The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 5, 2006, 07:29 PM   #76
mec

the 375s are a bit loose in the uberti 36s- at least some of them. Bates Pocket Navy and 58 remington seem to like them just fine. My 61 Navy will let some of the hornady balls fall part way into the chamber. Shoving them down smartly on a full column of powder forms them to the chamber walls very nicely though. Even so, I try to use 380s with that gun.

Kind of the same thing with the .44s. Piettas usually do very well with .451" while some of the Ubertis like them too while others tend to have ball creep with anything less than .454"
Old January 5, 2006, 08:59 PM   #77
Old Dragoon

OOPS! I mis-informed earlier.
My BP cylinders do not equal the grooves. However, that said all three cylinders , as close as I can measure with my dial calipers, are. .445-.446, chamber to chamber, cylinder to cylinder. My Pietta's like the .451 balls. The obstuation (sic) must be just what the guns like.

My conversion cylinder chambers are .451-452. so the 44 colt cartridge cases will load, that is also the Dia of the drive bands on the 44 Rem Bullets. That is what matches the grooves.
Sorry for the mis info.
Old January 5, 2006, 11:28 PM   #78
oldwheat

......I sincerely wish that the manufactures would take the extra time & effort to install the proper safety pins between the chambers on the Colt's Navy clones! ..............
Old January 6, 2006, 12:36 AM   #79
gmatov

Old Dragoon,

So's not to wake a month old thread "Shooting My ' 58's", the '58 "parts gun" came in today. If you remember from the pics on the auction site, the rammer catch was gone, too.

Question for you is, when you cut the catch out of your barrel on the one with high spots in the bore, did you note how it was installed? Reason I ask is that the hole in my barrel, a BU Pietta ( Damn, I can't find the date chart in my bookmarks), the hole is just about .045 deep. I thought at first it was broken off, got a glass and a scraper, cleaned up the bottom, and it's just a flat bottomed hole just that deep. Couldn't have been the cause of the lumps in your barrel. I guess the sight is the same, a flat end mill .045 or so deep. Hole is, I think, .260 diameter.

I don't even think it is soft or hard soldered in, think it might be epoxied, as a small screwdriver scraped the residue out of the hole.

The gun doesn't look too bad, now, a little drawfiling got most of the tooth marks out, dumbass got a couple bites on it, frame to 3 1/2 inches from it.. Couple vise toothmarks on the frame under the barrel, not too noticable, might leave them alone, still blue.

Don't know if I am gonna take the bite marks all the way out of live with them. Measures .700 minus a couple across the flats, back and front, have to take off all the lettering to get down to .6875, for 11/16. Probably use a rope wrench to get it back on. Don't want to ding the flats, again.

BTW, if you want an accurate chamber measurement, why don't you seat a couple balls with the rammer, drive them out through the nipple holes with an 1/8 inch rod, and measure them? Closer than trying to get the inside caliper perfect. Find out the size AND if they are round.

Blue this one, maybe give it to my shootin' son in law, have someone to shoot BP with.

As an aside, I don't know how many of you shoot modern, was at my garage today, mentioned I got a new BP revolver, guy said Hey, my b'in law needs money, got a .44 Mag, Smith 29-2, 6 inch nickle plate, 350, offered 300. Always liked Smith 29's. Rather have an 8 3/8, but would put up with it.

Whatta you think?

Cheers,

George
Old January 6, 2006, 01:39 AM   #80
Wayner

measure balls

Hey GMATOV, if you drive the balls that are seated in the chambers out the nipple holes wouldn't that size the balls a little small? Just kiddin. It would be a little more accurate measuring a ball sized by the chamber.Anywhooo, maybe it has become apparant that if the chambers are not much smaller than .003 under grooves then accuracy is probably gonna be alright. I think the 36's like it with chambers .003 under barrel grooves maybe better than chambers equal. Have to test that. Guess I'll have to do some more shootin. Darn. George, That ain't a bad deal on a Smith. Smiths are good.
Old January 6, 2006, 06:33 AM   #81
Remington kid

OldWheat, This is my first Navy .36 and it does have the pins that stick out between the nipples and a hole in the hammer for them to fit in. Once the hammer is down on the little pin there is no way the cylinder will turn or end up on a nipple or cap.
Like I said , this is my first Navy and it is a 2005 Pietta. Maybe they just started doing it right unless I'm misunderstanding you?? At my age and with my mind that's a good possiabilty
Old January 6, 2006, 09:16 AM   #82
mec

my mystery navy with grips shaped like pietta but with no markings at all is several years old and has no safety pins but it does have the hammer cut to engage them.

Good, tight 29-2s have been getting hard to find. The price is fine for one that hasn't been shot loose or out of whack. I have what was an unfired 8 3/8" and my maximum loads are keith type bullets at 1000-1100 fps.
I have a 4" that had early carry-up timing issues and had the factory put it back in goods shape- same maximum for it though I prefer to use .44 specials in it.

Old January 6, 2006, 11:22 AM   #83
Old Dragoon

George,
My dates page just goes to 2003 but, 2003 it is BT I'm guessing that your gun is a 2004, 2005 is BZ. the Gunslinger is a 2005

You are correct, the frontsight and the rammer stop should be to that depth. Now that i think about it, my gun had a mark on the top of the sight, a slight flattened spot but no mar to the finish. ????. I do not truely know if it happened in the factory or not but there were NO marks on the gun at all, Something happened for sure because the indentations were the same shape of the sight and the rammer stop. I silver soldered the new sight and the old rammer stop back on.

You are correct on the dimemsions. Those are the same I got also. I used a 19/64 drill bit to start the hole and a flat cutter to clean up my holes. I don't have a machine shop so I have to do it the old way.

Mec,
I sure miss my 29-2 I believe it was a -2 it had a recessed and pinned bbl. in stainless Rang many a gong with it. Or is that a 629-2?? I cannot remember the designation for stainless. but it sure was a sweet shooting pistol, Had a scope and it had the 8 3/8" BBL.
Old January 6, 2006, 01:00 PM   #84
mec

It was a 629-something and I would purely love to have a pinned and recessed one of those.
Old January 6, 2006, 01:41 PM   #85
gmatov

Old Dragoon,

That flat spot might be from the heater they probably use to solder the sight in. Induction heat with high frequency. Instant heat in just that spot, almost instant cooldown, because all the rest or the barrel mass carries away the heat. Just seconds to install the piece instead of a minute or so with a torch.

I'm pondering whether to install adjustable sights on this one. Have to see what I can find in a nice, low, rear sight, don't want to have an inch high front sight.

Wayner,

Take more than an 1/8 inch brass rod to drive it out the nipple hole, wouldn't it? I reread that just a little while ago, said to myself, "I shoulda changed that."

For anybody that mis-interprets this, I meant to drive the brass rod thru the nipple hole, like you'd drive out a ball from a chamber you forgot to charge. I really doubt there are many, if any, who don't know what I mean.

Cheers,

George
Old January 6, 2006, 03:00 PM   #86
Old Dragoon

OK I gots this ball driven out the nipple hole and it's very little dia and REEEEAAAALLLLY LONG! ......RROFLMAO!!

I knew what you meant. Sorta like; " I know you think you understand what you thought you heard me say, but what you thought you heard me say, isn't what I meant"

MEC,
Yep I think it was a -1 come to think of it. I do remember that it was recessed and pinned, that's what brought the big bucks when I sold it.
Old January 6, 2006, 03:41 PM   #87
Low Key

Quote:
OK I gots this ball driven out the nipple hole and it's very little dia and REEEEAAAALLLLY LONG! ......RROFLMAO!!
LMAO!!! That's a good one!
Old January 6, 2006, 04:35 PM   #88
gmatov

Soon as I read what I wrote last night, when I got up this AM, I knew I was in for it.

Innyhoo, what did they measure, if you did drift them out the chamber MOUTH? Is it a little aesier to get a good measurement? I haven't done it myself, yet, on either the old one or the new (to me ) one. Got some rust to remove in the barrel, the hammer groove in the frame, the chambers, nipple recesses, not much, not really abused except for the pipe wrench barrel puller. Dumb***!!!

Done some more polishing, don't think I will be able to get all the teeth marks out. After drawfiling and polishing, some are still 5 thou or more deep. For the price, I think I can live with it this way. Not like I bought it new in box.

Gone to Harbor Freight store, right now, forgot to buy the hollow punches I mentioned some time back. 3 bucks for 9 piece set, 1/8 to 1/2, punch all day, they just pop out of the hole in the side of the punch.

Cheers,

George
Old January 6, 2006, 04:56 PM   #89
Old Dragoon

I was just funnin' ya George I haven't done the deed yet either. Just too funny a thought to pass on though. See how my mind works.

Hey I saw some punches yesterday that one can use for making wads, hollow, is that what you are talking about?but they were too expensivwe for me yesterday. I'll take my calipers with me tomorrow and see if i can get a 44 wad from one of them and maybe a .36 too.... for that .36 51 Navy that's on the list.
Old January 6, 2006, 05:07 PM   #90
oldwheat

[quote] OldWheat, This is my first Navy .36 and it does have the pins that stick out between the nipples and a hole in the hammer for them to fit in. Once the hammer is down on the little pin there is no way the cylinder will turn or end up on a nipple or cap.
Like I said , this is my first Navy and it is a 2005 Pietta. Maybe they just started doing it right unless I'm misunderstanding you?? At my age and with my mind that's a good possiabilty [quote]

.......Good to hear, guess I'll have to find someone that sells Pietta cylinders with the pins & pick up a couple....My Pietta 1851 is a little older & the pins are conspicious by their absence .............
Old January 6, 2006, 05:19 PM   #91
Remington kid

Old Wheat, Cabelas sells the extra cylinders for the Pietta 51. I believe they are around $33.00 or somewhere in that area. I bought an extra one for mine from them.
Old January 6, 2006, 05:29 PM   #92
Remington kid

George, the punches you are talking about are great! I had a set laying around here for years and when Kevin was looking for a wad punch for his new .31 I sent him one of the punches that was perfect for that caliber.
by the way...just how do you get a ball through that little nipple hole. I have been looking at them all day and there is just no way I could do it. You must be a genius!! Or you have one "BIG" hammer
Old January 6, 2006, 11:54 PM   #93
gmatov

Mike,

Ask Old Dragoon. He done it, but he got a ridiculous reading, "Real skinny and way long."
Way under groove diameter, too. Probably miked about .190.

I'm gonna try to attach a nearly unviewable picture, scanned from Harbor Freight's flyer, probably saved at too low quality compression, 9 piece set, 3/32 to 1/2 inch. Has 5/16, which is .312, good for .31, 3/8, .375, good for .36, and 7/16 and 1/2, .437 and .5, either of which would work for .44.

3 bucks the set, bought 2 tonight, limited lifetime warranty. Got a store 15 miles away, anything that cheap breaks, can take it back, get new. Wouldn't pay to send a pound of steel to California for a 3 buck replacement.

I don't know where you are in relation to Glen Burnie, Laurel or Parkville Maryland. There are stores at those places.

Here's the ad pic:

And here's the url for the catalog item, but 6 bucks plus shipping. I'll take a set to the PO tomorrow or Monday, see what it would cost to ship by ground. 2.99 and 21 cents tax, 3.20 cost, if I can mail for less than 2.80, let me know if you want one. As far as I can make out from their shipping chart, order under 15 bucks is 6.99 shipping. Plus the site has them for 5.99, my store says 2.99 and tax. Whatever, you want a set, 3.20 plus the actual postage, and maybe a shipping envelope, but I think they're pretty cheap at the office supply stores. I'll post either tomorrow or Monday what the shipping would be. If it doesn't come out to too much more than the 6 bucks listed at the site, not counting shipping from them, I'll ship them to you if you like. Pay when you get them. I think I would sooner trust 10 or 20 guys to send me 6 bucks or so than for 10 or 20 to trust one to send them after their checks clear.

Innyhoo, here's the url: http://order.harborfreight.com/EasyA...ht/results.jsp

Cheers,

George

PS, I don't know if you been readin', but the S&W 29-2 I was talkin' about, I offered 300, the guy says 325, so 350 with FFL transfer. Think I will buy it. I know his b'in-laws know he is hurtin', don't wanna take too much advantage of him. Always liked the 29, at least for 40 years, ain't too keen on my 10 1/2 inch stainless Super B, paid 200 for it, only shot it mebbe a dozen times.

Mike,

The pics you posted a while back, cuttin' wads, you're gonna have to start staggerin' those cuts, get 'em closer together, you're leavin' almost enough between the holes to cut a 36 wad, 'bout 40% scrap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hollow Punch Set.jpg (26.2 KB, 32 views)
Old January 7, 2006, 12:06 AM   #94
gmatov

After that page and a half post, little embarrased to post again on the same subject.

If you click on the link and get to Harbor Freight, go to the left of the page for Store Locater. 30 or 31 in California, 1 in Charleston, WV, they're all over the place. You might be able to get to 1, buy a flex shaft tool, like a Moto-Tool, but 3 or so foot shaft, or anything to make the trip worthwhile. They sell more [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color], 90% Chinese, but who doesn't, than you can shake a stick at.

If there ain't 1 within 1/2 a tank of gas of you, and you still want a set, I'll still offer to send you a set, at cost.

Cheers,

George
Old January 7, 2006, 12:09 AM   #95
Old Dragoon

Them's the ones likeI saw in a local hardware store for $9.00 each for the biggest one, not a set...what a rip off. I'll be at Harbor Freight when they open in the morning and buy a couple sets or three. If Mike can't find them I'll send him a set.

I trying Mikes lube in the morning when I load my BP cylinders to go to the range

Old January 7, 2006, 12:44 AM   #96
gmatov

Old Dragoon,

Republic of California don't tell me much, like where you are, so couldn't say go 20 miles north and get to HF store. Look the joint over while you are there. My local closes at 7 PM, half an hour after I got there, had to scamper to get what else I wanted. Spend too much when I do go. Like the stainless steel brushes for cleanin' threads, and the brass for blued parts. 2 for a buck, 3 packs, this week, nylon for the third brush

What the hell, it's only money, don't wanna leave the kids too much, they'll get spoiled.

If Mike wasn't 200 miles away, I'd go see if he could teach me to shoot. Mebbe even take him a couple cans of 3f Goex as an ice breaker ( he'd have to pay for it, ain't givin' nobody but my kids 25, 30 buck gifts )

Cheers,

George

Man, what we can't tell each other on this internet, huh? You can get it cheaper here!
Old January 7, 2006, 01:35 AM   #97
Smokin_Gun

Old Dragoon See Ya in The AM

I'll be at the gate at 10AM .

And George you ain't suppose to try pushin yur balls thru the nipple holes...HeHe!

SG
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old January 7, 2006, 01:44 AM   #98
Old Dragoon

George,
I'm about 10-15 miles from a Harbor Frieght store in Lancaster Ca. I'm 60 miles northeast of Los Angeles in the high Mojave Desert nestled in the Angeles National Forest. Smoking_Gun lives about 10 miles from me. I'm in Acton, Ca.....and I spend too much money there too.

SG,
Yeah, I'll wait till we're done shooting to go to Harbor Frieght. I know they moved from Sierra Highway to the outlet center I think.

I have an idea to find felt for wads...Thrift stores and buy old beat up felt cowboy hats most of them are fur felt, at least the better name ones are. Just punch holes all over it. Should work great and you can buy them for a buck or less most times.
Old January 7, 2006, 01:46 AM   #99
MPP1423

hey mike,
your right about the .31 wad it works great!

mec,
where can i get your book?i cant find it anywhere!
Old January 7, 2006, 02:40 AM   #100
gmatov

Smoke,

Where the hell you been? You ignorin' us? You're # 5 or 6 or 7 tellin' me it's tough to push the ball through the nipple hole. I think a couple have tried, and come to ask " How'n a hell do you do that, and what does that prove?"

I'm kiddin', you and Mike and Old Dragoon and Wayner and .... I don't know, mebbe the rest aren't catcin'n on, mebbe they ARE tryin' to figure out how to squish the ball out of that little hole, then they're gonna want to know what the hell that all means.

[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color], what have I did?

How about if you or Mec or Wayner or Mike post a note that you seat a ball, with the rammer, pull the nipple, and use a brass rod to drive the ball out and mike it. You not only see if the chamber is X diameter, but you also learn if it is a truely round chamber. Now you know which ball to use. If it will shave a .451 ball, it is fine, if you use a .454 ball, heavier and a greater shave,, so more friction, so morer chamber pressure, mebbe more velocity, even though heavier ball. Inertia means it won't move till the pressure makes it move, then it goes like hell.

Cheers,

George

Off to bed, now, gotta get up to make Christmas dinner for my kids. Today is my Orthodox Christmas, my religious holiday. Dec. 25 is for the Catholic members of my family.

Mir Bozic, Hristos je rojon, means Merry Christmas, Christ is Born.

Merry Christmas to you all.