The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old July 29, 2011, 12:21 AM   #1
C0untZer0

Citizen's Neighborhood Rat Watch in Chicago

I was surprised to learn that a group of people in my uncle's neighborhood in Chicago are shooting rats.

Considering what would happen to them if the Chicago PD caught them shooting guns... it's pretty bold. They're using 22LR I'm not sure if they tried pellet pistols and decided to go to .22 instead or what, but they're using .22 cal pistols and rifles.

They are desperate.

They all have been trapping, and poisoning and calling the city going on two years now and rats are coming into their yards.

So they take turns staying up at night shooting rats in the alley, and no one calls the police to report gunfire or anything like that.
Old July 29, 2011, 01:08 AM   #2
Jim March

IF they're smart they're using those 20gr primer-only things...very safe, very quiet.
Old July 29, 2011, 02:01 AM   #3
jimbob86

Quote:
no one calls the police to report gunfire or anything like that.
Of course! Err-body knows that the only ones with guns are TheOnlyOnes (who nobody wants to screw around with), Dangerous Gang Thugs (same), and the Politically Connected (same-same) .....

....just don't let anybody in the Pest Controllers Local 404 find out about non-union guys taking their job...... there'll be hell to pay !!!
Old July 29, 2011, 07:13 AM   #4
BlueTrain

I'd think .22 shorts are sufficient. I used one once to kill a rat when I lived in a townhouse. The rifle was a Martini single shot. The rat was outside, where he had dug a hole under the slab of the shed. I fired from inside through the open kitchen window.
Buy War Bonds.
Old July 29, 2011, 07:45 AM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I would never use a .22 rimmy on such large targets... Heck... the military uses the 5.56 for this size target. But I doubt this is a true story... The bodies would pile up fast and I do not doubt the effectiveness of hunting the criminal rats at night but they really would need to set up during business hours for best results targeting the politician rats...

Brent
Old July 29, 2011, 08:37 AM   #6
Ruthless4christ

So..... as far as I understand it what these people are doing is against the law correct? If so I’m not sure why we are hypothesizing their methods on this forum.
Old July 29, 2011, 09:02 AM   #7
KyJim

Quote:
IF they're smart they're using those 20gr primer-only things...very safe, very quiet.
+1. Of course, semi-autos would be reduced to single shot guns since the rounds would not cycle the actions.

Quote:
So..... as far as I understand it what these people are doing is against the law correct? If so I’m not sure why we are hypothesizing their methods on this forum.
Maybe it's not against the law. They could possibly argue justification which is a defense for breaking most laws. More importantly, most of us are assuming these are decent people trying to protect their homes and their children. No different than talking about shooting coyotes or rabid skunks except the fact it is in Chicago.
Old July 29, 2011, 09:18 AM   #8
C0untZer0

Well first of all this is a true story.

This neighborhood never had problems with rats in the past, but there were some illegal immigrants who started running a black market food operation out of their garage down the street that started it. They initially brought the rats in. The city did close that guy down but they haven’t been back to enforce that he isn’t storing fruit and vegetables in his garage.

But anyway, this thread isn’t about the best firearm to use on rats, it’s really about civil disobedience. It’s just a statement about how amazed I am that even in the face of Chicago’s very oppressive anti-gun laws, citizens band together and defy it.

I think anti-gun politicians consistently under-estimate the effectiveness of the gun as a tool. People in rural areas understand that firearms are extremely effective tools with tremendous utility in a wide variety of situations.

Someone like Mayor Daley or Emanual actually believe that there is no use for guns in modern society – that hunting is a luxury, people that enjoy target shooting need to take up another sport like bowling or throwing darts, and only the military and law enforcement need firearms.

I doubt these people shooting the rats are members of the NRA or Second Amendment Foundation or anything like that… they’re just at the end of their rope on what to do about the rats and they turned to using 22 rifles to control them.

In an odd twist – last year the city introduced coyotes to try to curb the rats….

http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/20...enience-stores

Last edited by C0untZer0; July 29, 2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old July 29, 2011, 10:58 AM   #9
BlueTrain

No, it's not about civil disobedience. It's about getting away with something that illegal, which is discharging a firearm within city limits. Now it would be civil disobedience if you were doing that outside the courthouse, probably.

Now, this is the first time I've ever heard about black market food. How low can those illegal immigrants go. Next we'll be hearing about black market water.
Buy War Bonds.
Old July 29, 2011, 11:06 AM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

I have to agree, this isn't about civil disobedience, and it's not really on topic for TFL.

Closed.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread