The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 5, 2015, 01:02 PM   #1
ZVP

Where are all the Piettias?d

Cabelas had the best selection but their site shrnk! It dosent have many revolvers it did!
Luckilly, I did get a .36 Police revolver and a standard .36Navy model recently.
Both are ex ellent! The Police is essentially a full sized frame and cylinder, short barreled '62 Navy. A really nice handling/carry piece!
Icarry it strong side in a cut down Cabelas Western Holster with the '58Navy carried in a Cabelas Hickock holster carried crossdraw. Nice rig!
i also bought a 5 1/2 .44 Remington a couple years ago, powerfull and enough for anything!!
I don't know what it is about those .36's but many of the best killers and gunfighters chose it? Personally, I like the caliber, low powder consumption ,balls a little cheaper,recoil low, but there must be something more in preformanceagainst a man.Maybe velocity orpenetration to vitals but the .36 was VERY popular!
I own smokeless powder revolvers but I really enjoy ShootingB/P!
You handle the revolvers more, theyare so relaxing to shoot! I love measuring each cyamber andsome cases adding COW filler andd the whole one at a time loading process!
On the spot reloading!
I don! like loading from flask to cylinder because you are holding a 1/4 lb BP handgrenade that could go off! I figgure the odds of using a measure each shot are far safer..besides there is the handling thing, playing with accesorys and the gun too!
I almost feel bad when the 6th shot is done cause they go so fast! I purposely let the smoke clear just to slow the process down and enjoy it more.
I got sick of just pouring shells thru the guns! I wanted to slow down and relax.
First I bought a .357 4 5/8" Stainless Vauero to compliment my faithfull Single Six , and to slow shooting down. You also handle the Single Actions more and that's satisfying to me!
BP is the slowest and the most relaxing though.
Speaking of the Vaquero, I bought a 1866 replica sholder holster for it and intend it as a self-defense gun.S/A's were great back in their days and just as lethal and effective today!
I bought the .357 because of it's versitality,
It;s good to slow down and enjoy your guns!
Thanks for reading.
ZVP
Old July 6, 2015, 12:50 PM   #2
bedbugbilly

Don't have an answer as to why the listings are shrinking at Cabelas in regards to Pietta. But, a good example is the Uberti makes. Taylor, Cimarrons, etc. supply depends on what they can get. I wanted a 32-20 Cattleman a while back. Called Taylors and they had one left that was unspoken for in the next shipment that was coming in to them two days later. I couldn't speak for it as I was out of state and couldn't get a FFL transfer arranged in time so I waited. It may be that the supply of the BP Piettas just couldn't keep up with the demand?

I have a New Vaquero as well in 357. Great handgun. To each their own but as much as I like SA revolvers . . .I am not confident in carrying one for SD. Not in today's world where many that you might be facing would be armed with a high capacity semi-auto. Yes . . .it may have been "good enough in the day" . . but "in the day" everyone else was armed with a SA as well. I'm licensed and carry in two states. I'm pretty much a "revolver guy" but I carry a good DA revolver and train in DA. Even though I like my S & Ws for carry, I'm getting ready to switch to a good semi-auto with a higher capacity and the capability to switch out magazines quickly. But again . . . what to carry is a personal decision and the good lord willing, a person will never have to use their handgun in a SD situation.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 7, 2015, 02:35 PM   #3
ZVP

likely the inventory ran outt on some special models.
re-stocking from overseas takes time.
Surebglad I got mine hen I did! I bought the .36 Police model. Essentially a short barreled '62 Navy dolled-up
with a fluted cylinder.
Great handling revolver that can firte 6 full charged shots.
Front siight is brass but small and hard to aqquire. Still shoots fine 21 fttt groups! Plenty good enough for S/D.
at the same time I bought a '51 Navy, a reeal fine shooter!
Next I'm considerting a .31 Colt Pocket model with loading lever.
ZVP
Old July 7, 2015, 02:57 PM   #4
maillemaker

I've been pestering Cabela's to carry more Uberti and Pedersoli offerings.

Steve
Old July 7, 2015, 06:03 PM   #5
AKexpat

Don't worry. Save up your money. When the Thanksgiving/Christmas season comes around again, be assured that Cabela's will sell off whatever excess inventory they have, with free shipping. Got mine (Pietta 1851 Navy steel .36) last year for a <$200.

I'm looking for Cabela's to sale a Uberti 1849 Colt Pocket .31. If you all get a line on that, let me know. If I acquire it, I'll sincerely look for a squareback TG to fit (most folks will say that is a lost cause, but I have nothing but time to see if that is possible). I want to create a double cased 1851 Navy steel squareback repro/1848 Pocket steel squareback repro.

I know others have stated that I should buy a used 1848 "Wells Fargo" repro (ASM or other) just for the TG, but, as I said, have nothing but time on my hands.

Jim
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old July 10, 2015, 11:05 AM   #6
foolzrushn

inventory reduction

The last big sale at the local Cabela's brick and mortar ended the first part of May. I noticed that it was listed as an " inventory reduction" sale.

There was a good selection and almost all models were on sale. Now I notice that the display in the store has fewer models and mostly, only the brass frames remain on sale.

I think they still must have more brass frames on hand than they want. I will have to query a clerk next time I go, to see if that surplus is in each store or they are drawing from a national warehouse. I doubt if a local clerk would know of a change in corporate thinking, but I will ask.

I want more BP shooters so that the product line and supplies are more plentiful in store.

certified 'soap welder'
Old July 15, 2015, 01:19 AM   #7
62coltnavy

The original Colt '62s were built on the '49 frame, cut down to accommodate the larger .36 caliber cylinder, and they were offered in two models, the Police (fluted chamber and round barrel) and Navy (Navy scene with octagonal barrel). These are smaller than the '51/'61 Navies, being only a five shot pistol. They were offered in 4.5", 5.5" and 6.5" barrel lengths, and still are today, although the shorter barrel lengths are pretty rare. I have a Navy with a 5.5" barrel (Uberti), and I should have picked up a 4.5" Police made by ASM when I saw it. Although I think it is a beautiful little gun, it is not all that well built. On arrival (new, unfired), it was very stiff to cock and did not index properly, and almost immediately the hand spring broke. I fixed the indexing issue and the hand spring, but I cannot lighten the hammer if I still want it to fire. My 1861 Pietta Navy (bought tuned) has no such issues.

Where are all the Piettas? I don't know. Ubertis are readily available, but steel framed Peittas are seemingly rare. I won't touch a brassy, which are everywhere. I spent a good long time trying to buy an 1873 SA Pietta with the Ruger style hand spring plunger and a transfer bar, finally scoring one a week ago on GunBroker. I specifically wanted the Pietta because its transfer bar is the same steel plate as the Ruger, while the Uberti seems rather flimsy (Horseman model only), and further, the case coloring on the Piettas is far superior.
Old July 15, 2015, 02:29 PM   #8
Rachen

Penetration of the .36 is extremely effective and terminal. That roundball just drills into the target with minimal deformation. I have shot .36s into ballistic blocks and the recovered balls are almost identical in weight to those that had not been fired. With the exception of some flat sides due to the ball being loaded and smacking into the target, that .36 ball might even be reusable for a few more shots.

To my knowledge, I think the outlaw Jesse James carried a .36 ball between his ribs for the last 20 years of his life. How the ball did not have a chemical reaction with his blood and release a myriad of lead oxide compounds and poisoned him I do not know but that guy has demonstrated himself to be one of the uber-badasses of all time

For one shot stops, especially in areas where you are very likely to be surprised in the middle of the night by violent invaders looking to score drugs or hard cash and most likely under the influence of something while on their endeavors, I have to go with .45s. .454 roundball and 33 grains of FFFg is a proven fight-stopper right then and there.

Speaking of Piettas, you guys should be fine now. A new batch should have arrived at the US distributors in the past 2 months. I just recently acquired a Target model 1858 from Dixie and it is the latest production Pietta. I am talking PRISTINE workmanship. Not even one chink, lag, scratch, or any undesirable symptoms when cycling the cylinder. They claim the rifling on this gun to be "button", but it looks like it had been broached or cut using the most precise tools. Sharp, visible and clean. Looks deadly, feels deadly and since I narrowed down my carry and defense selection to just one sixgun, this Pietta can stand between me and trouble anytime. Their most recent batch exceeds all the Ubertis I have handled before. I had to double-check the gun to make sure that somehow US Firearms didnt start building their long-awaited 1858 series and one of them slipped into a Pietta box
Old July 15, 2015, 09:15 PM   #9
Bishop Creek

Rachen,

Sounds like the Pietta "Shooters" model I bought back in 2003.
Old July 16, 2015, 02:05 PM   #10
ZVP

Yes Piettias are better these days!
I have a long and short BBL '58 the long's loading leverwon't stay up but I just tape it till I figgure it out. Rest of revolver is perfect.
Yea a 'fully charged '58 is a formidable for sure! very good H/D weapon. A Pyrodex charge of 35 GR <Felt Wad and tight ball lasts a long timee. aaapyrdex isn't as suceptable to moisture as real BP ,as I understand it.
Thanks for the .36 info !!! I thought that would be the case with it.
I am a big fan of thee .36. Just have a good feeling about it!
Love my Pieettia '62 Police! 6 shot, full size frame, great balance due to short barrel!
ZVP

Last edited by ZVP; July 16, 2015 at 02:11 PM.
Old July 20, 2015, 09:21 PM   #11
Gaucho Gringo

The Italians have been producing firearms since before Columbus "rediscovered America". Beretta has been in continuous existence since 1526. The area of Italy the the gun manufacturers are located has a long history as to arms manufacturing dating back to Roman times(producing swords, spear and arrow heads) in the region.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8
Old July 21, 2015, 12:29 AM   #12
62coltnavy

Love my Pieettia '62 Police! 6 shot, full size frame, great balance due to short barrel!

Ah, I see now, Pietta isn't too good on historical accuracy when it comes to describing their pistols. Technically, if it is a six shot, it should be called a '61 if in .36 cal, and Pietta does make such a gun with a fluted barrel on a full frame; I assume they call it the Police or Metropolitan Police, but I don't think such a gun ever actually existed. But it also makes the 1860 Army in .36, which of course never existed, either. It matters not as long as you are not a stickler for historical accuracy and enjoy your pistol.