The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 30, 2006, 01:56 PM   #1
roy reali

Hunting Habits

I know some guys that duck hunt. I mean that is all they hunt. If they could they could spend every waking hour in a duck blind during the season they would. I know of hunters that will pursue feathered game but not anything with fur. I know of fellows that will hunt anything that is legal. They could be in a field looking for pheasants one day and in the woods looking for deer the next day.

I hunt just about anything available around here. The only animals I haven't really concentrated on are predators. Not that I would not want to, I just haven't put that much time into it.

I would like to know your hunting habits. Do hunt one or two species of game? Do you hunt anything and everything?
Old December 30, 2006, 02:34 PM   #2
Jseime

P dogs, Jack Rabbits, Coyotes, Mule Deer, White tails, and i put in for moose this year but wasnt drawn

I also just bought a pump shotgun with a 3 inch camber so ill be out after geese, ducks and prairie chickens next fall
Old December 30, 2006, 03:29 PM   #3
ENC

I will hunt anything and everything.

I have wild game cookbook that has recipes for any north american game species, (racoon, opossum, muskrat, and even skunk). It actually claims that coot are some of the best tasting waterfowl to be found. Oh Yeah

Evan
Old December 30, 2006, 04:16 PM   #4
taylorce1

I hate to clean birds so I only hunt the clay type. I pretty much stick to animal with fur, preadators, varmints, rabbits, elk, deer, pronghorn, and hopefully moose in the near future. I have friends who love to shoot birds though, they say it is because they get to shoot more than a couple of times a day. I told them they should shoot prairie dogs if they want volume shooting.

I also have friends who only like to shoot paper. That is the pastime I just don't understand. Tight little groups and small holes in paper just are not the same as meat in the freezer, exploding varmints, and coyotes running in. Punching paper just doesn't have the excitment I like.
Old January 2, 2007, 06:15 PM   #5
FirstFreedom

It's all about dinnertime!

So I let taste be my guide, and to a lesser extent, meat-to-skinning-time ratio.
As a result, I find myself hunting deer, turkey, hogs, quail and pheasant more, but dove, ducks, geese, & squirrels very little. Will go on first elk hunt this year hopefully.

Varmints, only sporadically, but most of the killing results only in dead paper with the "varmint" rifles.
Old January 2, 2007, 06:24 PM   #6
Troponin

Deer
Squirrel
Crows
Coyote
Fox
Raccoon
Opossum
Skunk
Grouse
Bobcat
Dove
Starlings
Bear
Groundhog
Pheasant
English Sparrows

Guess it would have been easier to say what I don't hunt, which is geese, Turkey and Duck. Although, as many geese as I have seen this year, it may be something on my list for next year. I think one reason is because each game requires almost a totally different set of gear and gets expensive.

I have been really getting into predator hunting. It's a blast going out there and setting up, calling and constantly trying to stay ahead of the game.
Old January 2, 2007, 07:02 PM   #7
NRA4life

Mostly just big game now, purely from a time standpoint. I just don't have time to hunt everything I used to. I love turkey hunting but they are not real plentiful in WA quite yet. I used to hunt rabbits, hares, grouse, ducks, geese, squirrels just about everything we could find to shoot in Wisconsin. Even pigeons on my grandparents farm. I go through phases as far as the big game goes. I hunt whitetail every year in MO. I'm really starting to get into elk hunting now too, that's my main focus is to bag one of them. I love mule deer hunting as well. Going to start applying for sheep, moose and goat this year.
Old January 2, 2007, 07:27 PM   #8
publius

I hunt everything that is legal herre in MS. Duck hunting is my favorite, but I haven't been doing nearly as much of it as I used to. People are willing to pay such ridiculous prices for duck leases that many of my farmer friends have leased their land.
Old January 3, 2007, 01:12 PM   #9
Clayfish

I will hunt anything that is legal at least once. That being said, I hunt mostly deer and quail. I just don't have the time to hunt everything. I've hunted dove, turkey, hog, fox, bobcat, coyote, rabbit, squirell, and others but my main focus is deer and quail. I don't turkey hunt much because I'm fishing alot in the spring and I'm also shooting alot. I don't think the wife would be too keen on any other hunting seasons as she feels like a widow from fall to spring as it is.
Old January 3, 2007, 02:41 PM   #10
UniversalFrost

I hunt everything, but I prefer to hunt squirrels, rabbits, pheasants and doves, because they were the most plentiful and had the longest seasons where I grew up.

As far as big game I go for meat first, rack second. I have taken many a large doe over the chance for a smaller buck with a small rack in the same herd.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old January 6, 2007, 10:02 PM   #11
76-bronco-J

----I love hunting this that & the other,,,, but as of lately helping them with the hog problem around Rochester,TX. is at the top,,,,running around in a suburban with night vision then hooking off into the field to chase them shooting on the run may not be hunting to some ,,,,but damn it's fun & very necessary ,,,,seems almost illegal till' I realize the chief of police's son is the one driving ,,,,,,,,,,,last pic is out the back door of my buddy's place,, it's an old 6 acre pig farm he bought & move to from houston a few years ago
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new years eve dinner.JPG (85.9 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg handy hole in roof for west texas style hog eratication.JPG (23.7 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg out the back door.JPG (105.4 KB, 66 views)
Old January 6, 2007, 10:07 PM   #12
76-bronco-J

-----maxed pics last thread,,,,,,,,,,,few more treats--,,,last one's a pet now,,,,,,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speckled belly.JPG (64.5 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg woah dog's.JPG (105.5 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg petin' wild ferel hog caught young.JPG (69.9 KB, 68 views)
Old January 6, 2007, 10:59 PM   #13
Fat White Boy

Primary game: Wild hogs, Dove, Quail, Chukar
When the opportunity presents itself: Waterfowl, Deer, Antelope and I want to go for Elk one of these days...

Also, ground squirrels/prairie dog type critters...

Last edited by Fat White Boy; January 9, 2007 at 09:17 PM.
Old January 7, 2007, 05:38 AM   #14
Desertfox

Whitetail, Muleys, Elk, Ferrel Hogs, Dove and squirrel for eatin. Yotes and bobcats for fun.
No pheasents here. Quail are almost extinct here also or I would love to hunt more quail. MMMMMM!

No Ducks or Geese. Can't make them not taste like burnt liver. *Yecchh!*

Hey 76 Bronco, is that cotton tail hanging on a gambrel in that pic? (out the back door pic)
Old January 7, 2007, 07:11 PM   #15
auburnboattail

Hunt

Whitetail
Quail
Rabbit
Pheasant
Duck
Goose
Turkey
Squirrel
Racoon
Varmits(crow, groundhog, coyote)
Old January 8, 2007, 02:13 PM   #16
castnblast

I love to hunt most anything that taste good...So needles to say, I don't duck hunt. I don't care for grilled mud...Kinda taste like duck...

That being said, If anyone can come up w/ a duck recipe that taste great, I'd be willing to give it another shot...

I hunt doves opening weekend...only. Archery season for deer opens the following week, so doves are on the back burner...

A turkey that shows up during deer season gets shot at...

In Late december, early January, Late dove season opens. I hunt them after I get a couple deer. Quail also are game, and they taste great!, Along w/ any cotton tail that gets in the way.

Come spring, It's Turkey time! And hogs are always welcome during any part of the season...

I don't purposely predator hunt, but that may change this year. We have had an incredible coyote population boom, and I'm concerned it will affect the fawn/turkey crop this year...

BTW...when I'm not hunting, its fishing time!!! Summer has great fishing action down here on the Tx. Coast...

Last edited by castnblast; January 8, 2007 at 02:15 PM. Reason: after thought...
Old January 8, 2007, 03:54 PM   #17
Hans

Deer, Elk, Pronghorn, Turkey.
Without the 2nd Amendment, none of the others would exist.
Old January 17, 2007, 04:04 AM   #18
stuckon308

Just started this year and got ahold of chickens, duck, geese, and whitetail (in archery, muzzleloader, and high power). This year I'll be in school in city, so I'll probably have to cut down on the time out in the woods.
Old January 17, 2007, 11:13 AM   #19
castnblast

That stinks...but don't slouch on that education...It's a valuable asset that can never be taken away...
Old January 18, 2007, 04:42 PM   #20
Yellowfin

Deer and turkey mostly, duck on opportunity...and nearly anything else on that basis, and want to hunt antelope out west with relatives next season if I can.