The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 2, 2007, 09:12 PM   #1
noddaz

General price for a used...

Ok, I am looking for a used 12 gauge pump shotgun.
(My first shotgun by the way...)
Before jumping in and buying the first gun I come across I would like to get a rough idea just what used shotguns are fetching.
Impossible, I know. Any given day any given gun can go for cheap or Ebay rediculious.
So to make my impossible request a bit easier I will narrow this down to a Mossberg 500 pump. These seem to be plentiful, reliable and it looks like you can buy new barrels (and other goodies) to make the gun over for other hunting uses.
So, that being said. Does anyone have any prices that they have seen these guns going for or that they have bought them for?
Thanks for any help in this.
Noddaz
Old December 2, 2007, 09:22 PM   #2
Musketeer

500s are so cheap there is little reason not to buy one at Dick's or another large discount place new.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old December 9, 2007, 09:39 PM   #3
noddaz

Yep... I have found this out...

Two different places had Mossy 500 combos used for $300...

Dicks has it for $340 NEW...

*sigh*
So unless I come across a deal...... New it is...

Noddaz
Old December 10, 2007, 07:24 PM   #4
lockedcj7

I saw a guy buy a Mossberg 500 with wood stock, 28" bbl and fixed modified choke for $125 at a local flea market. I also saw a 500 HD gun for $165. I just bought a Rem. 870 Express Magnum HD for $260 at a gun shop. With a little patience and luck, you should be able to find a good one for $200ish.
Old December 11, 2007, 08:39 AM   #5
Daniel964

About 2 years ago I got a 500 with both barrels and 3 choke tubes for $140 used. In really nice condition.
Old December 11, 2007, 11:46 AM   #6
noddaz

Outstanding!

So there ARE deals out there....
And now that hunting season is over I have almost a year to look.
Thanks...
Old December 11, 2007, 12:26 PM   #7
Clayfish

hit the local pawn shops. There's usually an abundance of pump shotguns for very cheap.
Old December 12, 2007, 10:20 AM   #8
kjack

Ditto on the Pawn Shops

Two years ago, I walked into a local shop and saw an 870 Magnum Express (matte finish, hardwood stock) that didn't have any wear. When the gentleman at the counter said $170, I darn near ripped my back pocket reaching for the credit card.

Price at WalMart was $230 at the time, so I think a 25% discount is a good deal.
Old December 12, 2007, 08:17 PM   #9
chuter

The Mossberg 835 is a great field gun. It will eat 2-3/4 through 3-1/2, has a robust operating system, vent rib barrel and a nice recoil pad. It will accept screw in chokes too. Most critters really don't care if you shoot them with a black shotgun or a camo painted shotgun. The black gun will be less expensive. I got my used one for $100 from a buddy who was moving up to a fancy-dancy over and under.