The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 6, 2016, 12:49 AM   #1
DaleA

Wild Boar Hunters Needed in Japan

The radioactive Fukushima area in Japan seems to have become quite the breeding area for wild boar. Seems the population has gone from 3,000 to about 13,000 and they are becoming pests. The Japanese are encouraging hunters to go after them. Unfortunately the meat cannot be eaten because of the radioactivity. Here's the story.

https://www.rt.com/news/338567-fukus...ve-wild-boars/

Wonder if the Japanese would consider sponsoring 'Wild Boar Safari Hunts'? Lots of southern folk from the U.S. might be interested in a hunting vacation to Japan.

Couple personal notes:
1. I'd like to take them with a long range firearm...the better to stay away from the radiation don't you know...
2. Could be kind of interesting to hunt them at night especially if they glow in the dark...

P.S. Whoops! Count me out! A friend just showed me a copy of the movie Godzilla and I'm now in no mood to go looking for radioactive Japanese monsters. If we're not careful they might come over here looking for us!
Old April 6, 2016, 07:58 AM   #2
2ndsojourn

What will they do with 13,000 dead hogs? Just leave them laying around to rot? I guess the buzzards and worms gotta eat too, right?
Old April 6, 2016, 12:17 PM   #3
kilimanjaro

There's going to be a movie about this, it's just too good to pass up. Remember The Killer Shrews from the 1950's? Packs of giant, radioactive shrews roaming the landscape, with a group of hikers and scientists holed up in a cabin, fending them off.

Of course, the shrews were German Shepard dogs, but, hey, King Kong was only three feet tall.
Old April 6, 2016, 12:23 PM   #4
Glenn E. Meyer

Quote:
1. I'd like to take them with a long range firearm...the better to stay away from the radiation don't you know..
Better be a cruise missile. If you are walking the area the boars are - you will mutate into the GIAGANTO-Gaijin.
Old April 6, 2016, 03:39 PM   #5
ThomasT

Glow in the dark pigs. Cool.
Old April 6, 2016, 04:39 PM   #6
lamarw

There are plenty of wild hogs down South in the U.S.A. for the Southern folks to hunt. Those down here are also edible. They just don't glow in the dark.
Old April 6, 2016, 04:48 PM   #7
Shimpy

Quote:
What will they do with 13,000 dead hogs? Just leave them laying around to rot? I guess the buzzards and worms gotta eat too, right?
Then the buzzards and worms would glow. I'd suggest ship the dead hogs to Iran.
Old April 6, 2016, 05:08 PM   #8
rightside

Oh-No, There goes Tokyo--Hog Zilla!
Old April 6, 2016, 07:23 PM   #9
rickyrick

13,000, how quaint
Old April 6, 2016, 08:37 PM   #10
carguychris

History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of men.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy
I'd suggest ship the dead hogs to Iran.
Nah, air-drop them over Daesh-held towns in Syria.
Old April 6, 2016, 10:02 PM   #11
JWT

Why go to Japan when the wild pigs are over running this country? But, they don't glow...
Old April 6, 2016, 10:45 PM   #12
SHR970

The Japanese government has been overtly hostile to private weapons ownership since the disarming of the samurai.

They were promised a bed of roses.. well they got it.....thorns included. Since the thorny parts make up a bulk of the rosebush.. they got a good smelling bed of nails thorns.

When they invite me to come over, providing the permission slips well in advance for my guns and ammo, and provide me compensation for my services to them, I'll consider it.

Otherwise, I can do plenty of it a few hours to the north of me with far less regulations... and I'm in Kali.
Old April 7, 2016, 08:20 PM   #13
9x45

Only if they are over 1,000 lbs....

Old April 8, 2016, 06:20 AM   #14
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
13,000, how quaint
Hahahahaha!

Have we already forgotten about all the radioactive wildlife in Europe from Chernobyl?

And yes, what about the millions of hogs we have here that aren't radioactive?

Can you imagine the red tape in trying to hunt with firearms in a country like Japan that doesn't like firearms???
Old April 8, 2016, 08:11 AM   #15
Snyper

Why isn't all that "deadly radiation" killing everything there?
Old April 8, 2016, 08:36 AM   #16
DaleA

'Deadly radiation'...
I am not a physicist nor have I ever played one on TV. Actually all my knowledge on this topic comes from a one hour public TV show on Chernobyl.

The radiation IS bad there. People live about 65 years and the radiation would knock some years off this and cause cancers and tumors and stuff. Even exposure for just a few days might cause health problems years later...

Lots of wildlife however, only live a few years anyway, 7 or 8 years in the wild. The radiation DOES affect them and maybe knocks a year or two off there life and does cause tumors and cancers in the animals but takes a few years to do it and their lives are short any way so they can flourish for a while, which they are doing in both Chernobyl and Fukushima.

I am REALLY willing to be corrected on the science of this topic.
Old April 8, 2016, 08:51 AM   #17
TimSr

Quote:
Can you imagine the red tape in trying to hunt with firearms in a country like Japan that doesn't like firearms???

I was wondering what the local "hunters" were using. I was under the impression that you couldn't own firearms in Japan, and am not sure if that impression was falsely created. Maybe they are using bows and spears.

Not that I would try it, but I've always wondered how the radiation in the hog could be all that harmful if you consume it, when it doesn't seem to be having that much of an effect on the hog carrying it.
Old April 8, 2016, 02:34 PM   #18
lamarw

Going to a livestock auction in the good ole USA will even cause you to think twice about eating bacon again. The auctions normally have buyers from major meat packing companies in attendance. They buy what farmers do not want such as hogs and cows with big abnormal growths and seeping sores on them. Then the soup companies buy all the aged laying hens that are almost featherless and covered with insects. Farmers also unload a lot of rotten tomatoes and other veggies to the major soup companies. It is harmless since it has been sterilized. LOL
Old April 8, 2016, 04:45 PM   #19
Glenn E. Meyer

We are just wandering all over the place now.

Radiation has long term effects - so that's how eating it might be you later.

But - closed.

PS - radioactive wildlife from Chernobyl (esp. boars) are wandering over Europe.

http://www.theatlantic.com/science/a...rnobyl/479652/