The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 1, 2015, 11:21 AM   #1
manowar

Conversion Pistols in Massachusetts

Any pistoleros in Massachusetts who own converted pistols? How did you go about acquiring it/them, i.e.bought already converted or converted a pistol originally bought as a cap n' ball?
Old July 6, 2015, 02:03 AM   #2
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

I bought this EuroArms Remmie back in 1975. A bunch of years ago I sent it to Taylors and had them fit one of their six shot R&D 45 Colt conversion cylinders to it.

A few years later I came across a Stainless Uberti 1858 Remington at a gun show. It came with a similar R&D Conversion cylinder, so now I have two, one Stainless, one blue.
Old July 7, 2015, 11:08 AM   #3
manowar

And the photos show that it's a real beauty, Driftwood. Must be cool to have another (stainless).

Was Taylor's able to just send it back to you or did they have to send it to a local gun shop or someone with an FFL?
Old July 7, 2015, 03:36 PM   #4
Driftwood Johnson

Normally they would be able to send it directly back to me, but the package had to be signed for. So I had them send it to my local UPS place where I picked it up.

With that particular revolver and cylinder, there is no modification necessary to the C&B revolver, they fitted the new cylinder to the gun. So they put the C&B cylinder back into the gun, making it an 'antique' again and they put the new cylinder in a separate box in the same package.
Old July 7, 2015, 10:44 PM   #5
manowar

AH-So..Many Thanks for the clarification, Driftwood. I'm so, SO glad it's that easy.
Old July 8, 2015, 09:27 AM   #6
Rookie21

My understanding (and I may be wrong so any one feel free to correct me) is that the new cartridge cylinder is simply a part, not a gun. Parts can be bought and sent to ones door step with out breaking any laws.

I left a cylinder with a gunsmith once to be cleaned of burs in the chambers (previous owner dry fired the poor thing - rimfire) and I did not need to give a copy of my license nor did he need to log it in as possession of a firearm. He said it was just the cylinder, a part, not a gun. Not the serial numbered receiver/frame. That - the receiver with a serial number - seems to be the key.
Old July 8, 2015, 10:32 AM   #7
foolzrushn

driftwood's photos

In looking at Driftwood's photos of his conversions, there are some (one anyway) that is titled 'loading lever catch too large'. I don't understand.

Is there some change required for conversion compatibility? I was thinking the lever would be used only when the cap and ball cylinder was switched back in. What is too big about the latch? I missed it. Trying to learn.
FRN

certified 'soap welder'
Old July 8, 2015, 06:33 PM   #8
Driftwood Johnson

Are you looking at some old photos of mine?

When shooting cartridges, you have to poke the empties out of the cylinder with something, there is no ejector. With this type of conversion cylinder you have to remove the cylinder from the gun to load and unload the cylinder. The easiest way to pop out the empties is to unhook the loading lever and use it to poke out the empties. With my old EuroArms Remmie the 'ears' of the loading lever catch are too big to enter the chambers to pop out the empties. So I use a brass rod to pop out the empties instead.

Here is my brace of Remmies with their conversion cylinders. The Stainless one is made by Uberti. When I bought it it came with the conversion cylinder. The Uberti Remmie is slightly larger overall than the old EuroArms gun, but the latch on the loading lever is narrow enough to fit into the chambers to poke out empties.

Old July 8, 2015, 10:27 PM   #9
foolzrushn

Driftwood

Yeah, I followed the link in post #2 and then clicked the left arrow too many times. Got to one whose jpeg title was loading lever latch too large..with the latch stuck in the cylinder.

I have never used Photo bucket much and so I got off on some older photos. Guess they were interesting enough that I just kept going way past the relevant photo.

FRN

certified 'soap welder'
Old July 19, 2015, 12:11 AM   #10
drobs

When I was living in Illinois I bought a 44 Pietta 1858 Remington through the mail (internet) and a 45 Colt Kirst Cartridge Konverter. Both came direct to my door - no licensing required.

6 or 7 years later, I finally shot Black Powder (Pyrodex) and find that to be somewhat enjoyable.