The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 6, 2011, 02:46 PM   #1
Bartholomew Roberts

Washington Times Editor Attempts to Navigate D. C. Gun Laws

Emily Miller, an editor at the Washington Times, is attempting to get her D. C. Handgun Permit and is going to blog the process here:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...-gets-her-gun/

I thought the link might be interesting for any D.C. area members who were wondering what it takes to get a permit as well as being an interesting look at how the process is actually working (or not working) in D. C. right now.

ETA: Here is a link to the main page with all of the articles on it. The link above only goes to the first article (yesterday):
http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/

Last edited by Bartholomew Roberts; October 6, 2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old October 6, 2011, 02:59 PM   #2
Stressfire

Huh...well, i don't see that getting very far, but if she makes enough noise - bet the social media will help alot - we might just have an interesting case.
Old October 6, 2011, 03:03 PM   #3
Mr. James

This should be good! The first page or so of comments was heartening - all showing her strong support. Thanks, Mr. Roberts.

Bob James

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old October 6, 2011, 03:15 PM   #4
Hardcase

After reading part 2 today, I can see that this is going to be an extraordinarily frustrating exercise for her.

I have always been happy that I live where I live, but lately even more so.
Old October 7, 2011, 04:06 AM   #5
JeffH

Lovely young lady and I wish her luck in her quest, but based on her first post, some good personal security training would serve her better than any firearm.
Old October 7, 2011, 08:06 AM   #6
Eghad

I think Emily will be a very frustrated woman. However, the next time that DC is taken to court these articles could be possible fodder in the case. Here is a woman who is a victim of a crime that could have possibly been worse for her. Who has a legitimate need for self defense.

NRA Life Member
Old October 7, 2011, 01:02 PM   #7
Fishing_Cabin

I wish Mrs Miller well on her path to own a handgun in DC. Nice to see someone from the media blog about it! It seems, at least from my point of view, alot of the media is against firearm ownership at all, so I hope this may become a talking point at the office as well.

As to her safety/defensive tactics in the situations she blogged about...I would say she should try to become more aware of whats going on around her for her safety. I admit, and others here should as well to being caught in my "own little world" when things pop up... Its something that unfortunatly we all have to work on. No one is perfect all the time. I wish the America was alot safer place, but its not. Sometimes in reality, even though we may not enjoy it, we need to take a min or two and either be a good witness or retreat while contacting law enforcement. Sometimes its good to speak up and see whats going on also. There is a time and place for things, and its best not to get to wraped up and have tunnel vision that gets us no where but in trouble.

It is best we understand that, "if" we have the chance to pick and choose a battle, we pick which ones which are worth fighting, and leave the ones that are not alone.
Old October 7, 2011, 01:16 PM   #8
pnac

Quote:
After reading part 2 today, I can see that this is going to be an extraordinarily frustrating exercise for her.
She ought to have plenty to write about, for a long time!
Oh Lord grant me speed - Gram Parsons
Old October 7, 2011, 03:08 PM   #9
Spats McGee
Staff

This looks like it's going to be a good read, even if it is a little disturbing (from a "look at what's happened to our Constitutional rights" perspective).
Old October 7, 2011, 03:25 PM   #10
SHNOMIDO

Makes me grateful for what i DO have here in Illinois. The FOID system is a failure, but at least it WORKS. Not works as in keeps people safe, but as in you send in the form and you get a card, and when you show that card to someone they sell you a gun. Opposed to, go to some wierd office and get a pile of paperwork and some confusing answers.

Man i hate magazine capacity restrictions. Dont they realize a criminal can just reload in half a second? It doesn't prevent anything.
Old October 8, 2011, 09:19 AM   #11
Spats McGee
Staff

As an amusing aside, after I got done reading the blog entries, I went off and started reading the DC Code on firearms. In one section (on transporting firearms, I think), their code mandates that a firearm be "uploaded."
Old October 8, 2011, 03:46 PM   #12
JeffH

Quote:
The FOID system is a failure, but at least it WORKS.
Um...
Old October 8, 2011, 04:23 PM   #13
Patriot86

IMO the FOID system is a waste of money. You go through the same type of background check when you buy a firearm. The ONLY argument you have for the FOID system is it keeps felons from buying AMMUNITION. The only plus side to the whole FOID thing IMO is it is a secondary form of Photo ID

Quote:
Man i hate magazine capacity restrictions. Dont they realize a criminal can just reload in half a second? It doesn't prevent anything.
I am still waiting to see these "assault clips" the brady campaign keeps talking about, they sound real cool and real dangerous and MUST somehow make a weapon more dangerous...
Old October 10, 2011, 01:36 PM   #14
Hardcase

Quote:
Makes me grateful for what i DO have here in Illinois. The FOID system is a failure, but at least it WORKS. Not works as in keeps people safe, but as in you send in the form and you get a card, and when you show that card to someone they sell you a gun. Opposed to, go to some wierd office and get a pile of paperwork and some confusing answers.
Makes me even more grateful for what I have here in Idaho. I fill out a yellow form, show my driver's license to the nice man behind the counter, wait for a phone call, take my gun and leave.

Or, even better, I fill out that form, show him my CCW card, take my gun and leave.

When I buy ammo, I pay, take my ammo and leave.

No weird offices, no government hanky panky and, amazingly, the streets aren't running red with blood.

(BTW, I understand your point about the lesser of two evils...I'm just sayin'.)
Old November 3, 2011, 04:48 PM   #15
Bartholomew Roberts

Just thought I would update this thread. The story series is still running and still no gun yet. Hopefully that is just to drag out the entertainment value and D.C.'s registration process isn't so complex that it takes over a month; but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case,
Old November 3, 2011, 05:10 PM   #16
Patriot86

I have been following it and it shines a perfect light on how laughable DC Gun Laws are. Shall not be infringed was payed no heed in the existing DC Gun Laws.
Old November 3, 2011, 05:19 PM   #17
MC 1911

Actually Mr.Roberts,its not for entertainment value. DC is really that screwed up!!
Old November 4, 2011, 02:02 AM   #18
jimpeel

The most disturbing part of her most recent story:

Quote:
Next up in the series: the unsafe, safety class.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old November 4, 2011, 09:56 AM   #19
Uncle Buck

Tag.

I was trying to find the most recent addition to her series and could not find this thread.
Old November 4, 2011, 10:18 AM   #20
Wyoredman

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/

Here is the address again.
Old November 4, 2011, 01:10 PM   #21
hermannr

Emily has one good thing going for her. Her boss is enough of a gun guy that he lives in VA. That kind of backup for your idea has to help.

I have a good friend in DC, and I would say that the blog is not being strung out for entertainment value. I think Emily is doing a great service to the local people in DC,

It is not at all like here in the other Washington. When I finally decided I wanted to purchase a few more guns, (I normally OC, no permit required) and had enough of the "wait", I went down to the local Sheriff's office, they handed me a application, I filled it out, the desk Deputy took my fingerprints, I gave her $55.75 and walked out the door all in about 15 minutes. Less than a week later my CPL was at my home, USPS.

The next time I purchased a pistol I took it home with me instead of having to wait and come back and pick it up...quite an advantage when you live 40 miles from nowhere.
Old November 4, 2011, 01:13 PM   #22
hermannr

How about putting a sticky on this until the mission has been accomplished?
Old November 4, 2011, 08:36 PM   #23
ltc444

Back a few years I was stationed at the Pentagon. I Stayed in Anacostia which was the drug capital of the free world.

When my boss found out about my situation, he provided me with a DC commuter special. a Davis 32 which was teflon coated.

He instructed me on the protocol. Load with with gloves. If someone tried to jack my car shot him. Hit the nearest bridge and throw it in the Potomaic.

If it happened I could pay him 39.95 his cost.

There is a need for cheap saturday night specials. He was a gun dealer and made a mint on one of the buy back programs.

Good luck Emily. if you ever travel to AZ let me know and you can stay with my wife at our homestead and enjoy the mountains of Eastern AZ
Old November 19, 2011, 10:30 PM   #24
hermannr

bump for Emily
Old November 20, 2011, 10:01 AM   #25
Patriot86

I really can see her point about the "unsafe" safety class, most of us are men so we think like men. But think of things like a single woman, you have to call up some man you have never met and may not have an established business then you have to go meet him potentially a hundred miles from home. I imagine it can be intimidating.