The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 30, 2005, 06:23 PM   #1
Zachary Vonler

Austin gun show prohibiting CHL?

I went to the gun show in Austin weekend before last, and they had a 30.06 sign posted at the entrance. [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]? I recently moved back to Texas, and don't remember them having a sign when I used to live here. Anyone know when they started?

The company that holds the show is http://saxetshows.com/. I wrote them a message informing them that I will not attend their shows as long as they require law abiding citizens to disarm themselves before entering.

Later,
Zach
Old November 30, 2005, 06:40 PM   #2
craigntx

you can have the gun, just no ammo.
too many accidental discharges at shows
(just keep the clip n the car nobodies gonna jack you at a texas show!)
Old November 30, 2005, 06:43 PM   #3
Sulaco2

The WAC (Washington Arms Collectors) in WA has the same rule even for police not on duty in the jurisdiction of the show, I DO NOT like it but it is a private club that can vote its own rules. This one is insurance driven like most. :barf:
Old November 30, 2005, 07:08 PM   #4
mohutley

Loaded

Does that apply to concealed carry weapons? I'm guessing not, but I wouldn't be too surprised if it did.
Old November 30, 2005, 07:18 PM   #5
mohutley

yes

I'm answering my own question, now that I re-read the first posting.
Old November 30, 2005, 08:02 PM   #6
craigntx

chl laws

in texas that is the only SIGN a chl holder must abide by.
not a cartoon gun with x thru, not a "no guns", etc.
also no packin in bars, courthouses or govt buildings, churches (if i remember correctly)
any establishment that makes , %50 of their $ from alcohol sales.
theres lots other places...
Old November 30, 2005, 08:20 PM   #7
ozzy1038

Same thing in Iowa. At first it upset me but the odds of you needing it at a gunshow IMO is slim to none. There are usually about 10 deputy sheriffs there and I'm sure the vendors are packing. Plus I can see that if someone decided to see what they could get for their carry piece, unloading it with a lot of people around could be interesting. Might be hard not to sweep somebody.
Old November 30, 2005, 08:21 PM   #8
smince

NEVER been to a gunshow anywhere in AL, TN or GA that allowed loaded weapons.

Of course, nothing (that I know of) says you can't have a loaded mag in your pocket...
Old November 30, 2005, 09:07 PM   #9
craigntx

( i know this is off topic) hell in 'bama you can marry a 14 year old (or is it 15?
Old November 30, 2005, 09:33 PM   #10
USP45usp

Same here in Oregon. You can have it, just not loaded.

Insurance thing.

You can just walk through and keep it active if you wish but if you don't have a tie strip through the action (they see it, find out) then you are asked to leave.

Again, it's not their rules, it's their insurance rules. IIRC, the have a minimum of 1 million dollars per incident and that costs money. Com'on folks, you know that insurance costs out the butt and it's all a scam.

Wayne
Old November 30, 2005, 10:20 PM   #11
cal

Washington Arm Collectors have had a couple of ND's in the past. Innocently happened but never-the-less very scary as there were a lot of people around and in one incident a person was wounded.

Sorry to say, I think they are justified as with any large group of people, there are bound to be a few who are incapable of rational thought.

No I don't like my CCW being emty and tied up. But consideration for the folks at the show and the membership I will comply with their rule. Also, I've been a member for almost 20 years.

I have two choices. Go or don't go. That also applies to other places that chose to not allow firearms. Seems simple enough for me.
Old November 30, 2005, 10:34 PM   #12
BigFunWMU

same here in MI, no loaded guns in the show, period
Old November 30, 2005, 10:59 PM   #13
mcmoyer

It's been that way for a year now...

Quote:
I went to the gun show in Austin weekend before last, and they had a 30.06 sign posted at the entrance. [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]? I recently moved back to Texas, and don't remember them having a sign when I used to live here. Anyone know when they started?
At the Austin SAXET show last November (2004) some asshat with a CCW had a ND & shot another show attendee in the leg. The signs were posted at the next months show.

Old November 30, 2005, 11:08 PM   #14

I go to the Bill Goodman Gun Show in Nashville, TN and they check all firearms and magazines at the door, also if you bring in ammo to trade, it must be in a container. It doesn't bother me any because there are lots of people that just pick up any gun that they like and start pulling the trigger . With "responsibility" like that, I have no problems with the officials checking everyone on their way in, each time. Great gun show though.

www.ruger-firearms.com
www.smith-wesson.com
Old November 30, 2005, 11:55 PM   #15
Glenn E. Meyer

The Saxet show used to be unusual in NOT having a 30.06 sign. However, I talked to the management after the damn ND. They told me that their insurance and lawyer told them that they had to post in order to continue their coverage. They were really mad as they told me that they thought the sign gave the completely wrong message.

In fact, before the ND - I've seen folks ask if they could carry and were told yes but don't take out the gun.

In general, I don't like to patronize places with signs except as necessary - like the hospital. However, I can't fault them for not tanking their business, so I still go. They were in a hard place. They thought about suing the dude but it wouldn't have worked - or so they said.

In general, I favor carry at the show as not doing admits that gun owners aren't trusted by their own. Interesting logic. I don't want you to carry near me as you are too stupid to not to ND (like this dude) but I'll sell you a gun anyway.
Old December 1, 2005, 01:14 AM   #16
Harley Quinn

30.06 is that similar to a 30 06 or maybe a 454, 308

ND 30.06 what is this sign language? Secret code how about a 211 or 187 or a 459 or 242 or 415.
Why not spell it out. 30.06 and 30 06 come on guys.

ccw abc atf fbi cid Geeze... must be Texas.

I take it to be special law requiring not to be loaded at a place where you think you should be able to carry your loaded firearm.

Thanks for the entertainment.

Harley
Old December 1, 2005, 02:56 AM   #17
Garand Illusion

The two gun shows in Denver both post no loaded guns. You can bring a gun in, but you have to let the guard put a zip tie on it.

Pretty ridiculous, though -- last time I took in two autos to look for holsters (BTW -- Denver gun shows are NOT good places to pick up CC holsters) and while the Guard did put a zip tie on each one, he never checked to see if there was a round in the chamber.

There wasn't, of course -- in fact, I didn't even have the mags with me.

But neither has a magazine safety.
Old December 1, 2005, 07:35 AM   #18
springmom

we all aim to please, Harley

(takes a bow for the state of Texas)

Yes, it's a state law. Somebody who actually had a sense of humor MUST have worked this out, but the "thou shalt not carry here" law, which specifies exactly how big, what wording, what languages the sign must be, is in fact section 30.06 of the relevant portion of the the law.

And that cracks me up

Springmom, wondering what would happen if we carried 30.06's....

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old December 1, 2005, 09:14 AM   #19
craigntx

legal to carry a rifle down the street here (tx)
be it a hunting rifle, assault rifle, or shotty.
'course the swat team may come...
Old December 1, 2005, 09:37 AM   #20
springmom

no swats, thanks

You're probably right. It has been a VERY long time since anybody thought it needful to carry a rifle around town. A SWAT team could put a real crimp in your day.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old December 1, 2005, 09:48 AM   #21
craigntx

the black panthers were running around the george r brown with aks not too long ago.
wonder why swat wasnt called on them.
hmmm...
Old December 1, 2005, 10:44 AM   #22
ozzy1038

Quote:
In general, I favor carry at the show as not doing admits that gun owners aren't trusted by their own. Interesting logic. I don't want you to carry near me as you are too stupid to not to ND (like this dude) but I'll sell you a gun anyway.
I agree, but then again seeing SOME of the gun owners out there i.e.: inexperienced and immature. I wouldn't want to to be nowhere near some of them on a wide open range and especially in a packed gunshow. Albeit these people make up for a small minority of shooters, they are there none the less and they are not helping the cause.

There is a shooting range south of Des Moines that I have heard numerous horror stories of these wannabe gangbangers and such pulling up, with AK's and guns drawn out the window and just spraying. Along with many other horror stories. It was recently made into a state park so hopefully they will be able to clean it up and keep out the trash. Even going to the range that I normally go to I have been a little nervous sometimes. Too dangerous of a hobby to have Mr. "I'm a major stud cause I can shoot my handgun like a gangbanger" on the line next to you with all his friends.
Old December 1, 2005, 10:45 AM   #23
Glenn E. Meyer

The 30.06 sign and the changes in the law were deliberately designed to make it a very obvious and very obnoxious sign if correctly posted. That was to discourage such signage. It was well thought out.

It was not to be funny but to enhance carry.

Those who live under California's lack of freedom and high prices can move here and it will all be explained to you.
Old December 1, 2005, 11:28 AM   #24
cscoios

One of the 10 rules prohibiting CCW in NC is:
Cannot carry to anyplace that charges admission. This means no gun show, no movies, etc.
Old December 1, 2005, 11:36 AM   #25
craigntx

who told you that zach?

:barf: bs