The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 4, 2006, 12:20 AM   #1
swipter

Browning 525 Citori, need help

I purchased a Browning 525 Citori and can not get the front stock to click in. They did at the dealer. Is there a trick to it that I am missing?

Thanks
Old February 4, 2006, 09:04 AM   #2
kudu

If it is like others, you need to lift up on the release lever in the stock while pushing it into place, let it snap down when it is fully in place. This is after the barrels and receiver are already put together.
Old February 4, 2006, 09:55 AM   #3
swipter

Well, I tried it every way I can see and no luck. Guess I will be taking it back to Sportsman's. The receipt says no refunds on firearms. I bought it less than 12 hours ago. I feel a fight coming on or if they can teach me how to get the front stock on then I will keep it. Seems like it should be easier to go on there than what it is.
Old February 4, 2006, 10:31 AM   #4
Jart

Is the Browning one of the designs that needs to be cocked for the forend to go on easily?
Old February 4, 2006, 10:40 AM   #5
auto45

On the underside of the bbl, there is a small rectangular piece of metal that engages the forend iron and it should move back and forth easily.
If it's stuck, the forend won't go on. Put some oil on it and try it!

The bbl needs to be off of the receiver to check this.

If that's the problem, then it's probably a small "burr", etc which can be fixed easily.

If it's not that, then it's too tight and can be adjusted quickly by someone that KNOWS what they are doing.

Good luck
Old February 4, 2006, 04:34 PM   #6
swipter

Took it back where I discovered I was not pushing it hard enough. How embarrasing.
Old February 4, 2006, 07:46 PM   #7
Jart

Cool.

Thaniks for the follow-up.

I was wondering about this. I've got at least one modern gun where, if uncocked, one has to really slam the forend into place. Still, if it were me with a brand new mega-buck gun, I'd be very circumspect abouit slapping the forend too hard.

Glad it worked out.
Old February 4, 2006, 07:50 PM   #8
swipter

Actually, I just have to push it steadily. I wasn't putting much effort in to it before because I didn't know how hard to push it and thought I may break something.
Old February 4, 2006, 09:28 PM   #9
BUCKMARK

Glad to hear everything is ok.

Brownings are tight from the factory! It will get easier to put back on in time.

BE CAREFUL!!!

I have found that you can and will do more damage to your gun during a routine cleaning than you will shooting it.

be careful taking your gun apart and putting it back together. A little oil on the hands dosent help. One slip and you'll get a scratch or ding. Just take your time and never force anything.

Your 525 will out live you. Sad but true.

Enjoy your gun!

Let's Roll!