The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 31, 2015, 04:12 AM   #26
SARuger

My plan is to take it to the range yet again today and try to get use to it. If I can't i will just order a new hammer fired and sell this one. I would rather not trade for a used gun when this one has less than 100 rounds through it.

I bought this Ruger with the intention of making it my EDC and I'm sticking to that plan.
Old July 31, 2015, 05:39 AM   #27
stagpanther

I suspect a good gunsmith could change out the springs etc to stiffen that puppy up. My feeling is your messin with the best thing about the gun : )
Old July 31, 2015, 08:49 AM   #28
cocojo

The trigger is very light and if your going from a revolver to LC9s and back it's going to throw your shooting off. The trigger is very light and easy to use but for the same reasons your debating this, so did I. I just bought an LC9 and kept my LC9s Pro. I have to say, I don't see what the big fuss is over, on the older hammer fired guns. The trigger is a lot lighter than any revolver and about the same length pull. I shot my LCR and my LC9 and I found the LC9 is a lot lighter and everyone seems to rave about the LCR trigger. I'm an old revolver shooter and I found the LC9 a lot easier to shoot than the LCR. I wish they keep making the older LC9, maybe in a pro model with maybe a stainless steel slide. I just don't like the safety being a lefty, I might hit it accidently. The magazine safety is more of an annoyance along with the pop up indicator. I can live with the last two but the safety makes me worry a bit. I am going to try it and see if I ever hit the safety and engage it accidently. I like the LC9 a lot. Awesome guns LC9's.

Last edited by cocojo; July 31, 2015 at 08:54 AM.
Old August 1, 2015, 07:18 AM   #29
SARuger

I went to the range yesterday. I could get use to it but swapping between my LCR and LC9s did not go well. I don't know if others have this issue but on my LC9 as soon as the safety is engaged the trigger only moves a mm or two before it fires. There is no creep or travel. Its on or off.

I do not like it so its time to buy the old hammer fire. I love the gun otherwise.

I have had the mag fall out twice on this one while shooting and had to adjust where my right thumb is when I grip. Not a major issue.

Im a mechanic with large hands and a gorilla grip. For someone that doesnt have to abuse their hands like I do for a living probably wouldn't think this trigger is too light. For me I can't even feel any back-pressure from the trigger through my finger so control over the trigger doesn't exist.

Its not safe for me, probably just fine for everyone else.

Thank you all for all of the positive input
Old August 1, 2015, 08:56 AM   #30
Laz

I understand Ruger redesigning the LC9 as a striker-fired pistol since they are all the rage now. However, I was a bit surprised that they did not simply do what they did on the LCP and redesign the pre-cock position of the hammer. This not so much lightens the trigger as it shortens the travel by enough to greatly improve the trigger and answer many of the complaints of those who felt the trigger broke too far back. That and dropping the pop-up loaded chamber indicator would have certainly tipped me. I prefer hammers over strikers generally (and perhaps not totally rationally).

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old August 1, 2015, 09:18 AM   #31
cocojo

Keep us posted on your change and how you like the LC9 hammer gun.
Old August 2, 2015, 02:15 PM   #32
SARuger

I traded even for a NIB hammer fired locally today. Just dry firing it I like it better. I won't get to the range until next week sometime to be sure.
Old August 2, 2015, 02:39 PM   #33
DaleA

Sounds like the classic case of a win-win situation.

Good luck.
Old August 2, 2015, 10:35 PM   #34
SARuger

Yep the guy trading me thought I had lost my mind
Old August 3, 2015, 03:01 PM   #35
cocojo

Awesome deal! I like the old trigger also. Most people today are spoiled because of the striker firing guns of today. When I started shooting I had a 14 lb trigger on my S&W model 19 Combat Magnum 2 1/2 inch 357. To have a trigger like the 6 to 7 lb trigger on the older LC9 was a gift to good to be true. I find no issue with the heavier and longer pull. When I pull the trigger on a handgun I want to know I meant to pull it. Six to Seven lb trigger is ideal for defense not 3 to 4 which is much too light, especially for a novice shooter. I just bought my Lady a LC380 and she also said the trigger was too light on my LC9s Pro. She said she likes the longer trigger at 6 to 7 lbs on my LC9 better and she's a novice shooter. The LC380 fit the bill with a nice trigger, easy slide racking, a pop up indicator and low recoil. She picked her own gun and is loving it. Purple to boot.
Old August 3, 2015, 08:42 PM   #36
SARuger

I went to the range today and the LC9 hammer fired is much better. I will say, I shot a friends LC9s today as well and his trigger was worlds better than the one I had. On mine as soon as the safety was compressed the gun fired. I honestly could not even feel back pressure on the trigger through my finger. Something may have been wrong with that gun.

My friends LC9s was much different, it had some back pressure and a little creep and it wasn't bad at all.

I still like my hammer fired better though