The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 15, 2009, 12:16 AM   #1
b money

finding Brass??????

Quote:
If you live near any military base visit the closest scrap yards where a lot of good stuff winds up. I also used to get 2,000 pound load from a Scrap yard near a Marine base.

I also signed up for DOD Department of Defense auctions and got a lot of good brass that way
I read this on another forum, and am just wondering what you guys think of getting brass this way. Also I'm really wondering about the DOD auctions, if anyone does this or has info on them please share

Thanks
Old March 15, 2009, 03:54 AM   #2
bedlamite

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344718
Old March 15, 2009, 07:46 AM   #3
Sevens

Defense auctions?
I think you have to buy them literally, by the ton or near ton.

If you can use TWO THOUSAND POUNDS of range brass, that might be the way to go! There is certainly a market for resale, no doubt.
Old March 15, 2009, 09:02 AM   #4
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

C'mon, everyone NEEDS and HAS ROOM FOR several thousand pounds of brass. You can never have enough!!!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old March 15, 2009, 09:04 AM   #5
DiscoRacing

wonder if i have enough in my piggy bank to finance a ton of brass???!!!
Old March 15, 2009, 01:36 PM   #6
the_right_reverend

scrap price for brass on the current market value is 47 cents a lb thats $940 a ton less then a truck load

that works out to about 140,000 5.56 cases or 75,000 7.62 cases

or something like $7.00 per M for 5.56 or $13 per M for 7.62

a 55 gal drum hold something like over 1900 lbs of 9mm cases

think if it rains tomorrow may make a couple calls

Last edited by the_right_reverend; March 15, 2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old March 15, 2009, 02:47 PM   #7
kraigwy

Quote:
finding Brass??????

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
If you live near any military base visit the closest scrap yards where a lot of good stuff winds up. I also used to get 2,000 pound load from a Scrap yard near a Marine base.

I also signed up for DOD Department of Defense auctions and got a lot of good brass that way

I read this on another forum, and am just wondering what you guys think of getting brass this way. Also I'm really wondering about the DOD auctions, if anyone does this or has info on them please share
Don't know how it is now, but when I was running the AK NG Marksmanship Unit I was always short of turn in brass.

Ft, Richardson had a live fire/close combat range. You wern't allowed to police brass (while conducting training) there so they let the brass lay. I would go there during off duty hours and gather all I could find. (But I had an IN with the guy who ran the ranges.

Another sourse is to trade used junk brass for once fired match brass from the service teams. We had to turn in brass, but they went by weight. I would trade civilian shooters match brass for their junk brass pound per pound.

One time when I was short of turn in brass I volenteered as a range officer for Helichopter Gunnery practice. I stood (strapped in) on the skids and caught the brass as it came out of the door guns, in a bag. Got a lot of brass that way. Again you have to have an IN with the Avation people.

I did buy surplus brass a couple times, but that was when I had a comerical reloading license. You got to buy a lot of brass per lot.

There is always ways to get brass if one wants to work at it.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 16, 2009, 11:12 PM   #8
Oldfalguy

DOD auctions

ITs been on several forums that the DOD will no longer be selling brass and has to scrap it per some other method which in essence is of no use to any of us.
Maybe someone congress critters can get tot he bottom of this waste.

Mark
Old March 17, 2009, 07:34 AM   #9
wwmkwood

I just checked the liquidation site, all brass must now be distroyed. We are pretty much F*****!
Old March 17, 2009, 07:50 AM   #10
ZeSpectre

Every time I come home from the range I have a small bag full of roughly 10lb of brass (between 400-800 pcs of mixed stuff). I know how long that keeps me busy for so the concept of a 55 Gallon Drum full of brass just blows my mind!
Old March 17, 2009, 05:21 PM   #11
b money

Demil

WHAT THE F***

did that just happen today march 17th??????

I have some words for the "people" that are running this country, but if I say them nobody will ever see me again

seriously that f****** sucks

and just think its only been two months!!!:barf:
Old March 17, 2009, 05:47 PM   #12
Greygoose

As of this afternoon, the decision to scrap all brass has been rescinded. Calibers 50 and under and allowed to be sold to civilians, anything exported has to be shredded
Old March 17, 2009, 06:47 PM   #13
b money

hopefully, but I checked the auction site and all the autions say they need to be destroyed. can you provied a link to this info?
Old March 17, 2009, 07:05 PM   #14
the_right_reverend

Ok you al can stop beating the horse

Quote:
Dear Loyal Customers,

Thanks to your voice, DOD has rescinded the order to mutilate all spent cases as of 4:30 pm on 3/17/09. We appreciate the time and effort that you expended, together we all made a difference. We will be posting the email we received from DOD as well as any additional information within the next 12-16 hours. Thanks so much and lets get to work!!! Georgia Arms
http://georgia-arms.com/
Old March 17, 2009, 07:06 PM   #15
b money

note the word "ALL"

Quote:
Recently it has been determined that fired munitions of all calibers, shapes and sizes have been designated to be Demil code B. As a result and in conjunction with DLA’s current Demil code B policy, this notice will serve as official notification which requires Scrap Venture (SV) to implement mutilation as a condition of sale for all sales of fired munitions effective immediately. This notice also requires SV to immediately cease delivery of any fired munitions that have been recently sold or on active term contracts, unless the material has been mutilated prior to sale or SV personnel can attest to the mutilation after delivery. A certificate of destruction is required in either case.

Thank you,

DOD Surplus
15051 N Kierland Blvd # 300
Scottsdale, AZ 85254

March 12, 2009
God help us!!!!!!!!
Old March 17, 2009, 07:15 PM   #16
b money

sorry, trr didnt see your post

That makes me feel ALOT better. Hopefully thats the last of our worries

Hey, a guy can hope right

also to whoever has a business that relies on gov. brass good luck to you