The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 13, 2000, 02:37 PM   #1
Peter M. Eick

With so many readers using progressive presses (I still use an old rockchucker).

How many of you sort your brass by make and nickle/brass before the next reload? Also does caliber matter?

My question is based upon the time I spend sorting cases into different coffee cans during reloading sessions, and also how I should handle the range brass question (ie: brass not from my gun.)

------------------
Old February 13, 2000, 09:01 PM   #2
Big Bunny

Peter - per your 'pressure signs' entry, it is again a question most readers would rather not tackle!

Of course ALL brass should be sorted into correct batches, but few do it. Even +P is different from standard cases and so are nickle plated.

My only personal tips are to (1)colour mark your cases and (2)make a "funnel" out of 1/4" wood slats to form a "vee" on a card table or bench. The cases are dumped at the broad end and are sorted by hand out of the narrow end of the funnel in a methodical way and put into bags etc at your foot.(used by - ARA(OZ Army)- at their ranges still).

They then can be washed in petrol/other fluid, dried and then perhaps tumbled in a gem polisher, if needed.

A multi-nail rack om a piece of flat wood also helps drying and ID of cases, (even at this late stage!)

My experience of auto presses/reloading machines is not good, with reversed primers and double loads in plentiful evidence locally.
So - I too use a Rockchucker press !!!

------------------
***Big Bunny***
Old February 13, 2000, 10:21 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I'm picky about cases I intend to reload as "full house". I'll sort through for "good brass" and set them aside. Plinker loads, it doesn't matter.

I segregate all my rifle brass, given the variation in case-volumes between brands and the much higher pressures.

FWIW, Art
Old February 13, 2000, 10:44 PM   #4
danm

Well, you asked for our methods. I, for no
reason that I would suggest you follow, use
only three 'brands' of brass. Fed, Win, and
Starline. I am very careful to not pick up
any range brass. I keep it carefully sorted
by the number of times I have loaded it.
After a certain number of loadings ( differs
for the different calibers ) I reserve it
for the 'low power lead bullet' reloads. I
also toss it (leave it on the ground at the
range ) after the 10'th load.

DanM
Old February 13, 2000, 11:19 PM   #5
Banzai

I always sort my brass. Usually, my reloads are done with only Starline or Winchester brass, but occasionally I get stuff in from a friend that's something else. I always sort my stuff before tumbling, while I'm in the cleaning mood just from the range. Never had any problem, just tumble one type at a time. I tried using those bags from Lyman, but found them to be more trouble than they're worth. That and they don't allow free flow of the medium around the cases.
Sorting of cases is very important as different makes have different internal volumes. This may not be a big issue with something like a 357, but for 9mm it can be critical.
I reload about 1000 9mm and 40S&W every week to support my habit, and those of my friends on a Lee Pro 1000. Never had any problems, after about 25000 rounds. Just the usual maintenance and cleaning.
Due to the set-up of the ranges here, I usually loose my brass over the firing line (unrecoverable) and get new stuff long before it becomes unserviceable! I've loaded tons of "Range recovered" brass with no problems, although usually to low power levels, and all 40 brass from Glocks goes back in the trash can. Why flirt with disaster?

Tom

------------------
Remember, no matter where you go, there you are!