The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 2, 2008, 11:20 AM   #1
wachtelhund1

Thinking about a fixed 6x Scope

I just bought a HK 300 .22 magnum and I need a scope for it. I want to use it for fox and coyotes in upper WI where the shots are under 100yds. I'm retired and after paying for this HK and the holidays, my budget is shot. So I'm looking for a 6x42mm, as they are normally cheaper, lighter and clearer; but there are not many made anymore at reasonable prices. Anyone have any suggestions?

--------------------
Dave

[email protected]
Old January 2, 2008, 11:38 AM   #2
kametc

Last year my wife got me a Pine Ridge 3X9 rimfire scope from Cabela's. Cost was around 70 somthing. The biggest difference between it and all of my Leupold and Burris scopes is the eye relief is somewhat short. But its clear and holds zero very well. Has a fine crosshair. It's on my 77-22 ruger all weather, and that rifle will fire a 20 round group less than 1" at 35 yards (benchrested). It works much better than the M8-6X Leupold I had on the same rifle a few years ago. It was a good buy for not a lot of money IMHO.

Ken
Old January 2, 2008, 11:48 AM   #3
thallub

It is probably hard to find a 6X42 scope at a decent price. The Nikon ProStaff is a really good scope. Have one in 4X that has been on a muzzleloader since 2003. It has withstood about 400 shots through that hard kicking muzzleloader and has held up: It should last forever on a .22. It is also a very good in low light.

The 4X ProStaff retails for about $100. Nikon also makes a little better 4X42 scope for about $170.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/searc...=search&c=&p=2