The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 7, 2007, 09:09 AM   #1
jaymce

Wanted: Pre-ban high cap mags at reasonable price.

I would like to find some pre-ban (on or prior to 9/94) mags (30 round). Coming from a state that requires mags bearing that date any one know were I can find some?
Thanks
Old November 7, 2007, 09:57 AM   #2
armoredman

What firearm? Is it legal to import preban mags into your state? Check that out first, make sure everything is aboveboard and legal. then start looking at CDNN, Cheaper Than Dirt, and the rest of the Internet, to inlcude GunBroker.
Old November 7, 2007, 10:48 AM   #3
jaymce

armoredman,

I do not see any thing in the law regarding high cap mags that would exclude them entering the state as long as they were legally purchased prior to 09/94 when assault weapon ban went into effect. Nor do I see anything that says they can be imported.

If any one knows different please let me know, I do not want to be in violation of the law. Nor do I wish to cause any difficulties for anyone.

I am looking specifically for AR-15 mags in .223/ 5.56

Moderators may wish to move this to the Buy/sell section. I did not read down far enough, this post may be better suited to that forum.
Thanks
Old November 7, 2007, 10:52 AM   #4
Manedwolf

What state is this?
Old November 7, 2007, 12:48 PM   #5
jaymce

Sorry, trying to take in too much info at once on several fronts.

Lovely Massachusetts. Second only to California in gun law insanity.
Old November 7, 2007, 01:21 PM   #6
The Tourist

I'm confused here. Why the need for 'pre-ban'?

After all, the high-cap legislation has lapsed. Additionally, pre-ban mags were not marked with manufacturing dates. A magazine for a Browning Hi-Power made in 1935 functions the same (and probably looks the same) as one made yesterday.

I have a few Sarah Brady mags for my USP. Mine work fine, but I'm always looking for additional hi-caps. The date of manufacture never struck me as an important factor.
Old November 7, 2007, 01:40 PM   #7
jaymce

I know it sound stupid. You know what is even more stupid. I have a license that allows me to own hi-cap mags I just can not own any that were made after the assault weapons ban on 9/94.
While almost all the other states realize that those who wish to do harm will not care what date there mag was made, who made there gun (probably illegally purchased), or weather it is legal for them to own in the first place.

Mass. takes the position that if high cap mags and firearms in general are outlawed that there will be no crime. Geez I do not know why the rest of you can not understand this simple theory. No guns = no crime worked in Australia and England did it not? (those with opposing thoughts do not count)

Those of us who wish to abide by the law are put in a position to pay extra or go to extra lengths in order to not brake the law.
Old November 7, 2007, 03:26 PM   #8
Yellowstone

Maybe this wil help:

After the ban, newly manufactured magazines were marked for restriction law enforcement/military only, OWTTE. Although there were so many magazines made in advance (pre-ban) there never was a shortage... just higher prices.

So, if the magazine is not marked for law enforcement/military restriction, it was manufactured pre-ban unless, of course, the magazine was manufactured after the ban ended. In that case it may also be "unmarked".

In WA most never ran out of high capacity magazines. After the ban sunsetted, we could possess law enforcement/military restriction magazines also. Your state of MA may differ.

As example, I still have new, in wrapper, military surplus AR15 magazines that I've had since before the ban. They look just like the surplus mags that were made after the ban... without the "restriction" language on them.

So, unless your source can assure you it is a pre-ban magazine you (or anyone else) may never be certain... unless it is marked with the "restriction" language or date stamped on the bottom plate. The manufacturing dates may also be found on the wrapper.

If MA has a law allowing only pre-ban magazines, I wonder how anyone could tell them apart. Besides, there are lots of lightly used Circle K magazines available real cheap.

What is confusing to me is that it appears that you are telling me that MA never sunsetted the federal 1994 gun control act, like what happened in my state. That would indeed make it very confusing as to whether you are in compliance.

I feel your pain.
Old November 7, 2007, 04:00 PM   #9
jaymce

Yellowstone:
It is my understanding that pre-ban dated or unmarked will suffice. I think I would prefer dated just to be sure.

Yes, MA. retained the assault weapons ban. Thus it must meet the standards of a rifle under MA. Law. Please, I do not wish to turn this into a post about how crappy MA. is. We know, agree and do what we can while we can. Funny that the area know for the birth of the county (with a gun by the way) is quickly working to eliminate the second amendment.

Thanks for everyone's help and sympathy thus far. I have sourced some pre-ban 20 round mags thus far. Still I would like to have a few 30 round mags. With the cost of ammo these days I do not picture even taking out 20 round mags and blasting away. I will probably also get some 10 round mags for regular use. I just know that it is not going to get easier to get magazines in this state and if I stock up now I do not have to worry later.
Old November 7, 2007, 05:10 PM   #10
Manedwolf

Just so you know, most suppliers of hi-caps simply won't sell to MA, period. Their shipping stuff will have a caveat about that.

Also, keep in mind that the burden of proof is on you that they're preban and you already had them. What will you do if MA authorities say "You're lying, you just got those and they're new."

How will you prove otherwise?
Quote:
If MA has a law allowing only pre-ban magazines, I wonder how anyone could tell them apart.
Can't, and AFAIK, the burden of proof is on you. If MA decides to make an example of you and say you're lying about them and they're actually new...what're you gonna do?
Old November 8, 2007, 12:41 AM   #11
The Tourist

I'm not even sure that markings on high-caps made for the military or the police during the so-called ban apply to citizens now, anyways.

Police routinely trade in their firearms. In fact, lots of guys look for firearms previously owned by LEOs because they are "carried a lot and shot a little" and have some very competitive pricing. Some pistols come with numerous spare magazines.

In fact, of the bushel-basketsful of magazines I own (going back to the Vietnam war) I haven't a clue if any have markings, nor have I ever seen any.
Old December 13, 2007, 08:18 AM   #12
jaymce

I found some mags local and I am now all set. I appreciate everyones input and help.