The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 15, 2006, 02:13 PM   #1
cheddar

Leg holster

Hey guys, My question is about a leg holster. I just want something to use in the woods. What should I look out for on these? I have found an inexpensive one on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/UTG-MILITARY-DRO...QQcmdZViewItem

Thought this would be ok just for walking purposes!? Let me know what you think!

Thanks!
Old March 15, 2006, 03:09 PM   #2
HangFire83

I really like that one. I have been looking at http://www.highspeedgearinc.com They have a nice one as well. A bit more expensive though.

Jeff Cooper.
Old March 15, 2006, 03:10 PM   #3
HangFire83

Wait a second. My birthday is comming up here at the end of the month. Hmmmm. I wonder.....

Jeff Cooper.
Old March 16, 2006, 01:43 AM   #4
cheddar

The cheapest I saw on there is $80! The one on ebay is like $24. For something that will rarely be used, I'll just stick with the cheapo...
Old March 16, 2006, 11:24 AM   #5
HangFire83

I see your point. Just remember you get what you pay for.

Jeff Cooper.
Old March 16, 2006, 12:13 PM   #6
gunmoney

Please take no offense but if you are not looking for something of quality or a specific brand than there is no need to even ask your question. If it is all about price than simply choose the one that fits you budget.
Old March 16, 2006, 12:58 PM   #7
Edward429451

I have a couple of those type holsters and they are superb for walking. You do get what you pay for.
Old March 17, 2006, 01:39 AM   #8
cheddar

Quote:
Please take no offense but if you are not looking for something of quality or a specific brand than there is no need to even ask your question. If it is all about price than simply choose the one that fits you budget.
I do take offense to that. I asked if there is anything to look out for(not to get). I didnt ask for a superb quality holser for next to nothing. The reason I asked this way is, I want to know if there is a cheapo brand to DEFINATELY stay away from. I wanted to know if anyone had a bad experience with any particular brand. Why does someone always have to post something negative about the original poster on these boards?
Old March 17, 2006, 08:59 AM   #9
gunmoney

Cheddar, you are missing my point that is why I said take no offense because what I said is not a jab at you. Nylon gear is the same as anyhing else in the gun world. In other words your question would be like asking which BSA scope should I get or not get. Should I get wolf or grizzly ammo. At that price range there are no real brand names or options. Usually a no name company produces a cheap copy of someone elses product and put it out on the market. My point is there is nothing really to compare until you get ito a higher class of product where there are differences in design, fit, finish, pattern, comfort, etc. For 25 dollars, you get what you get. For the people who have experience with and use these products, they do pay the $75 and up and are not going to use, or have any experience with the type of holster you are asking. Again this is not a shot at you. Please understand my point, unless you are going to put some money into it there is really no difference, so buy what you like and are comfortable with and have fun with it.
Old March 17, 2006, 10:09 PM   #10
mar450lin

I saw the same one at a gun show recently for $20. I should have bought one but didn't. I see them advertised for alot more, so price paid is not always a good indicator of quality in my opinion. The nice thing about that particular holster is that it has a leg pad instead of two straps.
Old March 18, 2006, 12:42 AM   #11
5whiskey

some things are a good value

hey bro, I bought a cheap drop-leg holster and drop-leg m-16 mag pouch from saigon sams (scams) about a year ago. I paid about $30 for each of them, for a total of $60. Both of them have lasted me through a deployment to Iraq (and I don't lay around in camp fallujah like some, either), and are still servicable. Sometimes you find a good deal on decent gear. Don't get me wrong, I know mine isn't the best money can buy. I had to tape up one of the plastic buckles because it cracked and came unbuckled all the time, but other than that they have both worked fine.

I make do with that, whick my life depends on, just fine. It doesn't have to be hellstorm or blackhawk, you just have to know how to make it work for you. The only thing is I got to touch my gear and feel it before I bought it. You can't do that on ebay. Either way, I'm sure it'll work well enough for what you use it for.
Old March 18, 2006, 02:09 AM   #12
cheddar

Gun, sorry. I see your point.

Wheeler, Thanks for the input. I just which I could touch it as you stated.
Old March 18, 2006, 08:14 PM   #13
litework

I, personally, dislike leg holsters for walking around in the woods and much prefer waist holsters (or even shoulder holsters). There's a lot of motion in the leg which may cause the weapon to shift if you have a medium to large gun. Your weapon is also very exposed. I've accidently whacked my Glock 20's slide with the brass handle of a khukuri knife while clearing mountain laurel out of a shooting lane. It was secured in a G-Code thigh holster. I think leg holsters are great for the range and short trips because they're so easy to put on and take off; they're conveniently located. I still think there are better retention systems.
Old March 20, 2006, 08:48 AM   #14
gunmoney

Cheddar check out OPtactical.com. Go into the holster section and look at the bottom of the page. They have Blackhawk special operations holsters for about $45. They will hold just about anything and have a flap that completely encloses the pistol so it will be protected. They have mag pouch attacments for it if you want to spend a little more. Op has great service as well. I don't know if it is too much but you get a better product and it isn't all that expensive.