The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 18, 2012, 09:09 AM   #1
jclayto

Help with a Pro 1000

I am helping a friend get his new to him used pro 1000 set up and running. I have never worked around the pro1000 so it's all new to me. We are having an issue that more often than not brass hangs in the size/decap die resulting in the platform coming loose from the ram arm on the down stroke. Nothing feels out of sorts as in the brass does not feel as if it is being forced into the decap die but on the down stroke we end up with the platform and brass stuck to the die while the arm moves freely. I am sure that the decap die is adjusted properly and we even backed it out so far that it was not depriming cases just to check. The dies are carbide lee dies but just for good measure we even tried tumbling and lubing the brass without any improvement.

Also, how is shell plate indexing adjusted on the 1000? I notice that the shell plate on this press sometimes does not fully line up with station one on the down stroke resulting in brass not inserting in the shell plate. What's odd, is this also happens on an empty shell plate and I can move the arm slowly and see that it stops just short on the down stroke but when I start the upstroke it snaps into alignment.

Any input is appreciated
Old June 18, 2012, 09:15 AM   #2
Scimmia

Quote:
We are having an issue that more often than not brass hangs in the size/decap die resulting in the platform coming loose from the ram arm on the down stroke
I'll ask the stupid question, did you tighten the bolt that tightens the ram to the carrier?

Quote:
Also, how is shell plate indexing adjusted on the 1000?
There's a phillips screw near the bottom of the carrier between stations 3 and 1.
Old June 18, 2012, 09:18 AM   #3
jmortimer

Many are sucessfully using the Lee Precision progressive presses but they are willing to "tinker" with them. If you do some research on the web you will find some very specific and useful information. I believe there are a few good threads on this site. In the right hands, they are a great value but you have to be willing to make them work. Also, I would contact Lee Precision for additional advice.
Old June 18, 2012, 09:31 AM   #4
BDS-THR

There's an allen hex head bolt on the right side of the shell plate carrier. Loosen with an allen wrench and push down on the shell plate then tighten the bolt. BE SURE the shell plate is pushed down all the way on top of the ram or you'll crack the shell plate body.

Lee Precision video on installing shell plate carrier - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2HGo...feature=relmfu

Shell plate timing is adjusted using the phillips screw on the left side of the shell plate. Shell plate should click into station as the shell plate carrier almost approaches the base. Turn the phillips screw clockwise to rotate the shell plate.

Lee Precision video on how to adjust the shell plate timing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8tfT...feature=relmfu
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1K.jpg (24.8 KB, 47 views)
Old June 18, 2012, 09:32 AM   #5
jclayto

I tightened the black hex screw that sits perpendicular to the plate. I assume this is the screw that tightens the platform to the ram?

I understand about Lee and tinkering. I made the switch to Dillon xl650 years ago from a Lee Turret that never ran right. But, in Lee's defense I still have to tinker with my Dillon periodically but not nearly as much, as often, or as in depth.

Unless Lee CS has gotten better over the years calling them is worthless.
Old June 18, 2012, 09:34 AM   #6
jclayto

Thanks BDS, I posted my last reply before seeing your response. Very helpful, thanks!
Old June 18, 2012, 09:39 AM   #7
BDS-THR

jclayto, I think primer misfeeding is the number one issue most Pro 1000 users experience frustration with. This thread offers solutions for more reliable primer feeding and Pro 1K operation - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...44#post7877744

How to capture 99.9% of pesky spent primers on Pro 1K - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...61#post7884861
Old June 18, 2012, 10:16 AM   #8
jclayto

Thank you sir. I had already advised him based on my experience with the press mounted priming system that he may want to consider hand priming. He's setting up a challenger press for .338 lapua and it came with the hand primer so he has backup if the press mount prime doesn't work.