The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 7, 2013, 10:26 PM   #551
Herr Walther

It's already legal in my county and has been since 09JUN.

Been carrying everyday with nothing more than a 40hr MFT and a FOID card.

40hr MFT is for LEO in this State. But I'm not currently working in that position.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old July 8, 2013, 03:01 AM   #552
Tejicano

”There is a remote possibility that the veto will not be over-ridden, and Illinois AG immediately appeals to SCOTUS.”

I cannot imagine that happening since they have already taken this before SCOTUS - the McDonald case - which is what got them to where they are.

Their only options are to 1) enact a law that will pass the muster of the outcome from McDonald or 2) let the time expire and have constitutional carry - until each locality makes up their own version of a carry law which passes muster from McDonald.

Well, there is a very slim chance that they could ask for more time again - but after being given 180 days, then an additional 30 days, I highly doubt the court will let them kick the can even further down the road. I believe Elvis said it best - "It's now or never!"
Old July 8, 2013, 08:08 AM   #553
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

At this point in time, the only place the State can get an extension of time (to delay the mandate), is from the 7th Circuit who has already said that the last 30 day extension would be it. No more.

If no law is in place by tomorrow (July 9th), then the mandate will be issued.

The mandate can be stayed only if Madigan files for cert and requests the SCOTUS to stay the mandate.

This is a game of who blinks first.
Old July 8, 2013, 10:00 AM   #554
Webleymkv

The IL legislature is due back tomorrow so we can expect a vote on whether or not to override Quinn's veto then.

http://illinoishomepage.net/fulltext?nxd_id=508182
Old July 8, 2013, 02:12 PM   #555
SilverBulletZ06

I wonder if the gun crowd in Ill. is asking for a down vote on the veto so they get CC.
Old July 8, 2013, 03:21 PM   #556
Pahoo

Hey, I tried !!!

Like so many politicians, Quinn is just playing it safe. You will never know what is really in his heart as playing politics is more important to these folks. He wants to be able to state, that he did his best to defeat this bill, to his party and constituents. Forget the fact that at last count, there were 12 people shot, in Chicago since last Wednesday. ......

On T.V., he stated that "We don't want a bunch of drunk people, walking around with guns. Well, who in the he!! does. What he doesn't admit, is that the law is the same as drunk driving. Once you are over the legal limit, you CCW is void. Every day you hear about drunk drivers killing folks and there have been permits that have been taking away for this same reason. ...

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; July 8, 2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old July 8, 2013, 04:10 PM   #557
stormy36

Quote:
Forget the fact that at last count, there were 12 people shot, in Chicago since last Wednesday.

12 killed, 70+ shot.
Old July 8, 2013, 08:35 PM   #558
Webleymkv

Quote:
Like so many politicians, Quinn is just playing it safe. You will never know what is really in his heart as playing politics is more important to these folks. He wants to be able to state, that he did his best to defeat this bill, to his party and constituents.
Actually, I think he's gone beyond covering himself politically. The way I see it, Quinn could have simply signed the bill and told his constituents that the courts and legislature backed him into a corner and gave him no choice. It is obvious that even Chicago would rather have shall-issue than Constitutional carry.

Instead, I think that there are a couple of different things going on right now. First of all, I think Quinn wants to force Madigan's hand and make her appeal to SCOTUS. This way, if SCOTUS upholds the 7th's ruling (and they likely would) he can lay the blame on Madigan for not representing the state well enough (there seems to be a power struggle going on between Quinn and Madigan right now). Secondly, Quinn's position on the issue has been well known for a long time and even the majority of his own party defected and voted for a shall-issue CC bill. This has to be embarrassing to him and, quite frankly, I think that he wants to be obstinate about it because he's angry at the legislature.
Old July 9, 2013, 10:07 AM   #559
Luger_carbine

The politicians in Illinois really know how to create suspense.

They anti-gun Senators are making one more run at making the bill even more restrictive by using trailer bills. This is on the day that the CA7 stay of mandate expires.

Talk about 11th hour maneuvering!
Old July 9, 2013, 11:32 AM   #560
Herr Walther

Of course.

It's not about serving the majority or the 'will of the people'.

It's 'how can I make myself look good at the polls for the next election'

They don't give a crap about CCW in this state. They're just trying to keep their jobs.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old July 9, 2013, 11:34 AM   #561
Luger_carbine

I've heard that the Seventh has issued their mandate.
Old July 9, 2013, 11:59 AM   #562
maestro pistolero

Quote:
I've heard that the Seventh has issued their mandate.
That would be awesome. FIOD open carry parade through Chicago!!!!LOL.
Old July 9, 2013, 01:42 PM   #563
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
07/09/2013 78 Mandate issued with bill of costs in the amount of $834.30 & $931.90. No record to be returned. [78] [6498755] [12-1269, 12-1788]--[Edited 07/09/2013 by RS]--[Edited 07/09/2013 by RS] (RS)
On the costs, the first amount is for Moore and the second amount is for Sheppard.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 12-1269 Mandate Issued.pdf (102.9 KB, 14 views)
Old July 9, 2013, 02:26 PM   #564
Luger_carbine

It doesn't look like Moore is going to SCOTUS, both the Illinois House & Senate just over-rode the Governor's veto.

HB183 has become the law in Illinois - a shall issue CCW bill.
Old July 9, 2013, 02:27 PM   #565
maestro pistolero

Veto Overridden by the IL legislature.

http://news.yahoo.com/illinois-house...182937243.html

77-31 in favor of shall-issue.

Quote:
Democratic Governor Pat Quinn had objected to several provisions of the proposal and vetoed parts of the bill. The vote in the House was 77 to 31, which was more than enough to override his objections.
The proposal becomes law if three-fifths of the legislators in each chamber vote to override the governor.
The Illinois proposal says that the state police "shall issue" a permit to carry concealed guns to any applicant who passes a background check and takes 16 hours of required firearms training. The bill would ban guns in some public places such as bars, churches and schools.
Old July 9, 2013, 02:33 PM   #566
Jen-from-IL

Illinois Ban on Carry Ruled Unconstitutional (See Page 7)

While its not perfect, at least its something. Now the citizens of Illinois can join those in the other 49 states and carry concealed (well, in 9 months or so as the Illinois Sate Police will take every possible day to get everything finalized).
Old July 9, 2013, 02:43 PM   #567
ThesNazud

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see it drug out more than the 9 months due to processing and training... I see essentially the ISP getting it done and set up, instructors and all at the last moment to meet the court deadlines, THEN starts the process of taking your CC class, applying for the permit, background checks and sending them out. Best bet I see is first permit issued late 2014, early 2015.

It's a start, hopefully this will allow us to revisit the issue later on and get a more gun owner/practical amendment. It's a victory even though it isn't the best law...
Old July 9, 2013, 02:46 PM   #568
Jen-from-IL

Illinois Ban on Carry Ruled Unconstitutional (See Page 7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThesNazud View Post
I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see it drug out more than the 9 months due to processing and training... I see essentially the ISP getting it done and set up, instructors and all at the last moment to meet the court deadlines, THEN starts the process of taking your CC class, applying for the permit, background checks and sending them out. Best bet I see is first permit issued late 2014, early 2015.

It's a start, hopefully this will allow us to revisit the issue later on and get a more gun owner/practical amendment. It's a victory even though it isn't the best law...
I agree with you completely. I just was saying the ISP getting the final processes completed. The training and such, yep, many more months after that before a person is finally able to get the permit. $150 for the same background check that you pay $10 for when getting a FOID card. SCAM!!!!!! Plus the cost of required training.
Old July 9, 2013, 02:51 PM   #569
mrray13

It just passed the Senate as well. We have a ccw law.
Old July 9, 2013, 03:03 PM   #570
csmsss

Congrats to those of you in Illinois, and most particularly you long-suffering Chicagoans!
Old July 9, 2013, 03:20 PM   #571
raisitup

So how does the preemption thing work in Illinois? Will the law apply to Chicago (Cook County)?

Ryan
Old July 9, 2013, 03:44 PM   #572
stormy36

For a long time they were debating allowing the counties the ability to change the rules for themselves. That provision was dropped. I am guessing a lawyer will go through Chicago's existing ordinance, cross out the parts that are void because of the new state law, and that will be that. AFAIK, you will need a FOID, CCW, and CFP to carry in Chicago.

IMO, both the CFP and public transit CCW ban are unconstitutional, but we'll have to live with them for now.
Old July 9, 2013, 03:56 PM   #573
motorhead0922

From http://bigstory.ap.org/article/lawma...uinns-gun-bill

Quote:
The Illinois State Police would have six months to set up a system to start accepting applications. Spokeswoman Monique Bond said police expect 300,000 applications in the first year.
My brothers and sisters in Illinois, you may get a nice Christmas present this year.
2020: It's pronounced twenty twenty.
Old July 9, 2013, 04:28 PM   #574
rts99

Here Comes Da Judge! Here Comes Da Judge!

So now the only question is when will little Lisa go running to the SC pleading for a stay. Or will little Paddie boy run down to the SC behind her back? But you gotta know that the line in Vegas is 10:1 in favor of the petition. Its now just a matter of when...........

Stay Tuned. Here we go again.......
Old July 9, 2013, 04:31 PM   #575
mrray13

ISP is already backlogged on FOID applications, they'll use everyday of that 6 months to set this up. They'll be getting new/renew FOID apps during that time as well. I don't see any ccw permits till early-mid 2014.

But at least we have it. Now, about reciprocity with other states?