The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old December 12, 2002, 09:58 AM   #1
DDGator

What size .45?

I have started doing some informal IPSC shooting in my area and I love it. Primarily, I use my CZ-75B.

I want to get a 1911 style pistol--shopping for my own Christmas present and all... I am leaning toward a compact size because I would carry it on occasion in lieu of my .38 snubby. I would also like to have another gun I could potentially shoot IDPA in CDP or IPSC in production class.

My questions is this -- can you effectively shoot a 3" or 3.5" (leaning toward the 3.5") in IDPA CDP class or IPSC production? Obviously I am not "gaming" or I would buy a full-size 5" 1911 that would be better -- but I know I would never carry that gun.

In short -- can you be competitive with a compact? Does anyone do it?
Old December 12, 2002, 11:11 AM   #2
DAVID NANCARROW

I competed last year in IDPA with a 1991A1 Compact and did well with it. It was especially handy in the weak hand shoots.
Old December 12, 2002, 11:30 AM   #3
cobraman

IPSC production class requires the gun to be Double action. That rules out the 1911 unless you buy a Para LDA, which I suggest you do not do. If you want the primarily for the games buy a 5 inch gun or a commander length. 3.5 inch guns wont be competetive or fun to shoot.
Old December 12, 2002, 03:44 PM   #4
Kermit

Go with what you're most comfy & proficient with. Personally tho, I would recommend the 5"