The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 17, 2007, 01:33 AM   #1
Bigoledude

What's it cost to reload per cartridge

I haven't reloaded since before hurricane Katrina.

Most of what I've re-acquired since the storm, is used equipment. This older, used equipment is precious to me. But, I haven't had a place to set up. My house will be finished in a couple of months and, I'm really looking forward to crankin-em-out.

I know that it takes a loooong time for the equipment to pay for itself.

The question is; How much is it costing these days to reload EACH CARTRIDGE when accounting for brass, powder, bullets, and primers only?

I'm gonna be reloading for .270wsm, 30-06, 45-70, .44 magnum, .44 special, .38 special, .45 acp and 7.62 X 39.

Anyone got an idea of what it's costing to reload for these?
Old September 17, 2007, 06:24 AM   #2
VaFisher

Put the info in for what you ask.
http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp
Old September 19, 2007, 11:55 AM   #3
Sevens

If you need to buy brass, the range in cost is large:
if you purchase once-fired in bulk, you can find it fairly cheap. If you need to buy new brass, it can get pretty pricey, especially in rifle or obscure calibers.

In any case, you'll have to choose your bullets before you have any hope of assigning a price to any of your reloads. If you are purchasing high-performance hunting rifle rounds, it's horribly expensive. $20 and up for a box of 100 bullets. If you are buying bulk cast pistol bullets, you get them in the thousand for $50 and up depending on caliber and weight. And of course, there's a zillion choices in between. Your bullets are the most expensive part of any reloaded round.

Primers are easy to figure--they are going for $2.50 to $3.00 for a hundred. They typically don't offer a volume discount until you buy many thousand. Most folks buy them by the thousand.

Powder isn't tough to figure either--there are 7,000 grains to a pound, so take your favorite load data and plug in the math. If you are loading .30-06 and using 47 grains of powder per loaded round, then you'll be able to make around 150 rounds for your one pound can of powder. The powder runs from $18 to $22 a pound these days. You can get a better deal by purchasing the 4 or 8 pound containers if you have enough money to buy in bulk.

While your best bet for brass and bullets is typically online, buying primers and powder is better done locally. That's simply because most sellers have to charge you $20-$30 extra for shipping of hazardous materials if you buy primers and powder.

It's not easy to simply put a price on a box of reloaded ammo. You have to come up with the brass and you must decide what kind of bullets you are going to use. The other components are relatively static and easy to figure.

If you are wondering if it's still a better deal, the short answer is HELL YES. The longer answer would be... lead has gone up drastically in price, primers are more expensive (and some are scarce these days supposedly because of the war), and powder is more expensive than it used to be. But have you checked factory ammo prices lately? They've skyrocketed. So reloading is without a doubt the way to go.
Old September 19, 2007, 04:04 PM   #4
BigJimP

The cost of primers and bullets are really driving the cost up a lot lately.

But in general, I find my cost per box of 50 on :
9mm is about $ 5.24 per box
.40 is about $ 5.81 per box
.45 ACP about $7.90 per box
.44 mag is about $ 8 per box

I've quit reloading for my rifles these days - so can't answer you there.

I use Montana gold bullets all CMJ ( a premium bullet ) and CCI primers ( middle of the road primer on cost ).
Old September 19, 2007, 05:08 PM   #5
RickB

Primers have been the big driver, for me. It seemed like primers were $12-$14/1000 for years and years, and now I'm paying $25-$30 for them.
Old September 19, 2007, 06:37 PM   #6
BigJimP

I agree - primers have rissen much faster than bullets over the last year or so ( but a good time to put in some inventory if you have the room to store them ).

But it's still way cheaper to reload than to buy ammo - and you get a much better quality load providing you follow good procedures and practices
( keep the press and your bench clean, check your press adjustments, check the collar nuts on your dies to make sure they are tight, check and re-check your powder drops and adjustments, calibrate your scale, etc).
Old September 20, 2007, 11:51 AM   #7
swmike

Reloading can be even more inexpensive if you keep your eyes open. Earlier this week I dropped into a small gun shop that "dabbled" in reloading supplies. They had some 9mm hard cast bullets on the shelf that had been there for a couple of years. Bought 1,000 for $38. Also bought some 9mm FMJ's for less than $.03 ea.

Previously I bought all his small pistol primers for $12/thousand.

Wherever I go I stop in gun shops and look for odd lots and close out prices.

My average 9mm load cost is now less than 6 cents per round. (Compare that to $0.16 per round for cheap new rounds)

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old September 20, 2007, 04:27 PM   #8
CrustyFN

I have found a C&R license to be very handy. It cost $30 and is good for three years. It will let me buy Magtech primers for just under $16 per thousand and for example Titegroup for $11 a pound. The $20 hazmat fee is nothing when you are saving that much.
Rusty