The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 16, 2009, 07:56 AM   #1
Webleymkv

Impressed with firearms dialouge on TV

I happened to be flipping through the channels yesterday and NCIS was on. One character was discussing a murder that had been comitted with a .40S&W and said "it's sometimes called .40 Short & Wimpy but I don't know why." Mark Harmon's character replied "because it doesn't have the power of a 10mm auto cartridge." I was kind of impressed that the script writer was knowledgable enough to know that since I know some fairly experienced shooters who've never even heard of 10mm Auto. Anyone else seen anything firearms related on TV that was kind of impressive?
Old July 22, 2009, 12:09 PM   #2
JasonG

I find Ziva and Abbey pretty impressive on NCIS ! !
Seriously, I like the way they don't have to cock their hammers every time they "get serious".
All in all their weapon knowledge is very good.
"Bones, what killed him ?" "Acute lead poisoning Jim....." ST-TOS#61
Old July 23, 2009, 10:17 PM   #3
Sevens

I'm pretty sure that there is a technical advisor that is consulted on an array of firearm topics that gets the input that would have made that comment happen.

My wife likes that show, so I've been drawn in to it myself. I (like every other goof that frequents this website!) definitely spend most of my TV time picking apart anything where a firearm is involved, and I do think they do a fairly decent job.

The BIG problem I have with something firearm related they do on NCIS? (and they do it every single episode, or so it seems...) is that they'll be sitting around the office, discussing the case or whatever and a call comes in that they have to go out to a crime scene or wherever... and EVERY TIME, Tony opens a desk drawer and pulls out his sidearm, in it's holster, and gets ready to go to work.

I think that's crazy and it bothers me. Folks who are issued a duty weapon or required to wear a duty weapon do NOT just take it off in the middle of the work day and leave it loaded and holstered in a desk drawer. They put it on like they put on their clothes. They are wearing it before they flip the coffee maker on in the kitchen. They don't stuff it in a desk drawer at the office.
Old July 24, 2009, 07:55 PM   #4
Steamboatsig

I watch The First 48 religiously. I recall several of the homicide detectives reaching in their desk drawers and grab their handguns before leaving the office to do an investigation.

I am not saying that the practice is right or wrong, I am just saying that they do it in real life.

"Fingers off trigger, action open, and check barrel before even possibly pointing a gun [at] anyone"
Old July 24, 2009, 07:58 PM   #5
Steamboatsig

Oh, and detectives often remove their weapons when interviewing suspects.

"Fingers off trigger, action open, and check barrel before even possibly pointing a gun [at] anyone"
Old July 24, 2009, 08:11 PM   #6
lockedcj7

NCIS is a lot better than most shows. Of course, most of the story lines are BS and the offices are too plush, dedicated lab and M.E. etc.

I know it's not realistic, neither is 24 but I like them anyway.
Old July 25, 2009, 12:46 AM   #7
Hellbilly5000

NCIS is better then most about firearms related material.
Mark Harmon actully keeps his finger off the trigger when pointing a gun at someone

I know a number of cops that when at there desks there holster sits in a drawer until they go back out

and the girl who plays ziva is really hot (just had to toss that out there)
Old July 25, 2009, 10:08 AM   #8
JagFarlane

Yeah they're actually pretty good as far as discussing firearms. Actually the level of technical knowledge they put into the show is impressive compared to others. Not too long ago there was an article about Ducky, the actor that portrays him has done a ton of extra research into learning how to be much more accurate with his portrayal of a ME.

But it is nice to see that they keep to the spirit of how Mark Harmons character is supposed to be, a knowledgeable prior Marine Gunnery Sergeant sniper.
Old July 25, 2009, 10:17 AM   #9
Microgunner

What's an "NCIS"?
Old July 25, 2009, 06:28 PM   #10
telcomfaust

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/ncis/

http://www.ncis.navy.mil/
State of Connecticut Carry Permit
Old July 28, 2009, 12:52 PM   #11
Housezealot

I remeber watching "The Wire" and seeing a evidence picture with a silencer mounted on a revolver:barf:
also I think it was the same show were a kid was sticking a potato over the barrel ov a revolver using it as a silencer:barf: