The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 31, 2008, 10:12 AM   #1
[email protected]

Citori xs special

I shoot trap and skeet and would like to try SC.
i have an 870 Wingmastr from 1955 and want to upgrade to a xs special. Any opinions on 30" vs 32" barrels and low rb vs High post rib models. Although I shoot trap more than half the time, I don't want a dedicated trap gun like the xt.
I can only afford 1 all around gun. Thanks
Old September 3, 2008, 07:24 PM   #2
zippy13

Compromise gun

Choices on barrel length and rib height and pretty personal. What works best me may not for you. You said you will shoot trap more than half the time. Do you mean singles (16-yard), handicap, trap doubles or all three? If you're not going to be doing any long handicap or pot shooting, you'll be fine with a shorter barrel. If skeet guns typically have 28" barrels, and SC around 30" and trap 32"+, what is best for an all around gun? By definition, an all-around gun is a compromise gun. For me...
• My 28" O/U skeet guns are perfect for skeet and some close clays. They have fixed skeet chokes that limit their flexibility.
• I have a 30" O/U (w/ screw-ins) that's okay for skeet (I'm 6-3) and SC and trap doubles, but I prefer my 28" O/U's for skeet.
• My 32" O/U (w/ screw-ins) is awkward at skeet, okay for trap singles and some SC shots and perfect for trap doubles.
• For trap singles and handicap, I use an O/ (w/ screw-in) single 34" barrel.

For an all around gun, IMHO, 30" barrels (with a variety of chokes) would be your best compromise. If you want a longer feeling gun for a specific event, you always have the option of using extended chokes:
Old September 4, 2008, 01:23 PM   #3
BigJimP

The XS Special is a nice gun.

My long term primary gun in the Citori lineup is the XS Skeet with 30" barrels for field shooting, Skeet and Sporting Clays - with the adjustable comb - which is a very similar gun. I have the XS Skeet models in 12, 20, 28 and .410 and they are great guns. ( 28ga and .410 are special order guns in that model ).

I think the XS Special is a few ounces heavier / and it has a satin finish as opposed to the hgh gloss finish on the XS Skeet model. The XS Spl is available in 30" or 32" barrels and with the standard rib - or the high post rib. The XS Skeet is available in 28" or 30" barrels. XS special comes with 5 external chokes so its set up for sporting clays pretty well - the XS Skeet only has 3 and they're flush chokes.

I think the XS Special is a very good all around gun, especially in 30" barrels - as to the rib option, I would probably go with the high post rib - but I don't know that either one is a bad option. I would decide the rib option on where you think you will have to set the comb, in terms of height, to get the gun to shoot properly for you. In my field, Skeet and Sporting Clays guns I like a gun that shoots a pretty flat pattern 50% high / 50% below - so depending on where you have to set the comb for yourself - especially if its pretty high, then you might want the high post rib to give you a little more potential height as an option. My hunch is, its less than 1/4" difference in the 2 guns on the rib option - and although that is quite a bit - you should be able to tell that by picking them both up - but I don't know that you can go wrong with either one. I find a 32" barrel O/U a little too clumsy on Skeet and Sporting Clays - and especially in the field. I like a 32" on a dedicated Trap gun like the XT - but not on my general purpose guns. I think you'll find the XS Special will be a good all around gun for you - and if you wanted, you could raise the point of impact a little and it will probably be just fine for Trap as well, if you want to float the bird above the rib - or just set the comb so it shoots 50/50 or even 60%/40% and just shoot Trap with it too. I do set the combs on my XT's at about 70%/30% - but my scores don't go down much even if I shoot the XS Skeet for Trap - besides the pattern being higher on most XT's - I also like an XT at about 10 to 10 1/2 lbs overall weight. I like that heavier gun for Trap with less barrel movement left and right ( but its like swinging a big sewer pipe with a club on the end of it in sporting clays - and I can do it - especially since I'm 6'5" and 275 lbs - but the XS Skeet or the XS Special, in my opinion, will be a lot more sucessful for you in those other uses in a 30" barrel.
Old September 4, 2008, 01:29 PM   #4
BigJimP

I like the Browning Extended chokes by the way / either the gold or the newer Diana series that comes with the XS Special now.

For chokes, I carry a plastic fishing lure box - with 2 Skeet, 2 Imp Cyclinder, 2 Modified, 1 Imp Mod , 1 Full. If you have other Brownings - down the road - these Invector Plus extended chokes will probably fit those guns too. Browning had the older Invector series ( little stubby ones about 1 1/2" long from mid 80's - 1990? / then Invector Plus came out - and you can get them flush mounted or external / I like the external.

Briley and others makes chokes that will fit as well. In case you don't know - most gun mfg's have different thread systems - so a Browning choke, from Briley or Browning, won't fit a Remington, Beretta, etc
Old September 4, 2008, 02:50 PM   #5
oneounceload

have a 30" XS Ultra in 20gauge - does anything I'm capable of on the skeet, S/C, or FITASC fields.....my GTI in 12 with 32" barrels will do the same - I'm 6'3 and have no problems swinging that 32" 8.5# from a low mount, (except for station 8)..

B-guns are good guns for the money
Old September 5, 2008, 01:53 AM   #6
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceounceload
... my GTI with 32" barrels will do the same ...except for station 8
BigJimP and I didn't say you can't shoot skeet with 32" barrels. He said clumsy and I said awkward. You admit that 32's and Station 8 don't mix well. My skeet is of two types: practice for registered targets and registered targets. I don't practice to blow holes in the sky, or want to squad with those who do. No way I'm going to mess with a gun that might cost me three targets/round at 8. Consequently, I can't recommend one to others.
Old September 5, 2008, 06:56 PM   #7
oneounceload

zippy - I meant shooting station 8 with a LOW gun - my GTI, when premounted for station 8, does a great job
Old September 7, 2008, 10:05 PM   #8
[email protected]

thanks for help

Thanks for all the help. I have shot an 30" XT for trap and liked the weight of the gun and the straighter stock, so the xs special with the high post rib seemed like a good all around gun choice. Just have to locate one that I can try. I have only used a 28" on skeet,so your 30" suggestion makes a lot of sense. Maybe the 32" would be too long.
Old September 8, 2008, 12:47 AM   #9
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
... I have shot an 30" XT for trap and liked the weight of the gun and the straighter stock, so the xs special with the high post rib seemed like a good all around gun choice. Just have to locate one that I can try. ...your 30" suggestion makes a lot of sense.
Sounds like you're on the right track. Let us know how it works out.
Good luck.
Old November 1, 2009, 03:17 PM   #10
lablover

I need an observation please.
I went looking at a Citori XS Skeet today, and was impressed. Gun store will sell it for 2399.00.
A friend said he had a XS special he was willing to part with for about 1900.00. He states it's in very good shape, (I'll see it tomorrow), has all the tubes, boxes, instructions, and estimates around 5k rounds thru it, maybe 5 years old. It has a hard box case, and adjustable recoil pad. Of course the gun is ported, and adjustable stock.
This sounds like a great deal. What do you experienced O/U buyers, owners, traders, think?
What should I be looking for for problems with this gun?
Any experienced advice will be appreciated.

THANKS!!
Old November 1, 2009, 09:21 PM   #11
zippy13

Greetings, lablover, and welcome aboard!

When you say "…has all the tubes,.." do you mean the screw-in choke tubes, or a set of sub-gauge tubes (Briley, Kolar…) for shooting 20, 28 and .410?

For a Citori, or other quality O/U, 5K rounds is just a little more than break-in.
With the adjustable stock and butt, fit shouldn't be an issue. With any used O/U, look for the typical problem signs (function, rust, dings) and, if possible, use a pattern board to verify regulation.

If you give your location, perhaps one of the members can give you an idea of used Citori prices in your area.
Old November 1, 2009, 09:46 PM   #12
lablover

Zippy13,

Tubes means the screw in chokes.
Im planning on getting Briley 20 ga tube set. Don't want the others.

What are typical function problems? What should I look for?
I expect a used gun to have, hopefully, just a few minor dings;that's realistic.
Old November 1, 2009, 11:11 PM   #13
zippy13

The most vexing problem with an O/U is the failure to fire the second barrel. This can be as simple as the result of congealed lubricants.
Broken firing pins and/or hammer springs are the most common O/U failures.
Other problems may involve: Failure to cock (worn or dirty sear contact); the failure of the safety or selector (if so equipped) to function properly; ejector (if so equipped) mis-timing or failure.
Check the breech face for uniform lock-up: If the gun doesn't lock-up squarely, there's serious problems or significant wear.
If the gun has screw-in chokes, check the barrels' threads for damage from rough handling.
Before you close the deal, look very carefully for hairline cracks in the butt stock and forend.
Old November 1, 2009, 11:35 PM   #14
oneounceload

Besides Zippy's excellent advice, I would add to check the lugs for any galling or inappropriate wear or gouging (from, for example, a piece of grit).
Old December 4, 2009, 10:26 PM   #15
brogan007

Little used Citori XS Skeet FOR SALE

Just found this forum & would like to let you guys know that my XS Skeet 12 gauge is for sale. Less than 5k shells fired.
It comes with Briley tubes to fire 20 gauge, adjustable stock, recoil reducing thing inside stock, HIVIZ fore sight.
Exaggerated right-hand palm swell. Adjustable Triple Trigger (gold) System.
30" ported bbls w/ Invector PLUS+ Choke System -
Original box. Soft padded carry bag. Cleaning kit.
Plus...the prettyist walnut stock you've seen. She's a beauty.
All in, $2,100 OBO I'm in Raleigh, NC.
[email protected]
Old December 4, 2009, 10:39 PM   #16
abuyalos

I shoot a 32" XT for all events. It's perfect for trap singles and doubles, obviously, and I have never struggled at skeet. I love the gun for sporting clays as well and shoot it regularly. The rib has never given me problems, nor has the barrel length. I have a 26" citori skeet that I shoot for skeet at times too, but I can shoot just as well if not better with the XT. I shoot on a university clays team and the way of the future is longer barrels and all around guns. 30 is probably your best bet.