The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 11, 2012, 02:11 PM   #1
TailGator

Newest family member: Beretta PX4 Compact

My daughter just finished her bachelor's degree, and for a while she couldn't decide whether she wanted a strand of pearls or a pistol for a graduation present. Since this is The Firing Line, you can probably guess at her final decision.

After careful consideration and consultation with her dear old dad, she decided on a Beretta PX4 Compact in 9 mm. I picked it up for her earlier in the week, she came home last night, and we headed to the range on my lunch break today.

She picked well. That little pistol is nicely made, very accurate, and is among the softest shooting 9 mm pistol I have ever shot. At 10 yards, a shot outside the 8 ring was rare (and when a pistol performs that well, I take the blame for the occasional flyer on myself). Lots of targets had ruined centers after just one or two magazines. No failures in around 200 rounds of WWB. We were shooting my 92FS on the other lane, and if I had to say which one had the softer recoil, I would have to give a very slight edge to the PX4, which is saying something.

My daughter was grinning the whole time, which does a daddy's heart good. She and I are both very pleased with this pistol, and although our time with it has been short, I would have to say that it deserves consideration for folk who are looking for a mid-sized double-stack with a thumb safety. Neither of us can think of a bad thing to say about it so far.
Old May 11, 2012, 02:16 PM   #2
Trey45

Congrats! I have a subcompact PX4 9mm as well, I usually end up having to use the magazine with the little flip down finger rest to have a comfortable grip, but it's a great gun! Well over 1000 rounds through it thus far with very very few hiccups, and those were probably my fault. Your daughter chose well!

Congrats again, both for your daughters graduation of college, and the new Beretta.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.
Old May 11, 2012, 02:25 PM   #3
Pianoguy

Have to pretty much agree with everything you said. I've had one for about a year. Mine was a little stiff the first 50 rounds or so w/ some FTF but quickly loosened up and hasn't hiccuped since. Very soft shooter and never even seems to get dirty after shooting it. There are a lot of nice guns in this category but I have no craving to look at them anymore with as well as this Beretta has worked for me. It's got my 9mm semiauto niche covered.
Old May 11, 2012, 06:03 PM   #4
MLeake

My wife seems to like my PX4 Compact the best out of the autos in my collection; the subcompact, not so much. The rotary barrel really does seem to reduce perceived recoil.
Old May 11, 2012, 08:46 PM   #5
LockedBreech

Was just doing a canned-air blowout and a lubrication touch-up on my nightstand PX4 .40 fullsize.

For what it's worth I'm somewhere between 3,000 and 4,000 flawless with a large variety of ammo in a large variety of conditions. I stopped counting with much precision at 3k. Suffice it to say the PX4 is a well-engineered pistol. It shoots well and is reliable. The build quality of mine is notable.

It will give her a long and happy life of shooting.
Old May 12, 2012, 09:51 AM   #6
ClarkGriswald

Will have to agree with everything stated. Purchased the compact 9mm as my very first firearm. And have not once regretted it.
I have a but over 1k rounds thru mine with various brands of ammo. A few FTEs. The worst coming from Remingtons UMC MegaPack. Believe it's due to lower quality control standards.
Old May 13, 2012, 08:44 AM   #7
triplebike

Have had my Compact 9MM about 4 months now. It's been flawless, approaching 2000 rds. Now my favorite polymer handgun.
Old May 13, 2012, 09:09 PM   #8
nittany9

I also got the px4 from my parents when I finished my bachelor's degree a few years ago, although mine is the full size. It was my first pistol, and I love it. Great gun, and congratulations to you and your daughter.