The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 6, 2012, 10:42 AM   #1
stevej

A couple of old handguns

a friend has and knows very little about. If this is in the wrong place please move it. This one is a S&W breaktop and the bag it's in has 1 cartridge in it that has 38S&W on it, can't find any other markings on the gun. He calls it a lemon squeeze.
The other seems to be a Luger, has P38, AC42 and #5574K on 1 side and 3 very small marks on the other, the one in the middle looks like the eagle I have seen on Nazi poles but not sure, others too small to make out.

Was wondering if anyone could help.
Old November 6, 2012, 10:59 AM   #2
Jim Watson

You show a Smith & Wesson Safety Hammerless revolver, sometimes called the Lemonsqueezer because of the grip safety.
It appears to be a 4th model, made sometime 1898-1907 but might be a 5th model made after that period up til WW II.
The serial number is on the bottom of the butt and will show which.
If the serial number has been removed (you say "no other markings"), the gun is illegal to possess, but I doubt the BATF helicopters will arrive to confiscate a hundred year old revolver.

The right grip is actually off a Harrington and Richardson, not original to that S&W.

Caliber is .38 S&W which is not the same as .38 Special or .38 Colt.

The auto is a P38, as marked, which is no relation to a Luger except 9mm caliber and use by Germans. AC42 means made by Walther in 1942. The Germans were in fair shape at that time and the gun is likely of decent quality. 5574K is the serial number. The little stamps are proof and inspectors' marks.
Old November 6, 2012, 11:00 AM   #3
gak

The bottom, P38, is a Walther or Walther design. It's the "other" German/WWII pistol to the Luger.
Old November 6, 2012, 11:02 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

The first one may be a Smith & Wesson, but the grips are definitely from a Harrington and Richardson, so I question its pedigree without the information that should be stamped on the barrel rib.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 6, 2012, 11:30 AM   #5
stevej

Should have looked closer at the Revolver

It has a ser# 179576 and on the rib, very worn, best I can make out. Springfield Mas(next too worn) USA, April ? 1889 I think not too sure of the last 2 #'s in the year. Thanks for all the help. I will print this info for my friend and pass it on to him, no puter. If I'm remembering right he told me he gave $5 for the Walther in 1970. I think the guy wanted to buy a bottle of booze.
Old November 6, 2012, 11:34 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

OK, H&R was never in Springfield. S&W was, though, so it seems that it's an S&W.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 6, 2012, 01:07 PM   #7
Jim Watson

The S&W is indeed a 4th model made only 1898-1907, this one 1899 or later because the antique cutoff for that model is 119,000 at the end of 1898.

The P38 is worth more than $5.
About $495 more if in nice condition, which the picture is not good enough to tell.