   #25
AirForceShooter

From personal experience I can tell you offering up your CCW at a traffic stop satisfies the notify requirement. At least the LEO's in 2 states didn't have a problem with it.

Now how they react to your being armed may differ considerably.

AFS