The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 14, 2013, 08:01 PM   #1
FloridaGuy

Dillon Square Deal "B" Users

I have 2 SDB from Dillon and I love it. My I have purchased a quick change setup for each of the calibers that I reload. Does anyone else have the quick change setups? If so how do you store them especially with a full powder measure? Dillon does not make a stand for the quick change setup on the SDB like they do for there other presses.

Authorized Blackhound Optics Dealer www.blackhoundoptics.com/CWFT
Old May 14, 2013, 08:54 PM   #2
NoSecondBest

I had one for quite a while but got rid of it a few years ago. I don't remember the powder measure being part of the quick change setup. I believe the change was the base plate and the dies. The powder measure simply got adjusted for whatever you changed it over to.
Old May 14, 2013, 09:18 PM   #3
Misssissippi Dave

I have one but I leave it set up only for one caliber at the moment. This may change later in the year. I was thinking of just taking a piece of 2X6 to just make a holder. I figure I could make some holes to let things sit level. Until I finally get my own kit I will just have to wait to see what will work the best for me. The shell plate and locater pins could just go back into the box they came in.
Old May 14, 2013, 09:29 PM   #4
FloridaGuy

I guess I will have to make a trip to the home improvement store this weekend and see what I can make to hold them. Because I currently have 5 of them and that will probable increase.

Authorized Blackhound Optics Dealer www.blackhoundoptics.com/CWFT
Old May 14, 2013, 09:30 PM   #5
Farmland

Yes it is missing that center hole to use a stand of any type. Maybe you can make some kind of a block in the shape of the tool head would be a good guess.
Old May 14, 2013, 09:41 PM   #6
Vance

I just empty the powder back into the jug it comes in and put the quick change unit in a cabinet drawer by my bench. the pins, dies and shell plate goes into the case that comes with the caliber conversion.
Old May 15, 2013, 04:22 AM   #7
Airman Basic

Back when it was the new best thing, accepted practice was to buy a whole new press for the three calibers I loaded back then. Just looked at the prices and see why that's not the "deal" now. Think I'll root around and see what I paid for them back then.
Old May 15, 2013, 08:30 AM   #8
g.willikers

When the square deal press first was introduced, the price, if memory serves, was like $129.
But that was at least twenty five years ago., when the dollar was worth at least thirty cents or so.
Old May 15, 2013, 01:16 PM   #9
BigJimP

My buddy still uses a SDB press...--- and he's got a "peg board" setup on the wall of his shop ...and he just hangs the quick change kit, with the powder measure on it ( but he dumps the powder out of it first ) ....on the peg-board../ but you could make most any kind of a stand to set the tool head down into and support it out of wood too.

If you leave powder in the powder measures...it will discolor ( yellow ) the plastic walls of the powder measure pretty dramatically...to the point where you can hardly see thru it.../ and it happens in just a few months...
Old May 15, 2013, 09:14 PM   #10
Lost Sheep

Bad idea, good idea

Bad idea:

Leaving powder in your powder measure. Powder can "out-gas" and change burning characteristics. Best to store it in the original container. Also, some plastics are adversely affected by prolonged contact with gunpowder. Lastly, if you ever forget to have a label on your powder measure, you may not remember correctly what powder is in the measure. Don't laugh, it has happened to loaders, even with many years experience.

Good idea:

Your idea of having a place for each toolhead. Whether the place gives full protection (part one of the paragraph below) or just gives a permanent location (second part), good idea.

I keep my quick-change toolheads in plastic cylinders. Figure out what diameter will fit your tool head and buy a length of PVC plumbing pipe of that diameter, cap the end (one or both). Or, you could take a shelf from wherever you want to store your tool heads and cut out nesting notches for the toolheads.

Good luck

Lost Sheep
Old May 15, 2013, 10:18 PM   #11
osceolawell

I keep my conversion kits in zip lock bags and then the bags go into
a Tupperware box.
I traded a 22 rifle for another SDB and now I have one set up for 9mm
and the other set up for 45acp. These are the two I use most. Then
I can change one or the other over for 44 mag., 357, or 38 when I need
to run some. Most of the time they are set up for 9 & 45.
Love my Square Deal's.
Old May 16, 2013, 11:15 AM   #12
jmorris

I store them in ziplock bags too. I don't have separate measures though. I do have extra powder bars that are kept preset for the loads I use. It only takes one bolt to swap them out and they are cheap vs the entire measure.
Old May 16, 2013, 11:25 AM   #13
totaldla

I'm a ziplock bag kind of man myself - but I'd love to find some container that could be "regifted" into storing my caliber conversions.

I don't know if Dillon is using a different plastic now, but my SDB powder hopper from the 90's uses a plastic that is etched by double-base powders. So I dump it out at the end of a session.
Old May 16, 2013, 11:32 PM   #14
judgecrater

SD user

I have two SDs now and love them also. When I remove a powder assembly I do return the powder to the original container. I would be concerned about mixing powders or making an error in the powder type left in the powder measure.
As far as a stand, I would imagine you could fashion some sort of holder out of a 2x4.
Other thoughts: I did the math involving the expense of adding a third caliber to my existing SD and by the time you get the dies, tool head, etc. it just made more sense to get a second unit.
Old May 17, 2013, 04:14 PM   #15
jmorris

Some of the SD folks might get a kick out of this video. After a "tinker" session.