The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 21, 2008, 08:00 PM   #1
mikenbarb

Someone please tell me how to read the adjustment settings on a Lyman 55.

I somewhat can set it but can anyone tell me how to use this powder measure settings. I cant figure the numbers out with the 3 settings. Am I overlooking something stupid?
Old July 21, 2008, 09:28 PM   #2
BntBrl

3 settings? Ic ould only figure out 2 of them lol. I just adjusted until I got what was a consistent throw. I threw a whole bunch of them and put them back in the hopper until I felt comfortable with it and then I would still weigh tthem all.
Old July 21, 2008, 10:39 PM   #3
LHB1

Mike,
That is one reason I refused to ever own or use a Lyman 55 powder measure. Not worth messing with IMO when the adjustments for other powder measures are so simple and the measures just as accurate.
Old July 22, 2008, 03:46 AM   #4
butta9999

i think the lyman is a volume measure. Not a weight. I use it to throw a close charge then i trickle the rest for the right weight. As the powder goes down in the cylinder it requires further adjustment as the density goes down.
Old July 22, 2008, 06:02 AM   #5
Yoosta B. Blue

Hey there, mikenbarb. I use the Lyman 55 for all my reloads and I trust its accuracy. I have a .PDF file of the instructions that came with the thrower. If you'd like to have it, drop me a PM with your email address and I'll send it to you.

Shoot straight, and shoot safe!

Yoosta B. Blue
Old July 22, 2008, 03:28 PM   #6
gunney 67

Lyman 55 measure

I have a Lyman 55 measure that I bought about 40 years ago and it still throws accurate loads. Remember to keep the three slides in sequence; that is, the top should always be the most open then the one below and so on. otherwise , you risk not filling the lower chambers with powder. I have the original setting chart. give me your address and I'll send you a photocopy.
Old July 22, 2008, 07:47 PM   #7
BntBrl

I only saw two adjustments and looked at it a little. I just started reloading and I was told to weigh everything for a while so I do. I use the lyman55 to throw the powder but I weigh every one too. Its off .1 if at all. I think it is fairly accurate. I wouldnt make a charge without weighing anything as I have no idea how it works by the numbers on the side.
Old July 22, 2008, 08:56 PM   #8
gunney 67

a couple of other things to remember: always use exactly the same repitition of movement each time you throw a charge. if you use the knocker on the front of the measure at the top of the stroke to settle the powder in the chamber, do so exactly the same each time. I use one a t the top of the stroke and one at the bottom to dump the powder. then always check the weight about every 10 th charge on a scale. also, try to keep about the same amount of powder in the reservoir to maintain uniform column weight. you'll probably notice a shearing of the coarse grained powders as you drop the charge. this is normal. there may be more variance of these powders due to this, but it's not critical, they all do it.
Old July 22, 2008, 09:28 PM   #9
gunney 67

to BntBrl

the graduation marks are for reference for your records so you can return to the same charge later. they do have achart to get you close, but I don't know how to get it to you. the third chamber is the large bottom cylinder. you must loosen the set screws and pull it out. the other two are adjusted with the knurled knobs. remember to keep the set screws tight while use so they don't change settings. if I'm throwing large charges I pull all three out together until I'm close, and then finish of to the right weight by using the top scale to slightly increase the weight. Never try to decrease this way or you risk blocking the lower chamber to the powder. you need to maintain a funnel effect, if you get my meaning.
Old July 22, 2008, 10:04 PM   #10
mikenbarb

Thanks everyone. I have other powder measures but this one is going to be dedicated to the top of my AA press for handgun loads. It holds accuracy great after I get it set but it isnt user friendly with all the stuff on it. What were they thinking when they designed this one? An engineer somewhere is laughing to himself when he thinks of a second owner trying to figure it out with no manual. They should have put a decal with instructions on it.
Old July 22, 2008, 10:22 PM   #11
BntBrl

I gave up trying to figure it out. I just unscrew them until I get what I need. After it is throwing what I need I tighten the set crews and go from there. Occasionally it will get off when the hopper gets too low, so like you said, keep the hopper about the same and you should be okay.
Old July 24, 2008, 02:02 AM   #12
butta9999

me too i just adjust it till i get it close enough and then i trickle the remainder in. Too confusing for me.
Old July 24, 2008, 10:16 AM   #13
TEDDY

no.55

the problem is your to young to understand the system.old timers did understand.now there is a new system but lyman never changed.I have one for black powder an original measure with sheet metal tube.It really was for bulk powder.all measures have to be use with scale to set it.I even have the old scales.like was posted just pull large cylinder out and adjust close then use sliders to touch it up.lee measures [disc]dont need checking after setting.
but they throw light so that you can set them with out scales.
Old July 24, 2008, 10:22 AM   #14
jamaica

Those graduations on the thing are useless, unless you want to record their setting for future reference when going for the same charge again. Even then it is throw a charge, weigh it and adjust. Basically that is how you set it up anyway.

The 55 is a great tool in my opinion. I have sure enjoyed mine.
Old July 24, 2008, 07:18 PM   #15
mikenbarb

Teddy, Too young? Im 89 years old.(LOL,Kidding. Im 39) I got the owners manual download from Yoosta.B Blue(Thank you much) and kinda got it figured out some. I have been checking my charges every 10th one I throw and its perfect every time. I use the knocker on the up and lightly on the down stroke to be sure all grains are dropped. Im not happy with the tiny little numbers stamped in the adjuster but thats life. I have it mounted on the die plate on my AA press for handgun. I pretty much set it and leave it alone. I use my Harrell for my rifle and large caliber loads. Thanks everyone. Im glad im not the only one that cant figure it out and feel better now.
Old July 24, 2008, 09:15 PM   #16
azjohn

I have 2 of them; but mine say Ideal on them. That must make me real old!Lyman has the instructions on their site.
Old July 25, 2008, 01:08 AM   #17
BntBrl

I used mine a few minutes ago. I messed around and got the right charge set and off I went. I cant imagine making a setting and just loading ammo. I weight them and they are good, but something about not knowing that bugs me...
Old July 25, 2008, 10:27 AM   #18
Sport45

I don't pay any attention to the numbers on any of my powder measures. If I need to make a big adjustment I move the big slide, for smaller adjustments I use the smaller slides. Be sure to keep them stepped out progressively from big to small as others have mentioned so the chamber always completely drains. If you get as close as you can with the big slide you'll find the measure easier to work since you won't be cutting as many powder kernels. This is most noticable when loading extruded (stick) powders.
Old July 25, 2008, 12:37 PM   #19
Threefeathers

I like Lyman stuff but I don't like this scale. It won't throw fine powders like TAC with any consistancy. I've gone back to my RCBS Powder Measure.
Old July 25, 2008, 01:19 PM   #20
mikenbarb

AZ, Mine is Ideal also but i guess their the same? Mine dont have the instructions on the side and wish it did, Im gonna call Lyman and see if they can send me some of them decals. That would be a good thing to have on it. I also have an old Redding Master and a Harrell thats perfect every time I check weight. The Lyman holds to +-1/8 grain so I guess its not that bad for what im using it for. My rifle cases get done with the Harrell and the Redding and the Lyman55 is on my AA for handgun. The Harrell is as accurate as my scale can tell and the best 20 dollar investment I ever made.
Old July 25, 2008, 01:45 PM   #21
Alleykat

Quote:
think the lyman is a volume measure. Not a weight. I use it to throw a close charge then i trickle the rest for the right weight. As the powder goes down in the cylinder it requires further adjustment as the density goes down.
Every powder measure with a powder hopper throws by volume.
Old July 26, 2008, 04:48 AM   #22
Sport45

Quote:
AZ, Mine is Ideal also but i guess their the same? Mine dont have the instructions on the side and wish it did, Im gonna call Lyman and see if they can send me some of them decals.
I think there's a little misunderstanding here. Azjohn said the instructions were on Lyman's site. Not the side of the measure.
Old July 26, 2008, 03:33 PM   #23
mikenbarb

Duh, Thanks. I just noticed that. Boy, Do I feel stupid.