The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old September 7, 2013, 01:00 PM   #1
spacecoast

Bullseye with the new Range Officer

I shot a Bullseye match with my new Springfield Range Officer 1911 pistol today and did OK, scoring on par or slightly below what I usually shoot with centerfire revolvers. I'm very happy with the way the gun performed, and attribute my less-than-expected score to it being the second match of the day, being really hot in Central Florida, shooting a brand new gun (my first centerfire 1911), etc.

On a very positive note, 95 rounds went through the gun flawlessly even though I was nervous about the mags, which seemed to be sticky (discussed here). Before the match started I shot five rounds at 25 yards to get the gun sighted in, and to my surprise the first shot was an X. So I didn't mess further with the sights and ended up tweaking them one click to the right and one click up during the Slow Fire part of the match.

After the second Timed Fire round, I switched from my 200 gr. LSWC reloads to 185 gr. LSWC reloads and benefited immediately from the recoil reduction, my score going from an 89 on the prior round with 200s to a 95 with the 185s. I didn't notice much if any change in the point of impact, so that was nice. Both rounds contained 4.3 grains of Titegroup powder.

I struggled a bit today with Rapid Fire, averaging only 82 points. I think the increased recoil compared to my very lightly loaded revolver rounds definitely made a difference in how fast I can (or can't) get back on target during Rapid Fire. I'll definitely have to work on that, and will also see if I can get away with using less powder in these reloads as well.

I am most definitely not experienced with 1911s, but if I had any criticism of the gun I would say that the trigger is perhaps not as light on this gun as I expected. I haven't measured it but reportedly it's between 5 and 6 pounds on most Range Officers, with a small amount of take-up. Someday I may make the investment to lighten the trigger a bit.

Last edited by spacecoast; September 7, 2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old September 8, 2013, 05:39 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

I agree wholeheartedly

Quote:
make the investment to lighten the trigger a bit
The "investment" can be rather light; suggest a tube of Tetragun Grease, and deliberate application of a bit on your sear and tip of the disconnect.
Then shoot it a bunch.
Old September 11, 2013, 08:19 PM   #3
spacecoast

I measured my trigger pull (rather crudely using exercise weights). It's definitely more than 4 lbs but looks to be a shade under 5 lbs. Not bad for a production gun.
Old September 12, 2013, 03:12 AM   #4
clinck

Trigger pull

I have recently taken up sport shooting IPSC. Any thoughts on the best trigger pull weight? Should one consider changing the factory standard?
Old September 13, 2013, 07:15 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

triggers is personal

My finest carry 1911, also used in USPSA matches, has a weight of under 2lb.

Many suggest 3.5--4.0lb.
Some like 5.0lb.

I like a crisp feel.
Old September 13, 2013, 07:54 AM   #6
allaroundhunter

Bullseye with the new Range Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinck View Post
I have recently taken up sport shooting IPSC. Any thoughts on the best trigger pull weight? Should one consider changing the factory standard?
I like a 2.5-3 lb trigger for competitive purposes. Almost always change the factory standard, unless you are shooting an STI or SVI.
Old September 28, 2013, 04:12 PM   #7
spacecoast

Tested some lighter loads with the Range Officer today during a 300-point Bullseye match. Somewhat surprisingly, the 185 gr. LSWCs pushed by 3.9 grains of Bullseye worked just fine, and were very accurate as well. I have a 12-lb recoil spring on order, and will next be trying 3.5 grains of Bullseye under the same bullet, same as I shoot through my 625.