Vortex Diamonback 3-9x40 8 12.90%
Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 13 20.97%
Burris Fullfield 3-9x40 12 19.35%
Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 13 20.97%
Other - COMMENT 15 24.19%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 8, 2013, 12:45 PM   #26
sholling

The Prostaff is a step down from the others in that group and I wasn't overly impressed by the Redfield and I'm not fond of Burris customer service. The Nikon equivalent to the Burris and Weaver on your list is their sweet little Buckmaster. In your price range I would look at a Weaver V10 2-10x38 but if you can afford $240 I'd invest in a Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x40 which is a nice step up from everything on your list.

This ratings list may be of some help.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/recommended_riflescopes.htm

Last edited by sholling; February 8, 2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old February 8, 2013, 01:10 PM   #27
smokiniron

+1 for Redfield Revolution. I mounted a 3-9x with 50 mm primary (old eyes, but better light gathering) on my 30-06 Savage Weather Warrior. It took some doing to get a scope fitted to the looong action, but a short receiver Picatinny rail and rings got the eye relief where it was needed. I got the Accurange reticle.
and a few defensive firearms, too!
Old February 8, 2013, 02:53 PM   #28
Tommix

Sholling wrote:
Quote:
The Prostaff is a step down from the others in that group and I wasn't overly impressed by the Redfield
+1. I agree, the Nikon Buckmaster is probably the right scope for this group. The Prostaff is outclassed by the Burris and Vortex. So's the Leupold VX-1; the VX-II and VX-2 belong here.

I still think the Diamondback is the class of the field here. The extra 20% field of view over the others sealed it for me. At 3X, the Vortex has the same FOV as most 2X scopes. More FOV makes getting on target so much faster and easier.

And here's another ranking list for what it's worth: pe-scale-discussion-thread-2009_topic16515_page1.html
Old February 8, 2013, 04:22 PM   #29
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommix
+1. I agree, the Nikon Buckmaster is probably the right scope for this group. The Prostaff is outclassed by the Burris and Vortex. So's the Leupold VX-1; the VX-II and VX-2 belong here.
You do realize the new VX1 and the old VX-II are the same scope right? Leupold when they upgrade their top end models the technology gets pushed down the lineup of scopes. Since the VX6 line got upgraded they upgraded all of the other lines so think of it this way: VX1= old VXII scopes except for the 4-12X40 which still uses friction adjustments. However the lenses coating got upgraded and you now have 1/4 MOA click adjustments on the turrents. The only real difference I can see between the VX1 and VXII is the parallax is set at 75 yards with the VX1 not 100 yards like the VXII. However, it really isn't going to matter to most hunters and shooters that the parallax is set 25 yards shorter.
Old February 8, 2013, 07:23 PM   #30
sholling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommix
I still think the Diamondback is the class of the field here. The extra 20% field of view over the others sealed it for me. At 3X, the Vortex has the same FOV as most 2X scopes. More FOV makes getting on target so much faster and easier.
I don't own any Vortex scopes - yet, but I love their binoculars (I have a Diamondback and a Viper) and agree about FOV. Not having tried the Diamondback scope I'll take your word its quality is a good and their binoculars. A wide FOV is one of the things I like about the Weaver V10 2-10x38. At 2x you have a nice wide field of view and the fully multicoated optics are likely to transmit more light than the cheaper multicoated optics found in some of the others. Honestly if it were me I'd scrape up the extra $40 over the budget for the Grand Slam.
Old February 9, 2013, 02:26 PM   #31
hootey

Take a look at the Weaver K4 & the K6. Great fixed power scopes. Very tough and dependable scopes. Non-adjustable = fewer parts = more dependable