The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 9, 2006, 10:09 PM   #1
Jseime

Good coyote hunt

The other day I got out for the first time in a long time and finally got a coyote that I know has outsmarted me several times.

I initially scared him away into the hills with my truck (dang flowmaster) but i drove a little further down the coulee and got a good hillside setup and started to call. It took a little while but he started to howl and yip at me from way over yonder. I called and called and called and finally saw him making a beeline for me coming from close to a 1/2 mile away. When he got a little closer I lost sight of him but he stopped and kept howling. I finally got glass on him and he was about 1000 yards away sitting howling and barking.

After crawling on my belly for a considerable distance and calling for a while longer I got him to cross the creekbed to within about 300 yards of me. The sun was fading and I didnt have much more time so I rested on a rock and risked the miss. BOOM, my .270 rolled him and after several misses and several non-shots in the last while I got him.

I hadnt hunted coyotes for so long I almost forgot what a rush it is. To all you newbies out there find someone who hunts yotes often and go with them its worth all the tea in China.
Old August 9, 2006, 10:29 PM   #2
FirstFreedom

Nice. Smart little buggers huh?
Old August 10, 2006, 02:46 PM   #3
Scorch

Him sitting a ways off and yipping was telling the others in the area that you were there. Too bad he never took a look at a ballistics table!! Good work!
Old August 10, 2006, 06:55 PM   #4
jhgreasemonkey

Nice one! Last deer season I was way into the hills and a darn coyote started yapping at me for about 10 minutes! For the life of me I couldnt spot him and it seemed like he was moving around. I was worried he would scare away any deer in the area. But luckily for some unknown reason I shot a deer in the same spot about half an hour later. Weird. There were 3 of em in the field below us that apparently didnt leave when he was yapping. He was LOUD too.
Old August 10, 2006, 10:02 PM   #5
Jseime

The reason that these little buggers are so fun to hunt is that they are so smart.

All he woulda had to do was stay still and I never would have spotted him even at 300 yards but he seemed very antsy moving around a lot and he was moving as he howled and yapped at me. It also didnt help that just after i first saw him i had to shoot at a badger that was very very close to me (because of the call) and i know badgers, believe me theyre no miss congeniality. Mr. yote became very very wary after that first gunshot actually im surprised he still came in.

It's gonna be a while before i can get out again we just started taking the crop off so im busy playing farmer most of the time right now. but ive got that itch again.