The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 28, 2001, 08:38 PM   #1
adept

hey folks, looking for some information on a couple of revolvers that i have come accross.

1. "British Bulldog" revolver #32, 5 shot.
2. "Robin Hood" model #2, stainless steel, 2" <or shorter> barrel, 5 shot.

any and all information found/given on these will be greatly appreciated.

Adept

Old May 29, 2001, 08:00 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

The Bulldog is a style of revolver. It's usually defined by being a small gun with a spur trigger in a smaller caliber, most likely .320, .380 or .22lr.
They were usually European in origin and were not usually of first class construction. They were meant to be inexpensive pocket guns.
Sorry but I can't help with the Robin Hood right now.
There should be some proof marks somewhere on the guns if they are indeed European in origin. That would at least give you a country of origin and possibly a timeframe.
Old May 29, 2001, 10:11 AM   #3
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

adept:
Under the British Bulldog I find in the trade names cross over that they were inexpensive pocket revolvers made by unknown American and English companies.

Under Bull Dog I find that Forehand and Wadsworth Co put that name on inexpensive Pocket revolvers they mfg'd. And as FAL308 explained they were also a style or of a type revolver. Not necessarily a brand name. Numerous companies made the Bull Dog type however trade names would be different.

Robin Hood: Trade Name used by Hood Firearms Co on inexpensive revolvers they mfg'd..

As I recall these were made in the 20's and early 30's with little or no collector value. The term inexpensive really means that in this case.

HJN