The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 12, 2013, 03:05 PM   #26
Deja vu

I have killed about 20-30 deer in my day and about 75% of them have been with a 357 magnum. Of those only 1 was with a handgun. It was about 7 or 8 years ago and I had been skunked so far that year. It was the second to last day of hunting season and I was tired from work. I got home and climbed in to my hot tub. Closest neighbors are about 2 miles away. So I just disrobed right there. After about 10 min I see a small 2 point (4 point for you eastern people) walking cautiously up to an oak tree in my yard about 25 yards from where I was. It was pretty close. It was probably looking for acorns. I was aware of me because it kept looking at me but it must of been really hungry for acorns.

Any way I try to sneak out of the tub and the deer spooks a little but does not run. So a feel around my pants (on the opposite side of the tub from the deer) and find my 640 I carry in my pocket. I got down low and used the side of the hot tub for a rest. 1 shot and the deer jumped straight up then ran about 10 feet and dropped.

My wife makes fun of me for "hunting naked like a savage" but it was a fun deer. It was not really big (for a mule deer) but it tasted good.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old November 21, 2013, 08:32 PM   #27
45long

"Any way I try to sneak out of the tub and the deer spooks a little but does not run. So a feel around my pants (on the opposite side of the tub from the deer) and find my 640 I carry in my pocket. I got down low and used the side of the hot tub for a rest. 1 shot and the deer jumped straight up then ran about 10 feet and dropped. "

Did you have on your hunter's Orange ?
Old November 22, 2013, 01:30 PM   #28
Deja vu

fortunately in Idaho it is only recommended you wear hunter orange.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old November 23, 2013, 05:48 PM   #29
SteelChickenShooter

A 357 Mag sure knocks down the steel plates with authority. And it packs quite a lot more punch compared to a 38 special. But in my case (just for me), I question it for my deer hunting. I took a deer with a 44Mag, and based on what I saw, I just can't imagine using anything less. As a matter of fact, I've been thinking about getting something with even more power. Something like the 454, 460's, 475 or 480's. Maybe a BFR. Something having one-third more or maybe about double the power of a 44Mag. I don't know how many of you ever fired a Brenneke, 12ga, Heavy Short Field Magnum slug through a thick target stand into a clay berm. But that thing really packs a whallop! I get the impression from the impact it would knock over a Mack truck! Maybe that's what I'm looking for in a handgun for my own deer hunting. Something a lot more hard hitting. But as stated in another related thread, I'm a bit of a novice regarding handgun deer. My expectations of the actual hit could be colored by watching too many Dirty Harry and Charles Bronson movies.

Last edited by SteelChickenShooter; November 23, 2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old November 23, 2013, 08:58 PM   #30
goalie

Re: .357 and hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelChickenShooter View Post
A 357 Mag sure knocks down the steel plates with authority. And it packs quite a lot more punch compared to a 38 special. But in my case (just for me), I question it for my deer hunting. I took a deer with a 44Mag, and based on what I saw, I just can't imagine using anything less. As a matter of fact, I've been thinking about getting something with even more power. Something like the 454, 460's, 475 or 480's. Maybe a BFR. Something having one-third more or maybe about double the power of a 44Mag. I don't know how many of you ever fired a Brenneke, 12ga, Heavy Short Field Magnum slug through a thick target stand into a clay berm. But that thing really packs a whallop! I get the impression from the impact it would knock over a Mack truck! Maybe that's what I'm looking for in a handgun for my own deer hunting. Something a lot more hard hitting. But as stated in another related thread, I'm a bit of a novice regarding handgun deer. My expectations of the actual hit could be colored by watching too many Dirty Harry and Charles Bronson movies.
What load were you shooting? 240g Hornady XTP's over a stout charge of W296 has worked well out of my 7.5" SuperBlackhawk.

Lotta blood, not a lotta tracking......