The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 13, 2009, 09:08 AM   #1
signal4l

Leupold VX-1 1-4x20

I have a Winchester Super X3 slug gun in need of an optic. The gun has a canteliever weaver rail.

I am considering the above optic with Weaver low PRW rings. I am open to other suggestions. I am setting this up for my father. He wants a magnified optic. I dont want to "overscope" the weapon with something in the 3-9 range. He will be using the gun for shots up to 150 yards on whitetail.

Is the VX II worth the extra money? Should I consider any other brands?

Thanks
Old December 13, 2009, 10:35 AM   #2
rbernie

That's an excellent choice - you don't need a lot of magnification nor a big honkin' objective lens. You need a stout scope that mounts low, and you picked it.

I have been round and round with optics over the years. For me, optics performance must be measured in three areas: glass performance, body/mechanical integrity (including finish), and warranty. It has been my experience that for any given price point under a grand, Leupold excels in the latter two categories and holds their own in the first. My knock-about field rifles carry VXI scopes.

You could pay more and get the VXII; for the extra coin, you'd be gaining slightly better optical coatings and click adjusters. I don't think that those features are worth the extra cost for your stated application.
Old December 13, 2009, 10:37 AM   #3
bejay

I would go with a larger objective granted you dont need a higher power scope but you can always turn it down would probably choose the 2-7 by 33 or the 3-9 by 40 of the leupolds shotgun scopes over the one your looking at just to get the larger objective.
Old December 13, 2009, 11:51 AM   #4
signal4l

Thank You for the replies. I believe I will place the order.
Old December 13, 2009, 11:59 AM   #5
fisherman66

I have a Bushnell Banner 1-4x32 muzzle loader scope on one rifle that needs extra eye-relief due to the mount system. There are two flavors....one with a little over 4" of ER and one with 6" of ER. They do not have the greatest optics, but it's adequate and the price is impossible to beat. It has a circle-plex reticle. It has proven to be robust, and the larger objective somewhat compensates for the lack of fully/multi coated lenses. I can still fit it in low rings. I am a fan of Leupold, but I have not used any VX-I models.