The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 18, 2016, 11:19 AM   #1
Joe_Pike

1949 Marlin 336 RC Waffle Top

I have a chance to pick up this gun, but I'm curious as to what its value may be. I could probably buy it for $300, and for a shooter I'm sure that's more than fair. I would like to have it to shoot, but I also would like it in original condition . This one is not. It has had the rear sight replaced with a ghost ring sight and I believe the stock has been replaced. Either that or someone added a pistol grip cap and spacer and changed out the butt plate for the one with the white spacer.

I'm sure the sight would be easy enough to change back, but it might be a little more difficult to find a correct stock.

Anyway, how much do you think these items affect the value? Like I said, I'm NOT thinking of buying it for a safe queen, but I also like older guns that are original.

Last edited by Joe_Pike; April 18, 2016 at 11:26 AM.
Old April 18, 2016, 01:17 PM   #2
Guv

What is the condition of the blueing and the bore? Also I think in 49 it may not have been drilled and tapped on top of the receiver for a scope or had the white line spacers. My 1947 36 doesn't have the spacers or a grip cap. If it's in good shape overall I would say it's easily worth $300.00.
Old April 18, 2016, 03:14 PM   #3
Salmoneye

Pretty sure you are correct that the butt stock has been changed out...

As you guess, $300 would be about right for a shooter with 'incorrect' parts...
Old April 18, 2016, 04:54 PM   #4
Joe_Pike

Bore is good. Finish has a few issues on the barrel. Front sight has also been switched out. Receiver has not been drilled and tapped. $300 would have been a pretty good discount off of the sticker, so, I have decided to pass. I was pretty excited when I first noticed the waffle top. Oh, well. Easy come, easy go.