The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 14, 2013, 10:50 PM   #1
SHE3PDOG

FN 49

I found and bought an Egyptian FN 49 chambered in 8mm at a local gun show today. Even though I probably won't shoot it much, I still would like to shoot it. I've been reading a lot about what ammo to run through it, but I can't find anything stating definitively whether or not PPU ammo is good to go for it. I could buy military surplus, I suppose, but PPU is what is readily available at my LGS.

Has anyone had experience running PPU through one of these?

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old July 15, 2013, 12:30 PM   #2
Dirty Dan

FN 49

Had an Austrian FN 49, in, believe it or not, 30-06. Found it accurate, and dependable, as well as really easy to disassemble and clean. Did have a fire control, where I could choose single fire (1 shot at a time, hand fed into the rifle), like a single shot, standard semi auto, and 2/1- two shots for each activation of the trigger. As with most all military weapons, they just seem to function better using milsurp ammo. That is what they were designed to shoot, and if the rifle is in any kind of shape, you should have a great shooter. There is still a lot of milsurp ammo out there, at a reasonable price, but look for the non-corrosive stuff. You may pay a little more, but the smokeless non corrosive will pay for itself, at cleaning time, trust me. Enjoy the FN, you will find the recoil is quite mild, due to the stock design, which will aid your accuracy.
Old July 15, 2013, 02:59 PM   #3
SHE3PDOG

Thanks for the info. The muszzle and throat both guage 0, so it should shoot pretty well.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old July 15, 2013, 03:15 PM   #4
Husqvarna

Dirty Dan? was that some sort of later modification? was it regular legal?

in 30-06 it must've hit way high on the second shot?
Old July 15, 2013, 03:20 PM   #5
Tuzo

Early FN49s were equipped with a one-piece firing pin that may have contributed to slam fire. Check your FN49, very easy disassembly process, to ensure you have a two-piece firing pin with the correct spring.

My FN49 in .30-06 has the two-piece firing pin but I continue to be concerned with potential slam fire. To minimize this risk I reload to NATO standards using harder CCI 34 military rifle primers.
Old July 16, 2013, 09:29 AM   #6
Tuzo

The volume of actuating gas is adjustable. Behind the front sight is a small hole in the front upper handguard. This is a gas exhaust port and the opening is adjusted by turning the gas adjusting sleeve located on the barrel below the handguard. A dedicated spanner tool is available for this sleeve but, if the gun is clean, the sleeve can be adjusted by hand.

Tune the gas actuation so the bolt cycles well and cases are ejected. Too much gas and the bolt is cycled violently. My FN was misadjusted and the stock behind the receiver is cracked. Gas adjustment means the rifle may be tuned to the cartridge loading.
Old July 16, 2013, 04:05 PM   #7
chiefr

I have shot PP thru the FN 49 and a myriad of 8mm surplus from many places thru these rifles. Never had a problem.
The FN 49 is an outstanding design and dates back well before WWII. Unfortunately when introduced after WWII, they were obsolete. Militarys went light.
Old July 21, 2013, 12:57 AM   #8
SHE3PDOG

I figured I'd update this. I fired the Prvi Partizan ammo through it today with the gas port completely opened. It cycled everything perfectly without any failures or slam fires. I thought this might help if anyone else ever searches this forum with the same question.

Old July 21, 2013, 09:57 PM   #9
barnbwt

My FN49 in 30-06 cycles factory ammo with the port completely open as well. I figure the adjustment is really for dirty conditions more than anything. It's nice that it doesn't throw the brass very far or ding it up on that setting, either

TCB