The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 4, 2008, 09:46 PM   #1
Dmanbass

What do you do with these?

I am considering getting the Brownells Colt SAA Stoning Kit that consists of three stones that they say is for smoothing out the casting marks often found on the innards.

My question is "what do you do with the stones?" They look long and square and I can't see how they would smooth anything in the "innards". Anyone here use them at all? Did they help smooth the action much? I am wondering if they are worth the expense.

There is an instruction link on Brownells site but I couldn't get it to open or work for me for some reason so I am asking here.
Thanks in advance.
Old March 4, 2008, 09:49 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Suggest you go to a NRA gunsmithing school. They offer excellent instruction on how to inspect a firearm, do a detail diassembly of it, how to service it including doing a trigger job and reassemble it. Best of all, it'll work when you're done doing everything! I've taken many classes from them (at Lassen College) and the instruction has consistently been terrific. It'll give you a strong foundation when you start ripping the guns apart to make them work better.

There's a difference between a gun-plumber and a gunsmith. Start on the path to the latter. With classes and practice, you can become an expert in some particular arm.
Old March 4, 2008, 11:24 PM   #3
mykeal

I use those stones on my revolvers.

I 'stone' every new acquisition to remove burrs and smooth up the action. When I get a new gun I usually put 50-100 shots through it to get the parts started 'wearing in'. Once it starts feeling smoother I completely disassemble and polish every surface and contact point where two parts come together using the stones. Of particular interest in every gun is the channel the hand moves in, the end of the hand itself, the part of the hand spring that bears against the channel wall, the bolt surfaces that engage the cylinder notches, the edges and bearing surfaces of the trigger/bolt spring, the bearing surface of the hammer cam, the trigger sear, the half and full cock notches on the hammer (be very careful with these notches and the sear). What else? Can't recall right now, but essentially anyplace that bears against another place with either in motion.

When I have to replace parts I first fit the new parts and then polish them to ease in the wear pattern. Usually the new parts start out working just as smooth as the parts they replaced. Saves breaking in a new gun with just one part.

The three stones each have surfaces that fit nicely in certain places on the Colt single action parts and surfaces. It's something you just have to try out to see.

Last edited by mykeal; March 4, 2008 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Spelling. Or is it speling?
Old March 5, 2008, 06:56 AM   #4
Hawg

Be very careful with those stones. It's easy to take too much off if you've never used them before.
Old March 5, 2008, 08:01 AM   #5
biermkr

here is the instructions in pdf.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hand Slot Stoning Kit.pdf (62.0 KB, 56 views)
Old March 5, 2008, 10:08 AM   #6
grymster2007

The stones are meant to be used on the disassembled parts and as Hawg said, it's really is easy to take too much off. Start very slow, with smooth strokes made in one direction.

I’m shocked. Didn’t think it was legal to teach gunsmithing classes in a CA community college! Surprised the idiots in Sacramento don’t cut off some funding or something!

It’s a small world Gary; one of my brothers attended Lassen College, must have been in the late 80’s. Beautiful country up that way and I’ll be spending more time there when I retire.

Last edited by grymster2007; March 5, 2008 at 02:23 PM.
Old March 5, 2008, 02:04 PM   #7
CraigC

I use this stoning kit on all my single actions when I get them. The square stone is used primarily for smoothing off the inner parts of the lockwork. Knock off all the burrs and smooth out the flat areas where two parts rub each other. The flat brown stone is used for smoothing out the channels in the frame. Mainly the channel the hand rides in. This can be quite rough. The flat white stone is for the finish polish. If you take your time and are careful not to take too much off, you can really slick up a sixgun in just a couple hours. The flat stones don't work for all guns but they work perfectly for the Colt Single Action Army and its replicas.
Old March 5, 2008, 04:12 PM   #8
Dmanbass

Thank you one and all for the tips and great advice. After reading your comments I think the stones are worth the price. I am also looking into a gunsmithing class near me. Thanks again people. And thank you for the PDA doc also.
Old March 6, 2008, 08:14 AM   #9
biermkr

Your welcome, I also am contemplating buying the stones, that is why I had the file . Easy enough to share.