The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Closed Thread

Old February 11, 2013, 07:37 PM   #1
Bart Noir

Carbines being used in Cal. manhunt

So today I clicked through the slideshow at Foxnews.com, the one that shows pics of the current southern California manhunt (for the deranged ex-cop).

There are many pics of officers using Ruger Mini-14s, some with folding stocks. And few of the Minis have optic sights. Not many shotguns as I guess the officers are worried about a gunfight at carbine or rifle distances. And most of the Minis are stainless steel.

I thought the above is interesting. But it would be even more interesting if there was a .30-30 in use by one of them....

I bet there isn't a single one of the officers protecting his/her life with a Cal.-compliant carbine. Or 10-round magazine in it. That is only for the peons and serfs.

Bart Noir
Who hopes that the killer doesn't take any more lives, and that those officers risking their lives are not harmed. Catch that critter!
Old February 11, 2013, 10:08 PM   #2
Corrections Cop

I did see the same thing the other day on the news, with the Mini's. I guess some street cops still use them. The Mini's role in LE anymore seems to be more of a Prison Rifle, thats what most state DOC's use, and thats what we use. Just interisting to see them used on the street.
Old February 11, 2013, 10:18 PM   #3
David13

I don't know if he's really 'deranged'.
He seems cold and calculating to me. And that he planned this out for a long long time.
But did he plan for a broken axle on the truck? Who knows.
They will put every weapon out there that they can muster.
dc
Old February 11, 2013, 10:42 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Rifles, okay.

Psychiatry and polyticks, nokay.

OK?
Old February 11, 2013, 11:17 PM   #5
R1145

It depends on the agency

Law enforcement agencies are pretty decentralized when it comes to firearms, with each making choices based on cost, or even the personal preferences of the firearms instructors who usually make the purchasing recommendations.

I doubt you'd find any agency in California still using Winchesters, M-1 Carbines or tommy guns anymore (or Reisings, for that matter), although supposedly in some rural departments, the officers purchase their own weapons. There is a provision in the state assault weapon ban exempting peace officers, presumably for this reason (they are also exempt from high capacity magazine bans). This is abused, IMHO, with some officers purchasing items for personal use that are otherwise banned.

It's interesting to see what rifles different agencies show up with. CHP and LAPD, I think, get surplus rifles from the feds, and I see M16A1s and -A2s being carried, instead of the more usual carbines. They might have a locking plate installed under the pistol grip to preclude full auto or burst firing, but I don't know.

HK SMGs of various calibers and types are often carried by special weapons teams. Fish & Game (oops, Fish & "Wildlife"...) carries M-14s, as does another small local agency hereabouts. I've also seen Steyr AUGs with at least one agency, but that was some years ago.

I've seen some deputies with short-barreled pump shotguns, which require a Class III stamp like a fully-automatic weapon.

My agency issues Colt 6920s, a semi-auto AR carbine, which is slowly supplanting the Remington 870s. We don't have enough rifles for every officer, but I'm not buying more shotguns because I anticipate that eventually we will transition to using them for less-lethal force options ("bean bag" type rounds). I, myself, usually carry a shotgun because the vehicle I'm driving now only has a shotgun rack.

I think at this point in time, semi-auto M-4 type carbines are all anybody is actually buying. However, agencies will continue to deploy whatever they have in the rack, especially for these big deployments.

And, yes, 30-round mags are standard, in spite of the state ban on mags exceeding 10 rounds...

Last edited by R1145; February 11, 2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old February 12, 2013, 12:55 AM   #6
rc

Fish and game officer that came to harass me target shooting had an AR slung across his chest loaded for bear. I told him go away unless target shooting on private property was now against the law and he stood down and left.
Old February 13, 2013, 05:23 AM   #7
LRChops

Im an LEO and I have not seen a mini-14 in use since 1991. Must be small agencies using them because M4's are the industry standard for law enforcement. We are only authorized to carry COLT, SIG, DD, LWRC, Bushmaster, RRA, or BCM. The majority of Deputies carry COLT 6940 or 6920, SIG M400, or Daniel Defense M4. We are not allowed to carry a mini-14 as they are antiquated and lousy rifles for CQB engagements. I would not want to take a mini 14 into a gun fight and have to reload in a hurry!
Old February 13, 2013, 08:37 AM   #8
Come and take it.

I would rather have a mini14 that I know will for certian will perform, than an ar15 that may not. although most ar15s with chrome lining are usually pretty reliable.

murphy's law is quite evident in gunfights. after watching combat footage from iraq and afganistan you get to see just how unreliable some of those m4s over there can be at times.

In a law enforcement firefight if you are going through 20 or 30 round magazines you must be taking on the Hell's angels. Anyways the magazine changes are no more difficult than from an ak47. rock and lock.

One could say the ar15 can have problems with magazine changes as well. how many times have magazines dropped out of an ar15 that a soldier thought was fully seated.

the mini14 is light. It points and shoots quickly. In a close quarter enviroment those are some pretty decent characteristics.
Old February 13, 2013, 11:45 AM   #9
Ridge_Runner_5

Quote:
how many times have magazines dropped out of an ar15 that a soldier thought was fully seated.
Which is why they are trained to tap it in and then tug on it to make sure.
Old February 13, 2013, 11:50 AM   #10
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Per recent news, the issue is now moot...
Closed Thread